TSN: Oilers getting a lot of calls on Nurse

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Like i said not really revisiting that. My point is this. Sure YOU want to win now like everybody else. Is that reality though with the group Edmonton has? The answer is obviously NO. If they feel the best course is too use their three world class forwards as a template and try to become a speed, skill team up front then Lucic absolutely has to go. The problem is (and has been) he will HAVE to be packaged with something good to move that contract. Maybe Nurse. Especially if they are not as high on him as other teams are. I am just using the Blues as an example because Dunn and Kyrou fit this scenario for Oilers. Eddy and Jake Allen too make sense there. I am sure the Blues are not the only team that has the pieces that fits but i think it would look something like this for Edmonton. I could totally see why they might do something like this though. A course change sells tickets plus the GM would be a local hero for dumping Lucic's money. Let's face it, changes are definitely coming for the Oil and fans might not like what it looks like at first.

Holland would most definitely not be a hero for limiting Nurse’s value by stapling him to Lucic. Edmundson isn’t overly interesting.

Dunn and Kyrou are interesting pieces for sure. I’d give you Lucic straight up for Allen.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Look, I get it, the Oil want to hold on to one of their guys who have developed into an NHL player. But, lets be honest about his current value to OTHER TEAMS. He is a big strong kid who can skate. He isn't the strongest defender off the rush and makes too many questionable plays.
I think the kid will continue to get better, so I see no reason for the Oil to trade him right now. I do think he is one of the players that is part of the solution, not the problem.
Ehlers holds more value. He is a 60 plus point, dynamic winger. Even last season, he was trending to 50 plus over a full season, in a down year.

Reactions: Huffer

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Look, I get it, the Oil want to hold on to one of their guys who have developed into an NHL player. But, lets be honest about his current value to OTHER TEAMS. He is a big strong kid who can skate. He isn't the strongest defender off the rush and makes too many questionable plays.
I think the kid will continue to get better, so I see no reason for the Oil to trade him right now. I do think he is one of the players that is part of the solution, not the problem.
Ehlers holds more value. He is a 60 plus point, dynamic winger. Even last season, he was trending to 50 plus over a full season, in a down year.

We will keep Nurse then. It will take an overpay to get him.

Reactions: Seanaconda

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Lolwut?

It'd take MUCH more than Ehlers to get Nurse

What are you smoking ?

Clearly not that good Edmonton weed. Like I said, I don't think the Oil should trade him. He's more valuable to them, but lets not get ahead of ourselves regarding his value.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Clearly not that good Edmonton weed. Like I said, I don't think the Oil should trade him. He's more valuable to them, but lets not get ahead of ourselves regarding his value.
Maybe Winnipeg should get an airport so they can import that good weed. Then we could talk

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
We will keep Nurse then. It will take an overpay to get him.

You may not be in that position though. If they are going to make a quick course change (something there is a lot of pressure to do) they almost have to get rid the anchor from around their neck which is the Lucic contract. Not only the contract but also his skill set doesn’t really fit that team. You talk to Most Oilers fans and they will tell you he is holding them back on the ice also. Priority number one for Edmonton should be getting a starting goaltender, priority number two is that contract. And you can forget about getting Jake Allen or any other starting goalie for him straight up, that is a pipe dream. I am actually one of the few in North America that thinks Lucic could be a sneaky pick up for some team. You put him back in Boston or on the Blues and I think you are talking about a different player. That said, his actual trade value is below zero due to the money owed and the fact he just doesn’t fit in Edmonton. He has negative trade value.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I imagine it would be Nurse in a package with Puljujarvi and picks for Subban, Letang, or Barrie. Doubt we consider downgrading on D.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Lolwut?

What are you smoking ?
More than a proven 60 point top 6 winger, signed at 6M for 6yrs to get a one time 40 point D with 1 yr left on his contract, that doesn’t even play a position of need?
Sure...
Smoke another one

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
How is it possible a city whose pride and joy is named the Jets doesn't even have an Airport? Whaaaaat????

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Like i said not really revisiting that. My point is this. Sure YOU want to win now like everybody else. Is that reality though with the group Edmonton has? The answer is obviously NO. If they feel the best course is too use their three world class forwards as a template and try to become a speed, skill team up front then Lucic absolutely has to go. The problem is (and has been) he will HAVE to be packaged with something good to move that contract. Maybe Nurse. Especially if they are not as high on him as other teams are. I am just using the Blues as an example because Dunn and Kyrou fit this scenario for Oilers. Eddy and Jake Allen too make sense there. I am sure the Blues are not the only team that has the pieces that fits but i think it would look something like this for Edmonton. I could totally see why they might do something like this though. A course change sells tickets plus the GM would be a local hero for dumping Lucic's money. Let's face it, changes are definitely coming for the Oil and fans might not like what it looks like at first.

He's 24.

He'll help the Oilers win now and for the next decade.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Not an Oilers fan or Red Wings fan, but if I was the Oilers I would love to do that. Imagine AA on McDavid's wing. Wow. Maybe the 2 fastest players in the league?

As for Nurse in general, I would look at packaging Nurse with Lucic. Not only do I think Nurse is a sell-high, but I think the Oilers HAVE to right their cap woes sooner rather than later.

Sacrificing Nurse to rid of Lucic would be absolutely insane. The height of lunacy.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Sacrificing Nurse to rid of Lucic would be absolutely insane. The height of lunacy.

I respectfully disagree. Edmonton has to get out from this cap hell. You can't waste some of McDavid's prime years. I'd do whatever I could outside of trading the big boys to fix the issue and start building a winner. Holding onto a figment of a team is pointless.

Reactions: cardinalnation

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
I respectfully disagree. Edmonton has to get out from this cap hell. You can't waste some of McDavid's prime years. I'd do whatever I could outside of trading the big boys to fix the issue and start building a winner. Holding onto a figment of a team is pointless.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
This guy gets it. Outside of getting a starting Goalie it has to start with Lucic. Oilers fans and brass Have to be tired of seeing him cause off sides calls. The reason he doesn't play with the top players anymore if you ask me. He is a square peg in a round hole for what that squads strength is. He hurts them on the ice as well as in the financial ledger.

Reactions: greasysnapper

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They aren't in cap hell. They have about 8m of cap space and only Khaira to re-sign. Teams like the Leafs are in cap hell because they have minimal cap space and a huge RFA to re-sign.
Yes, they need roster help but there's plenty of ways to improve outside of blowing a lot of money on mediocre free agents and they have plenty of salary coming off the books in the next 2 seasons.

The Oilers are not going to sacrifice one of their best players to rid of Lucic's contract. That's extremely poor GMing, something that Chia would do. Dumping Nurse isn't "building a winner", that's setting them back further even with Lucic's contract off the books.

Reactions: booyakasha

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Nurse is one of 3 untouchables with McDavid and Draisaitl. Least that’s my hope
McDavid, Drai, and Klefbom should be the 3 untouchables, If you extended that list to 4 I'd argue for RNH over Nurse, Nurse should be 5th in the pecking order.
Lolwut?

What are you smoking ?
I disagree Ehlers is a very close match to Nurse in value.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Cap hell is over after next season in Edmonton even with Lucic on the club.
Core locked up with 25M+ spend. Additional $$ saved if we want to buy out the last year of Sekera or Russell.

Holland really just has to be smart from here onwards and NOT go whale hunting in UFA market/ Subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad