Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is not the losing it is how we lose.

what bothers me is the team could be playing a defensive system to avoid losing like this. it is pretty obvious where we are. but the coaching staff has not adjusted. instead we are seeing the kind of undisciplined crap the oilers used to roll out in the taylor hall era with the top 6 guys getting their points while the team plays like garbage. so the question is, is green delusional or has he lost the room and given up?

green is a lame duck. benning is a dead man walking. apparently aquaman just wants the world to burn.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
it is not the losing it is how we lose.

what bothers me is the team could be playing a defensive system to avoid losing like this. it is pretty obvious where we are. but the coaching staff has not adjusted. instead we are seeing the kind of undisciplined crap the oilers used to roll out in the taylor hall era with the top 6 guys getting their points while the team plays like garbage. so the question is, is green delusional or has he lost the room and given up?

green is a lame duck. benning is a dead man walking. apparently aquaman just wants the world to burn.

The roster is also a huge issue, which is Benning's fault. Benning has been the one constant factor during these last 7 years. Shit rolls down hill.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really am done with Roussel. Totally turned the game around, and not for us.

Also furious with Green. Game tied 3-3, Horvat line has our first sustained pressure and offensive zone time. Gains an offensive zone face off. Oilers put out third or fourth line. Perfect chance to put the Lotto Line out to press the attack. Green instead comes out with Beagle’s unit, who immediately get brought to the other end of the ice and the Oilers get the 4-3 goal. Buffoonery I haven’t seen since Willie Desjardins was the coach.

Okay this was absolutely crazy and you're absolutely right.

I went back and watched it, wtf..

-EP last shift ends at 9:30 left tie game, then roussel Gaudette sutter, then TV timeout, Horvat line follows timeout and gets sustained pressure as you mentioned, then sutter Gaudette roussel again and a little more pressure.
Then 7:10 left O-ZONE faceoff beagle mack virt juolevi myers vs russell larsson khaira ennis Archibald.
Van won faceoff too.
Outta the o-zone 7 seconds later.
In our net 28 seconds after that.

EP next shift 6:30 mark, 3 mins of GAME time, plus whistles and a tv timeout after his last shift.
That is pretty damming, extremely bad coaching.

Also 3:40 left and the high scoring roussel gaudette sutter line comes out after lotto line.

Full 2014 playoffs Willie type stuff.

Green isn't the biggest problem here, but he's a bottom-of-the-barrel NHL head coach and should not be here next season.

Have seen this since Utica - he's a coach who will defend a tie.

When did Antoine Roussel gain access to a fountain of youth?

f*** off, Travis.

And of course, Green always defaults to this. Always the kids at fault. Never the veterans. Have seen this since Utica as well.

Probably Zack MacEwen's fault for not tracking the pinballing puck on the 4-3 goal well enough.

This is a completely healthy roster aside from two bottom line players. There isn't any help coming from within.

Zero excuses. This is the team that Jim Benning built.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
The roster is also a huge issue, which is Benning's fault. Benning has been the one constant factor during these last 7 years. Shit rolls down hill.

good lord man. have you ever had an original thought? benning sucks? really? you felt the strong need to post that? great insight.

my point is subtler than your endless hammer blows.

from the perspective of the players and coach, shit happens. it is how you deal with it that counts. the roster is not so terrible that a coach could not find a way to keep it in games and have it lose with dignity and defiance.

but we are not doing that. we are collapsing like italians in ww2.

so maybe the team has tuned out the coach. or maybe travis is playing 4d zen coaching phil jackson mind games to teach them the path to enlightenment. or maybe he is tuned out himself with no contract.

whatever the case, it has implications beyond benning.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
good lord man. have you ever had an original thought? benning sucks? really? you felt the strong need to post that? great insight.

from the perspective of the players and coach, shit happens. it is how you deal with it that counts. the roster is not so terrible that a coach could not find a way to keep it in games and have it lose with dignity and defiance.

so maybe the team has tuned out the coach. or maybe travis is playing 4d zen coaching phil jackson mind games to teach them the path to enlightenment. or maybe he is tuned out himself with no contract.

Yeah I agree. Some folks really have to be more critical in their thinking.

At the end of the day though I'm all for a clean house. Management and coaching can be shown the door as far as I'm concerned.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

A new GM would likely hire a new coach - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
I don't like Green much either, but firing him isn't going to resolve the team's issues. Especially long-term.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

At the end of the day though I'm all for a clean house. Management and coaching can be shown the door as far as I'm concerned.
Fans of a sports team need to display zero critical thought. For fans it’s pretty simple, WIN! The masses are uneasy right now. It isn’t intellectual, at all!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Two games that followed the same pattern of good play at the start of the game, early leads..and the inevitable implosion at the end.

Makes you wonder whats going on in the players heads right now?..Its a mentally fragile team..The other teams in the division must be getting the book on the Canucks..Dont worry about the score, keep pushing , and they will crack.

I could understand , if the team didnt have talent, but it does..Or they didnt like the coach, but they do..Or if it was a divided dressing room, but from what we know, they are a very tight bunch.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Canucks weren’t exactly playing well to get the 3-0 lead. It never felt safe.

It’s not about mental fragility in the players it’s about a bad team with bad coaching from both the technical aspects and the ice time allotments.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Lol, okay. I guess my mistake was assuming people want to have an intelligent discussion. My bad.
Time for you to bring that intelligent discussion instead of passive aggression while providing little of what you’re assuming people want.

The roster and make up of the blueline is the GMs responsibility.

7 years in, best not to let the guy keep trying.

talking about wanting more critical thinking when you’ve been basically excusing the GM most of the time.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
April, 2023

Seawateronice:
Well, there you have it. The Kraken clownpound the Canucks and are headed to the playoffs again. The good news is this game drops the Canucks to 4th last. One wonders if this is Bennings last call with the team.

The good:
Hughes - Bit shakey defensively Getting points though
Demko - Could have been 10-0 but kept it to 7-3
Motte - Never saw him being a 25 goal scorer but here we are.

The bad:
Virtanen - why the f*** is he still on the team? Signing him to that stupid 4x4 deal was so f***ing stupid. f*** Benning.

The ugly:
Myers - Scratched the previous game and benched in the 3rd.
Reeves - Of course a player Benning gave a retirement deal to. Couldnt keep up all season and just got caught watching on the 6th and 7th goal against.

f***ing bleak man

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Two games that followed the same pattern of good play at the start of the game, early leads..and the inevitable implosion at the end.

Makes you wonder whats going on in the players heads right now?..Its a mentally fragile team..The other teams in the division must be getting the book on the Canucks..Dont worry about the score, keep pushing , and they will crack.

I could understand , if the team didnt have talent, but it does..Or they didnt like the coach, but they do..Or if it was a divided dressing room, but from what we know, they are a very tight bunch.

or the team, after losing key pieces and replacing them with nothing, just isn’t very good. I wonder who’s fault that is. Nobody’s I guess.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

235b77124f00c188f61f2030fcaaa329.gif

Life just ain't fair

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
or the team, after losing key pieces and replacing them with nothing, just isn’t very good. I wonder who’s fault that is. Nobody’s I guess.
The lack of cap flexibility is Bennings fault, nobody arguing that..I dont agree that they've been replaced with 'nothing' though.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

And as many if not more implications within Benning's sphere of influence.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
People are bending themselves into pretzels trying to figure 'what's wrong with the Vancouver Canucjks?' The short answer is 'nothing'. They simply weren't very good to be begin with.

Last year they survived and became a playoff team by quirk of the COVID schedule and some all-world goaltending from Markstrom. This year they're getting 'average' goaltending and they're in a division that is exposing their blueline and lack of overall team speed night after night.

I have no idea if coaching is part of it. All I know, there are teams out there with a lot less talent than even the Canucks have who play a lot better defensively.

As for the rest, seven years into the Benning tenure, and this team has had the worst regular season of any team in hockey over that stretch. And they're capped out with a string of truly backbreaking contracts.

There's really only guy who can do anything about this mess--the owner. Until he steps up and takes charge, I'm not really getting too worked up anymore about the wins and losses.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Why are you agreeing with someone who is the least critical in their thinking of Benning.

Well, second least.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

See this is where I think you are wrong slightly we only really have top end talent in say 5 players and that’s only on the offensive side of the puck.

we have 1 player that is defensively competent for their role (Schmidt) and that might be a stretch right now. Edler is played too much, Hughes is not ready to be the defensive player we need and may never be; myers is playing in a role above his abilities.

is there a singular forward or forward line you would put out there to shutdown the other teams top line?

we (and not just you) always talk about talent in terms of offense but we forget it takes talent to be a defensive player (Vlasic/Tanev/later years Scott stevens etc)

this team has a major lack of talent(defensively) which was covered up by markstrom last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad