Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The canucks are only 2 games back and have 33 games left. Let's wait before judging the season. They can still make the playoffs.

Two games back????????????

The Canucks are 4 points back of the Canadiens but the Canadiens have 5 games in hand, which with their pts % of .611 they rate to get 6 points out of. It is more like the Canucks being 10 pts back, the actual 4 pts plus 6 for the games in hand.

They're in deep doodoo. Two wins won't get them back in a race even if you give Montreal two losses-even though it will look like it if you ignore how many games each team has played.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Thank God....I was afraid the Canucks were actually going to kill the tank there for awhile. Canucks have suffered some embarrassing losses so far this year, but this game might be the worst. From up 3-0 to down 4-3 in regulation.

The last couple of games are the kind of results that would get a coach fired in a lot of markets....but apparently the owner thinks 'they're on the right track'. So they'll limp through to the end of the season.

On an individual basis, Miller looks like he'd rather be anywhere else right now. I have no idea where his off-season home is, but looks to me he can't wait to get back there.

Watching Edler these days is enough to cause a lump in your throat...such a warrior for the Canucks over the years, but his career is ending with whimper rather than a bang. And with Eriksson benched, the next worst UFA signing of the Benning era will be Myers. Too slow for this division, and might be too slow period.

Can we officially designate 'a tank thread' now?
I don’t have a lump in my throat at all about Edler. This is on management and coaching. They are riding him into the ground like he’s 2011 Edler. This is f***ing ridiculous.

He would be a fine #4 and preferably bottom pair defenseman. This guy is playing in every key situation and still eats pucks every night.

People love to blame the player for playing bad when he shouldn’t even be in those situations. It’s unfair to even expect Edler to consistently put up good games when he’s aged, gotten slower and taken a lot of abuse on his body over the years. Like, duh he’s not playing up to snuff, he’s almost 35 years old.

I’ll stick up for Edler until the day I die. Been so sick of the slander on this guy because he’s being forced to act like he’s 26 years old again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Two games back????????????

The Canucks are 4 points back of the Canadiens but the Canadiens have 5 games in hand, which with their pts % of .611 they rate to get 6 points out of. It is more like the Canucks being 10 pts back, the actual 4 pts plus 6 for the games in hand.

They're in deep doodoo. Two wins won't get them back in a race even if you give Montreal two losses-even though it will look like it if you ignore how many games each team has played.
Realistically, I think Tor, Win, Edm are going to qualify. So, that leaves Mon, Cal, Van and heck, even Ottawa for the final spot.

Even if you just give Mon 0.500 record for those 5 games in hand, that puts them 9 points up. Heck, let's even put them at 8 points up.

TDL is April 12. There are now 15 games between now and the end of March.

4 games vs Win and Mon each. Another 2 vs. Tor, Edm, and Ott and 1 vs Cal.

So, 30 points available. Anything under 20 points and I would call it over. Pretty much have to go 3-1 vs Montreal. If they split 2-2 with the Habs, it's over.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Never been the same after injury he suffered last season.
he was 30 and a half in March 2020 when he tore his ACL. Not a spring chicken but not an old man. He played well in year 1 up to that point. Looked good with Horvat for stretches. Never the same afterwards. Could have suffered with a 15-20% drop in his play, but he's maybe now only playing at 20% of what he was before in terms of effectiveness.

Some antagonizers are smart, others are not. Marchand, is a smart rat. Dirty rat, but a smart one. Roussel isn't a smart one. Not for a while.

Honestly, as much as fans want him scratched for someone else, personally, I hate what he did. Don't like that at all. And he should answer for it. Would like him to do what Forbert did and answer the bell if someone from EDM challenges him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
he was 30 and a half in March 2020 when he tore his ACL. Not a spring chicken but not an old man. He played well in year 1 up to that point. Looked good with Horvat for stretches. Never the same afterwards. Could have suffered with a 15-20% drop in his play, but he's maybe now only playing at 20% of what he was before in terms of effectiveness.

Some antagonizers are smart, others are not. Marchand, is a smart rat. Dirty rat, but a smart one. Roussel isn't a smart one. Not for a while.
While Marchand is a rat (a rat I wish we had...get over it guys), he provides so much more than his antics are worth it.

Roussel being an idiot (not a rat) and also not providing one good thing in a hockey game is not worth the antics. Having rats like Roussel and not having them perform AT ALL, is more a distraction and hassle to everyone involved.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Puljujarvi starting swinging at Roussel first it looked like. Or at least they started swinging at each other at the same time. Then Jesse played the victim card. Maybe he will drop his gloves next time...

Reactions: HockeyWooot

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You know you can't stop it.

122f0495583b5c028ed1cb454f8879bc.gif

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
So I paused the game midway through the 2nd and just finished it. What the hell. Someone please bench Roussel, he's an absolute liability.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Thank God....I was afraid the Canucks were actually going to kill the tank there for awhile. Canucks have suffered some embarrassing losses so far this year, but this game might be the worst. From up 3-0 to down 4-3 in regulation.

The last couple of games are the kind of results that would get a coach fired in a lot of markets....but apparently the owner thinks 'they're on the right track'. So they'll limp through to the end of the season.

On an individual basis, Miller looks like he'd rather be anywhere else right now. I have no idea where his off-season home is, but looks to me he can't wait to get back there.

Watching Edler these days is enough to cause a lump in your throat...such a warrior for the Canucks over the years, but his career is ending with whimper rather than a bang. And with Eriksson benched, the next worst UFA signing of the Benning era will be Myers. Too slow for this division, and might be too slow period.

Can we officially designate 'a tank thread' now?

You are just flat out wrong about Edler, he's still one of the Canucks better all round defensemen who is getting ridden because they have so few d-men who can actually defend. He is not a top pairing d-man anymore but he brings immensely more value than everyone except Hughes and maybe now Schmidt. I really don't understand what you are watching. Myers is however a real problem.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ugh. Bad loss. They're just finding ways to lose now. One step forward, two drunken stumbles back.

--I have never, ever seen three dumber hockey players than Virtanen, Puljuljarvi and Nurse. The NHL's all body no brain team. I swear to god if you stuck them in a round room and told them to piss in the corner they'd all die of ruptured bladders.

--I will never, ever get tired of seeing Mike Smith get scored on.

--Juolevi, bless his little heart. He's actually...looking not too too terribly bad lately. He'll never live down his draft position, but there might just *might* still be a potential NHL dman in there after all that's been said and hey, anything is better than nothing at this point. Just hope the management of this team is cleaned out so professionals might have a chance at rehabilitating the kid.

--Hoglander a bit quieter tonight. Still more involved in the play than most. I'd like to see Miller-Pettersson-Hoglander and Pearson (not that I'm wild about him, but nobody else stands out there either)-Horvat-Boeser for a game or two.

--Bottom six can all just f*** off for all I care.

--Pearson reminds me of late-stage Higgins without the sense of humour.

--Green sucks. But WD was still worse. Given a choice between them I'll still take Green, and I'm by no means a fan. Like so many others in a position of prominence in the corporate family, is clearly out of ideas. Should be part of the total housecleaning that can't come soon enough.

--Edler's decline is sad but inescapable. Love me some Eddie, but his time is obviously over. Next year I just hope he signs with a deep, vet team than could realistically thought to go the distance. Give him a shot to win one before he retires, because he'd still be serviceable as a 4/5 guy on Vegas or Tampa or somewhere like that.

--Goaltending second best again.

42f756cdbf33557d5ebe9657f02cca61.png

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Lines AINT working. Try this next game, nice in balanced:

Miller Horvat Gaudette
Eriksson Pettersson Hoglander
Roussell Sutter Virtanen
Macewan Beagle Boeser

I think I barfed a little after seeing that line-up...

Why would you even think about putting Eriksson beside Pettersson? Plays die on Ericsson’s stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad