Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I stopped watching after the first because, well, I can’t really be bothered to shorten my sleep for this team anymore. Not at all surprised they managed to blow the 3 goal lead they built or that they couldn’t even manage to scrape out a point.

Bad teams find ways to lose. This is a bad team.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Because it's ultimately pointless. Just play out this season which we know will continue to be a disaster and clean house in the offseason. It doesn't accomplish anything to fire them now.

Yes it does. It gives a new GM a deadline period to start getting rid of the trash on this roster. Not to mention it signals to the core that what was put around them this year is indeed unacceptable and needs to be addressed. There are several more reasons.

The only reasons not to are purely financial.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Yes it does. It gives a new GM a deadline period to start getting rid of the trash on this roster. Not to mention it signals to the core that what was put around them this year is indeed unacceptable and needs to be addressed. There are several more reasons.

Good point about the deadline.

Makes it pretty much imperative or we are wasting at least a year.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The vets are so unlikeable on this team. Bad attitudes, bad play, bad contracts. And Green consistently only calls out the kids who are the ones actually carrying the load.

I expect a win streak at some point in the season, the team has deserved to win some of the games they've lost lately. I can only hope that it comes after the trade deadline.

It's funny watching the things we've talked about for a couple years come to fruition and seeing everyone else's massive shock and confusion. I was confused in summer and am still confused now why people are so surprised that we're not a good team.

People acted like we were reading tea leaves and roleplaying nostradamus when all we did was open the canucks situation on capfriendly and reflect on it for a minute.

The contention window starts 2022-2023. What we do this year and this summer mainly impacts the ceiling of that time period. What we do next year impacts the floor.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
got no words for how bad that game was...essentially playing against a team that has handicap for 40 minutes...how does management/coaching just not hand in their resignation letters already because of shame?

Number of games to reopening tank thread: 8

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Same with the coach. GM needs a period of time to evaluate Green and (inevitably) install his new guy. All of these things take time and it's deleterious to the long term well-being of the team to delay the decision.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Same with the coach. GM needs a period of time to evaluate Green and (inevitably) install his new guy. All of these things take time and it's deleterious to the long term well-being of the team to delay the decision.
Planning is important, right? Has this current group, which is led by the puppet master Frank The Tank, displayed any planning? These are the No Plan guys.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He broke the first rule of hockey (or maybe the 14) : Do NOT give the opposing team a rallying cry when you have the lead.
Bloody ridiculous.
It he is not benched next game..

I will not be surprised with our owners..
Check Roussells ice time after theincident. Coach Green increased his playing time even tho it motivated the opposition team. Clown coach and clown Roussell. Send him to the Uber team or whatever its called

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Check Roussells ice time after theincident. Coach Green increased his playing time even tho it motivated the opposition team. Clown coach and clown Roussell. Send him to the Uber team or whatever its called
Are you referring to Green or Roussell?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

And ego.

Reactions: Jack Burton

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The quality of play here is making me question if even keeping Toffoli or Tanev would have made a difference here. There's something off with this team

What's wrong is the message management sent to the players when they declined to do what was necessary to sign their MVP from the last two seasons, the leader on the blueline and top 6 help that fit in fairly well (and was actually a decent pro-scouting add even if they paid too much). So I do think those players make a difference.

However, I also don't think they would be anything more than a bubble team with them because of all the dead weight on the roster. Dead weight in decline.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What you have to like about Greener is he goes with his gut rather than stats and metric.
Imagine you have an 18 goal scorer sitting watching the second power play bounce another off the board. It is humbling to watch Greener's mind at work.

Reactions: vanuck

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The canucks are only 2 games back and have 33 games left. Let's wait before judging the season. They can still make the playoffs.

In reality they are likely 10 points back of a playoff spot with the Jets and Habs having 5 games in hand.

So doing the math that means they need the equivalent of 5 more wins than those teams for the rest of the year. Assume a low bar of Habs going 0.500 the rest of the way. That gives the Habs 60 points. The canucks then need the equivalent of 21-11-1 record (they will lose the head to head tie breaker so need to pass the Habs on points). It's going to have to be a very magical turnaround for that to happen. Start to bump up the playoff bar to 63 or 64 points and it becomes frightening.

The team has been healthy the whole season. Only Hamonic has missed games and he was terrible.

Just shows how bad of a team Jimbo has constructed

That's the thing. Jimbo can't even hide behind injuries like he always does. They've been very healthy. This is 7 years of his team building on full display. And it's an ugly thing.

Last edited:

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

Though in this season it's much easier to replace the GM because a GM can work remote while in quarantine. A little more of a logistical challenge with the coaching staff (because they ALL need to go). BUt I'm with you. It needs to be a house cleaning. Bulk of the bench staff, Benning and Weisbrod.

Edit: Then I see the Habs removed Julien...so it can be done!

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Just why...a good coach should’ve lesson his playing time not increase it.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I stopped watching after the first because, well, I can’t really be bothered to shorten my sleep for this team anymore. Not at all surprised they managed to blow the 3 goal lead they built or that they couldn’t even manage to scrape out a point.

Bad teams find ways to lose. This is a bad team.
For the second game in a row, I also went to bed after the first period. For the second game in a row, I woke up to a horrific highlight package. What a mess.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
True enough...and I really should have put SHORT TERM financial reasons. Which makes it all the more pathetic.

I was going to say . . .

2ra71f.jpg

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Puljujarvi starting swinging at Roussel first it looked like. Or at least they started swinging at each other at the same time. Then Jesse played the victim card. Maybe he will drop his gloves next time...

nice try but no matter how you twist it ,it was a dirty play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad