Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It was the most appalling display of coaching incompetence in modern NHL history. It's a measuring stick for just how bad coaching can be.

Literally conceded the last linechange to the opposition on home ice in the playoffs to let the other team rip us to shreds with their preferred matchups. Played Derek Dorsett more at ES than Daniel Sedin in tight playoff games. It's still astonishing to think about.

I always laugh at that first statement; hyperbole much? We WON 2 of the 6 games using Willie's terrible system, remember. Dorsett played as much as he did because Ferland was singlehandedly dismantling us; what you think Daniel could deal with him?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Jim has shown a real preference to name players over value players.

Case in point this off season instead of taking a chance on a capable cheap goalie to platoon duties with Demko, he signs Holtby. I think he only sees Holtby's cup win and Vezina and doesn't bother to see his game had fallen off.

He did that before with Ryan Miller. And a number of other players chased in trade and free agency.
Not buying that..Nothing kills a teams morale faster than a sub par goalie...There's no doubt that Benning consulted his goalie expert on the matter, and one of the reasons Holtby came here was because of Clark.
Not buying the fact that Benning didnt know his game had fallen off...If it had not, I'm sure Holtby would have signed for more $ and term elsewhere.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Actually Willie D’s winning % with us is better than Green’s
Maybe Willie was (is) the better coach? Their records indicate he was.

Willie D inherited an asset rich team and prospect pool that Gillis had left behind.

Green walked into the middle of the Weisbrod/Benning shitshow.

Really hard to compare who is worse.

8190306c4793350875a859498b372649.gif

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I always laugh at that first statement; hyperbole much? We WON 2 of the 6 games using Willie's terrible system, remember. Dorsett played as much as he did because Ferland was singlehandedly dismantling us; what you think Daniel could deal with him?

We were a better team than them. You could put me behind the Canuck bench and we wouldn't go 0-82.

Conceding last line change on home ice is the most astonishingly incompetent thing any NHL coach has done in the last 30 years. Period. Full stop. Absolute insanity.

Dorsett played so much because we rolled our lines 1-2-3-4 through that whole series and he got stuck out there for longer shifts than the Sedins because he wasn't very good. If Ferland was somehow having this impact (and he wasn't) you use your last line change to get favourable matchups. We did the opposite.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Willie D inherited an asset rich team that Gillis had left behind.

Green walked into the middle of the Weisbrod/Benning shitshow.

Really hard to compare who is worse.

8190306c4793350875a859498b372649.gif

Maybe we'll find out once Green gets canned. If he gets picked up by another NHL team or wins a medal at the Olympics he might make it tough to choose between the two. I'm doubting either of those things happens...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Maybe we'll find out once Green gets canned. If he gets picked up by another NHL team or wins a medal at the Olympics he might make it tough to choose between the two. I'm doubting either of those things happens...

I think it depends if an NHL team is looking to overtly tank at the time, like LAK, and hires a coach they know will lead to greater losing.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
in the offseason, demko was not a proven starter. as such, the market to trade him was limited to

a. teams that somehow knew that no matter what happened this season they would be willing to expose their starter to expansion in order to keep demko, and also willing to send that message to their starter before the season began by acquiring demko.
b. teams without a starter
c. teams with a starter on an expiring contract

this excludes most teams

for this reason, i do not think demko would receive the same value on the eve of expansion as compared to in a normal market.

i infer this was a factor for the canucks in their decision making.
”decision making” implies a thought process which is a leap of faith with this management.

Reactions: I am toxic

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
...also now .361 without Loui in the lineup (.500 with him in). And can we lose those appalling "gradient" jerseys please?
He’s one point away from being top 100 all time in canucks history in points

Legend

Get em in one more game

Reactions: geebaan

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
You didn't answer my question about what fine Mac got for fighting, after Roussel was given the max.

Why is that?

Do you not like me?

Roussel once again got the book thrown at him basically for being Antoine Roussel. Oh I forgot, the NHL is perfect...

My guess (hope) is that the powers that be saw this as a bit of a sucker punch and treated it like that which is fine. A dumb play but I get why he did it; to energize his team. Didn't work though...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
it comes down to markstrom and tanev.

they decided they were not worth the risk of long term contracts at their age, and also that markstrom was not worth losing demko over. they felt, correctly, that demko would not fetch good value with expansion coming.

if it was just that the team is not as good without them, that would be ok. it was a longterm decision not to be judged too harshly on short term results. it may well be the right decision in two years.

but those moves ripped the heart out of the team. the team took a decisive step back is one thing, but the fact the remaining personnel have not handled that well is fatal. now you have player issues that might extend to key young rfas wanting out.

that last part is what is fatal to benning. ironically, he has been defeated by intangibles.
This season did blow up in the management's faces, and one of Tanev or Toffoli should have been retained..However, long term, I think the right decisions were made..We're already seeing younger players moving into some of those spots.
Not aware of key RFA's wanting out...?, I'm of the understanding that they're a pretty tight knit group.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
We were a better team than them. You could put me behind the Canuck bench and we wouldn't go 0-82.

Conceding last line change on home ice is the most astonishingly incompetent thing any NHL coach has done in the last 30 years. Period. Full stop. Absolute insanity.

Dorsett played so much because we rolled our lines 1-2-3-4 through that whole series and he got stuck out there for longer shifts than the Sedins because he wasn't very good. If Ferland was somehow having this impact (and he wasn't) you use your last line change to get favourable matchups. We did the opposite.
That series was so frustrating because it was such a clear coaching loss. The Sedins dominated the Gaudreau line head to head, and the Gaudreau line dominated the non-Sedins, yet Desjardins made no effort to abuse the favourable matchup. His firing was well deserved.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not buying that..Nothing kills a teams morale faster than a sub par goalie...There's no doubt that Benning consulted his goalie expert on the matter, and one of the reasons Holtby came here was because of Clark.
Not buying the fact that Benning didnt know his game had fallen off...If it had not, I'm sure Holtby would have signed for more $ and term elsewhere.
Lol so Benning knew his game fell of and still made him the first ufa goalie to sign?

You’re on fire today.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This season did blow up in the management's faces, and one of Tanev or Toffoli should have been retained..However, long term, I think the right decisions were made..We're already seeing younger players moving into some of those spots.
Not aware of key RFA's wanting out...?, I'm of the understanding that they're a pretty tight knit group.

You should also add next season cause that’s gonna be a cluster truck as well regardless of who is gm/coach.

long term we made the correct choice but it just asks why the heck we were trading picks and prospects at the deadline for rentals if we had any sort of game plan.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That series was so frustrating because it was such a clear coaching loss. The Sedins dominated the Gaudreau line head to head, and the Gaudreau line dominated the non-Sedins, yet Desjardins made no effort to abuse the favourable matchup. His firing was well deserved.

Willie basically single-handedly lost the team that series. I've never seen anything like it, and there probably never will ever be anything like it. Like I said before, I still can't believe it happened. He coached an NHL playoff series like a dad rolling four lines in a bantam house league game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad