Post-Game Talk: Oilers def. Canucks - 4-3 (Horvat, Myers, Pettersson)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Toffoli wasnt replaced, although we were on of the highest scoring teams in the Western Conference without him...and he wasnt that much of a factor in the playoffs.
Markstrom walked because of Demko and the ED..Goaltending has been inconsistent..but its not 'nothing'
Hoglander replaced Leivo..Schmidt replaced Tanev..Juolevi replaced Fantenburg, and is currently looking pretty solid lately partnered with Myers.

so you’re just discounting what Toffoli was, classic.

our goaltending has been pretty average to bad, so again, replaced with nothing.

Hoglander was been wonderful, but isn’t putting up points to warrant he’s been that successful a replacement yet.

schmidt has been not quite as good as Tanev.

joulevi I’ll give you

so like 1-5, awesome. This team was bound for greatness :rolleyes:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The thing is..If the owner fires the coach and GM at this point, it will be people from within the organization (or alumni) replacing them (just like in Montreal today)..So it could possibly be Newell Brown as coach, and John Weisbrod, or Chris Gear as GM.(until they can clean house at the end of the season)..these folks would be running the TDL, and draft.
I have no problem with gear and wall running the day to day as well as Jarvis running the bench.

Pittsburgh hiring a President and a GM is a counter point to what you’re implying.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Toffoli wasnt replaced, although we were on of the highest scoring teams in the Western Conference without him...and he wasnt that much of a factor in the playoffs.
Markstrom walked because of Demko and the ED..Goaltending has been inconsistent..but its not 'nothing'
Hoglander replaced Leivo..Schmidt replaced Tanev..Juolevi replaced Fantenburg, and is currently looking pretty solid lately partnered with Myers.
Just here to remind Toffoli was a top 4 producer for the team vs Vegas.

Schmidt is Edler’s partner right? That’s Stecher’s replacement.

They haven’t replaced Tanev.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
so you’re just discounting what Toffoli was, classic.

our goaltending has been pretty average to bad, so again, replaced with nothing.

Hoglander was been wonderful, but isn’t putting up points to warrant he’s been that successful a replacement yet.

schmidt has been not quite as good as Tanev.

joulevi I’ll give you

so like 1-5, awesome. This team was bound for greatness :rolleyes:
Not discounting Toffoli..he was a cap casualty..but theoretically, we never had him and Boeser healthy at the same time last season.
We could only retain one goalie..did you forget?
From what I'm reading from Flames fans, Leivo is a replacement player...You would take Leivo over Hogz I'm assuming?
Agreed that we're really missing Tanev, but is Schmidt 'nothing'..?..certainly not.
Nice straw ending....

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Not discounting Toffoli..he was a cap casualty..but theoretically, we never had him and Boeser healthy at the same time last season.
From what I'm reading from Flames fans, Leivo is a replacement player...You would take Leivo over Hogz I'm assuming?
Agreed that we're really missing Tanev, but is Schmidt 'nothing'..?..certainly not.
Nice straw ending....
What kind of disingenuous crap is this?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

it comes down to markstrom and tanev.

they decided they were not worth the risk of long term contracts at their age, and also that markstrom was not worth losing demko over. they felt, correctly, that demko would not fetch good value with expansion coming.

if it was just that the team is not as good without them, that would be ok. it was a longterm decision not to be judged too harshly on short term results. it may well be the right decision in two years.

but those moves ripped the heart out of the team. the team took a decisive step back is one thing, but the fact the remaining personnel have not handled that well is fatal. now you have player issues that might extend to key young rfas wanting out.

that last part is what is fatal to benning. ironically, he has been defeated by intangibles.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
it comes down to markstrom and tanev.

they decided they were not worth the risk of long term contracts at their age, and also that markstrom was not worth losing demko over. they felt, correctly, that demko would not fetch good value with expansion coming.

if it was just that the team is not as good without them, that would be ok. it was a longterm decision not to be judged too harshly on short term results. it may well be the right decision in two years.

but those moves ripped the heart out of the team. the team took a decisive step back is one thing, but the fact the remaining personnel have not handled that well is fatal. now you have player issues that might extend to key young rfas wanting out.

that last part is what is fatal to benning. ironically, he has been defeated by intangibles.
What’s the rationale on the Demko claim? Speculation on your part?

It’s a large reach to suggest that Demko would not fetch value. Not sure how that was correct.

I believe he never had higher value than he did after the bubble?

He was never going to maintain that level of play.

So it’s basically Demko and whatever is on the open market vs Markstrom and a Demko return. Not sure you can call one choice correct here.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How exactly do you "clownpound" someone?

Change is necessary and the time is now. Benning has to know he's on thin ice and his moves will reflect that unless he's given a short leash.

Even if that wasn't the case in his 6+ years as GM with his past performances at trade deadlines why would we want to keep him running things for such a pivotal TDL?

Relieve him and Weisbrod of their duties. There's enough bright minds left to put an interim title on someone and have the group work its way thru the deadline into the off season. Make it an audition for the remaining staff to prove their worth to keep their jobs when the next GM comes on.

Also the dumbest thing I keep seeing on Twitter and other places is Jim Benning is so bad at being GM why don't we promote him to president...uhh what the hell? Is this the federal government where people fail up?

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What’s the rationale on the Demko claim? Speculation on your part?

It’s a large reach to suggest that Demko would not fetch value. Not sure how that was correct.

I believe he never had higher value than he did after the bubble?

He was never going to maintain that level of play.

So it’s basically Demko and whatever is on the open market vs Markstrom and a Demko return. Not sure you can call one choice correct here.

in the offseason, demko was not a proven starter. as such, the market to trade him was limited to

a. teams that somehow knew that no matter what happened this season they would be willing to expose their starter to expansion in order to keep demko, and also willing to send that message to their starter before the season began by acquiring demko.
b. teams without a starter
c. teams with a starter on an expiring contract

this excludes most teams

for this reason, i do not think demko would receive the same value on the eve of expansion as compared to in a normal market.

i infer this was a factor for the canucks in their decision making.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Some of you need a break, that's all I can say. Same people on here day after day saying the same talking points. When some people want to have a level headed discussion they start mashing their keyboards.

Bah, just not worth it.

Many of us are at the point that if we were to take a break it could very well be a permanent one. I don’t really want to go down that road but soon I will be forced to.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Nice straw ending....

tenor.gif

Reactions: geebaan

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Jim has shown a real preference to name players over value players.

Case in point this off season instead of taking a chance on a capable cheap goalie to platoon duties with Demko, he signs Holtby. I think he only sees Holtby's cup win and Vezina and doesn't bother to see his game had fallen off.

He did that before with Ryan Miller. And a number of other players chased in trade and free agency.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Puljujarvi starting swinging at Roussel first it looked like. Or at least they started swinging at each other at the same time. Then Jesse played the victim card. Maybe he will drop his gloves next time...

Quiet, you're ruining the two minute Roussel hate. Wonder what everybody here would have said if it was Mac doing that. My bet is that he would be applauded for it...

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

Why does it have to be Hoglander? I would take Leivo over Roussel, virtanen, Gaudette, etc etc etc. Leivo on the third line makes us a better team.

(I don't get these player replacement picks. If anything Hoglander replaced toffoli not Leivo. )

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Mac didn't do it.

Roussel did.

hth

No you're right he merely instigated a staged fight a couple of games ago which solidified his place in the lineup where he has done absolutely nothing since. Everybody here loves him anyways because "we need toughness"...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
SEVEN years ago. Get over it dude...

It was the most appalling display of coaching incompetence in modern NHL history. It's a measuring stick for just how bad coaching can be.

Literally conceded the last linechange to the opposition on home ice in the playoffs to let the other team rip us to shreds with their preferred matchups. Played Derek Dorsett more at ES than Daniel Sedin in tight playoff games. It's still astonishing to think about.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
...also now .361 without Loui in the lineup (.500 with him in). And can we lose those appalling "gradient" jerseys please?

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
No you're right he merely instigated a staged fight a couple of games ago which solidified his place in the lineup where he has done absolutely nothing since. Everybody here loves him anyways because "we need toughness"...

Staged fight was fine, given where NHL reffing and the rules of the NHL are at.

And there is no collective "everybody" here, so I won't address it further other than to say it just makes your post weaker.

Anyway, I understand that Roussel was given the maximum fine.

What fine did Mac get for the fight?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We need more toughness in our top minute guys. Miller and Bo are big boys. They need to play big, mean, and nasty.
We are a soft and easy team to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->