Confirmed with Link: Oilers claim Colby Cave off waivers

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Guy is 23, and over a ppg in the AHL this year. The closest we have to that is Cooper Marody. Gambardella who is being sent down now has 21 pts in 28 games and is 24. I'd say this is actually a pretty solid pick up for a waiver guy. It's not like Zykov who just wasn't producing at the NHL level, this was his first shot and he actually put up some points.

Huh?

Zykov had all of 5 more NHL games to his name (30 compared to caves 23) when we gave up on him, and had double the points. If anything it's more impressive that zykov put up those points when he wasn't allowed more than a 13 games in 1 season to get any traction.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Kind of reminds me of the Glencross waiver pickup years ago. I'll wait to judge.

Edit: Thought Glencross was grabbed on Waivers but Bone reminded me it was a trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: nturn06

North

Jun 25, 2009
One game played 12 days after being claimed. Went -1 in 9 minutes with 2 shots and 3 hits. Hasn't played since, but that's only one game.

So basically press box with very limited spot duty like here.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Kind of reminds me of the Glencross waiver pickup years ago. I'll wait to judge.

Lots of people seem to think Glencross was a waiver pickup. He was a trade for Tarnstrom and already had 6 goals and 6 assists in 36 games that season with okay size and 25 years old. Would love to find a guy like that right now though. The closest I can find though is Peca, who is quite a bit smaller. Maybe Sundqvist?

Last edited:

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It’s an opportunity to take a shot on someone who might fit your team better than he fit the last team. Literally a free asset to test out in your lineup.

Which i'm fine with, if they test him out.

I don't see the point in these claims though if they aren't going to give them a real shot.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Which i'm fine with, if they test him out.

I don't see the point in these claims though if they aren't going to give them a real shot.

He’s being claimed to play in the bottom six. It’s not like he’s going to be playing big minutes. Hopefully he can do that.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
It's not about zykov specifically, it's about picking up waiver players, giving them 5 games at 10 minutes a game and then waiving them again.

What does it accomplish?

Every now and then you pick a Glencross at no cost... Or an Ahberg, like the Ducks...
But hey why give a player a look when you have amazing depth players on the squad...

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Every now and then you pick a Glencross at no cost... Or an Ahberg, like the Ducks...
But hey why give a player a look when you have amazing depth players on the squad...

I just don't know why we're stockpiling fourth liners.

The fourth line is the leftovers, we need top 9 forwards and giving this kid 8 minutes a game to scratch him again in a month is just a waste of everyones time.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Lots of people seem to think Glencross was a waiver pickup. He was a trade for Tarnstrom and already had 6 goals and 6 assists in 36 games that season with okay size. Would love to find a guy like that right now though.

I guess it was a long time ago now, I thought it was waivers for some reason?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Love this move as i hope its because they won't let Chia do any other type of moves. Here's hoping anyway.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Rieder yes, but I disagree on Gravel. Gravel is delivering pretty much what you'd expect as a fringe NHL defenseman signed for $50K above minimum wage.
Meh even Reider. For the cost and term it was worth the risk.

While the other 30 GMs are playing chess, Chiarelli is playing lawn darts with a blindfold, just praying for a ringer.
Lol, I love this post

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Doesn’t master that no one has ever heard of him. In true HFB’s style, some of the flyboys will pencil him into our future lineup, project all his goal totals and provide contract offers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad