Speculation: Offseason Thread XIX: Alright, Alright, Alright...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
According to the Winnipeg board, one of the contributing factors of wanting out of Winnipeg is to play in the U.S. I'm only taking this from the Winnipeg board so it could be a dubious bit of info but this might also be a Hamonic closer to family type deal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
RGY said:
Giving up anyone in the organization for Trouba except McDonagh...

Highly overrating Trouba here.

Im sorry you don't understand how good Trouba is. But aside form that, RHD is easily the biggest weakness both on the main squad and in the system.

There shouldn't be a single player on this team (again, Sans McD) who gets in the way of them acquiring him. Picks should be in play as well (since well, Trouba isn't even in his prime yet, and I doubt anyone they could land would be as good anyway.)

If Larsson could fetch Hall in a one for one, I don't think Winnipeg is going to be keen on letting Trouba go for a few decent pieces. Probably going to need a slightly inferior defenseman plus something else decent.

If that's the templet we're using, then Kreider for Trouba should do the trick.

Unfortunately, I think the Jets FO are a much, much smarter bunch than the Oilers.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I keep saying it:

Staal (a 2nd pair LD, under contract, from Thunder Bay) + McIlrath (3rd pair RD on a cheap contract this year, under team control for several more, who they apparently think has upside, from WINNIPEG) + Halverson (solid goalie prospect, under contract for three years, from Traverse City, MI).

Three guys who are needs for their organization, under contract, and are local boys or only a short flight away.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
What about Skjei and Miller for Trouba and Dano? We can then move Klein or Nash for some cap space.

That's a tough one. I wouldn't do that just yet. Miller and Skjei have big big seasons coming up and I'd hate to trade them at this juncture. Nash is going to continue to fetch pennies on the dollar until he starts producing and we approach the deadline. Klein will not fetch enough and his cap relief isn't much either. He's our presumed #2 right now. I'm not sure about subtracting Klein and Skjei for Trouba would work. Skjei is also younger and much more affordable when we need it and Klein is affordable too. Seems like a cap hell especially if we have to retain.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Im sorry you don't understand how good Trouba is. But aside form that, RHD is easily the biggest weakness both on the main squad and in the system.

There shouldn't be a single player on this team (again, Sans McD) who gets in the way of them acquiring him. Picks should be in play as well (since well, Trouba isn't even in his prime yet, and I doubt anyone they could land would be as good anyway.)

If that's the templet we're using, then Kreider for Trouba should do the trick.

Unfortunately, I think the Jets FO are a much, much smarter bunch than the Oilers.

I think value wise, Trouba > Larsson, Hall > Kreider so right templet but wrong components.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I keep saying it:

Staal (a 2nd pair LD, under contract, from Thunder Bay) + McIlrath (3rd pair RD on a cheap contract this year, under team control for several more, who they apparently think has upside, from WINNIPEG) + Halverson (solid goalie prospect, under contract for three years, from Traverse City, MI).

Three guys who are needs for their organization, under contract, and are local boys or only a short flight away.

Why would they possibly accept that deal? Staal is overpriced and not that good. McIlrath is fine. They already have a good young goalie in Hellebuyck. Almost any other team that has serious interest will blow that offer out of the water.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I keep saying it:

They don't really need him as they have Hellebuyck, who got a nice chunk of action last season and performed pretty well. He's their goalie of the future.

It's going to take more than most people will want to give up.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
They don't really need him as they have Hellebuyck, who got a nice chunk of action last season and performed pretty well. He's their goalie of the future.

It's going to take more than most people will want to give up.

Along the same line, I just don't see a team in that position willing to trade for pieces. They're not contending no, but if this were an off season move, they would be more open to intriguing and promising parts like doing a Gaborik for Brassard, Moore, what's his face deal or a Kessel type deal. In this precamp spot though, I think they are definitely going to need a comparable defenseman in return so it's pretty much Skjei+ from us or nothing unless we're willing to topple in value in forwards which Gorton isn't going to do.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m positive about a Trouba trade - I hope Gorton is one the phone now. :D
What about Hayes in such a move?

Miller can be used as #center as well, and we have Oscar who is healthy in November.
NY have 1.4$ mil cap space at the moment + 1.4 to move T. Glass. +2.6 mil Hayes = total of 5.4 mil cap. 4.5 $ mil contract for Trouba *6 years with some bonuses. ;)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I keep saying it:

That would be a highway robbery for us.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
That's a tough one. I wouldn't do that just yet. Miller and Skjei have big big seasons coming up and I'd hate to trade them at this juncture. Nash is going to continue to fetch pennies on the dollar until he starts producing and we approach the deadline. Klein will not fetch enough and his cap relief isn't much either. He's our presumed #2 right now. I'm not sure about subtracting Klein and Skjei for Trouba would work. Skjei is also younger and much more affordable when we need it and Klein is affordable too. Seems like a cap hell especially if we have to retain.

Klein is gone after this year anyway (expansion draft). It's almost a given at this point.

The way to look at it would be which defense would you rather have:

McD - Klein
Staal- Skjei
Holden - Girardi
McIlrath

or

McD - Trouba
Staal - McIlrath
Holden - Girardi
Clendenning

I think the second group, particularly at the top, is a lot stronger. Miller is a tough loss, but there ARE some concerns about whether he will be able to replicate his shooting percentage. And even if there weren't, we'd be dealing from a position of incredible strength (winger, where we don't even know where all of the NHL caliber guys will get time) AND we'd be replacing him with a lesser, but still decent player with upside (Dano).

Trouba/Dano for Skjei/Miller is a no-brainer to me as it meets the needs of both teams while dealing from the strengths of both teams. The bigger question is whether or not Winnipeg will get a better offer.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
4 things to bear in mind re: Trouba:

1) NHL GMs value proven performance at the NHL level more than perceived upside, especially in comparison to the average HF poster.

2) A big reason Trouba is unsigned is that he wants big money as an RFA.

3) For all the talent you see when you watch him, he's never cracked 30 pts, and has actually trended meaningfully DOWN points-wise each of the last three seasons.

4) Chevaldeyoff is a notorious PITA to deal with when trying to negotiate a trade.

All that said, I (and obviously many others), think Trouba is a star in the making and we should be doing our best to get him.

Finding a deal that works, however, is a thorny, thorny problem.

(Also, as an added tidbit, I find it hilarious that the #1 search Google suggests on Trouba, after just his name, is "Trouba Rangers".) :)

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think everyone who's poopooing my offer is missing the points about NHL performance and Trouba's big money demands, but given our forward glut, I'd be happy to throw in, say Miller. But then I want a significant pick in exchange as well.

(Doubt Gorton would go so high, however.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00