Speculation: Offseason Thread XIX: Alright, Alright, Alright...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Too bad Nash has a NMC and doesn't want to go to Canada :(

What about JT Miller, Dylan McIlrath and Jesper Fast for Trouba extended?

Nash only has a partial ntc.. While Win was not on his list of teams he might go if asked just like Gabs did.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Nash only has a partial ntc.. While Win was not on his list of teams he might go if asked just like Gabs did.

But the last thing the Jets need is more wingers. It makes no sense for them.

The Rangers need help on the right side. Right now, we have a 2nd pairing defenseman set to play top pair (Klein) with a LHD playing his off side (Skjei), a broken down vet who doesn't fit the system (Girardi), and a player the coach doesn't trust to lace his own skates (McIlrath) behind him. That's not going to work.

We can afford to deal Skjei. We already have McD, Staal, Holden, Graves on the left.

We can afford to deal Miller. We already have Gerbe, Hrivik, Kreider, Nash, Zucc, Vesey, Fast, Buch, and Grabner on the wings (and guys like Jensen, Lindberg, and Jooris can pitch in).

If we can get a solid young prospect like Dano to go along with Trouba, it solves a lot of problems without opening up ANY new holes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
But the last thing the Jets need is more wingers. It makes no sense for them.

The Rangers need help on the right side. Right now, we have a 2nd pairing defenseman set to play top pair (Klein) with a LHD playing his off side (Skjei), a broken down vet who doesn't fit the system (Girardi), and a player the coach doesn't trust to lace his own skates (McIlrath) behind him. That's not going to work.

We can afford to deal Skjei. We already have McD, Staal, Holden, Graves on the left.

We can afford to deal Miller. We already have Gerbe, Hrivik, Kreider, Nash, Zucc, Vesey, Fast, Buch, and Grabner on the wings (and guys like Jensen, Lindberg, and Jooris can pitch in).

If we can get a solid young prospect like Dano to go along with Trouba, it solves a lot of problems without opening up ANY new holes.

Nash and JT are both wingers at this point.

Brady, Fast, and Oscar for Trouba is fine but JT plus Brady could end up as yet another overpayment by us for a guy that has asked for a trade.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think a team like Philly could easily step up and deal one of their young gun dmen for him if they can make it work cap wise. Acquiring Trouba starts with Skjei and then something else.

How close were Nieves and Trouba during their one year together at UMich? :naughty:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The only reason I'd be ok moving Skjei for Trouba, besides the obvious acquisition of a top-RHD, is Graves being close to NHL ready and Holden being present as a suitable stop gap. Maybe Gilmour surprises us and makes a push soon too. One of Day or Reunanen better pan out if Brady gets moved though.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think a team like Philly could easily step up and deal one of their young gun dmen for him if they can make it work cap wise. Acquiring Trouba starts with Skjei and then something else.

How close were Nieves and Trouba during their one year together at UMich? :naughty:

My money is on Philly as well. They're trying to compete now and they have a really nice group of young, up-and-coming D with Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Morin. Nothing to speak of on the right though. They also have the picks required, and the history, to make an offer sheet a somewhat realistic threat. Only thing they lack is cap space.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
My money is on Philly as well. They're trying to compete now and they have a really nice group of young, up-and-coming D with Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim, and Morin. Nothing to speak of on the right though. They also have the picks required, and the history, to make an offer sheet a somewhat realistic threat. Only thing they lack is cap space.

He only one of that group that has sniffed the NHL is Ghost. All the others are ??? The NYR can offer a package of a young, proven top 6/9 wing (maybe C) and a NHL ready (proved it in the playoffs last year) top 4/6 LHD which fills a need for the Jets.

I think NYR can offer a better package than PHL

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
theres only

2 situations where a trade works for trouba... either skjei plus small add for trouba or McD for trouba plus ( Draft pick probably).. Losing McD would suck, however, McD next contract will likely be for 7 mill plus at 28-29 years old whereas trouba should be around 6 6.5 mill at age 23-24. it all depends how gorts and co. feel about this retool/rebuild on the fly. do they think trouba will be as good Mac in 2-3 years??? I don't know, if they do maybe they pull the trigger.. One thing is for sure, klein will be traded this year. he will be unprotected in Exp draft, he is still productive, signed to a solid deal, plays RD. it would be terrible asset management to not move him by the end of the year or deadline time.. Under option 1. Next year NYR D could look like this

McD -Trouba
Staal -Shatty???
Graves/holden- McIlrath

Option 2.

Staal-Trouba
Skjei-shattenkirk??
Graves/holden- Mcilrath

In both options girardi has to be gone one way or the other. i believe with one year less on his term after a bounce back year proving he can still be a solid # 4 d-man a team will trade for him that has cap space but not cash. I'm sure NYR will open up the checkbook to move him... think of a similar situation where Brassard's money was paid and NYR essentially bought a 2nd rounder for straight cash.. I'd imagine a scenario like that. Klein will be moved for straight picks or a prospect. they will want that 2.9 cap to spend internally or on a UFA. with glass up at the end of the year thats 4.4 million right there. should cover a raise to Zibby and leave a little left over. I fully expect Nash off the books as well. that money will be for trouba with a little also left over.... with girardi off the books, his money will go to shatty in the scenario above. the cap should also go up a little as well. honestly i do not mind option 2 at all. if skjei can prove he is a legit top 4 d this year that's a pretty solid to 4. the following offseason staal is moved out and graves takes his spot with Day hopefully in the wings. I don't know, i think i might do it. what about you guys??? this year if McD gone in trade, it would be kind of ugly but it's only a year

staal- trouba
skjei-klein
Holden-girardi
McIlrath (rotating with G every 5-7 games)

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He only one of that group that has sniffed the NHL is Ghost. All the others are ??? The NYR can offer a package of a young, proven top 6/9 wing (maybe C) and a NHL ready (proved it in the playoffs last year) top 4/6 LHD which fills a need for the Jets.

I think NYR can offer a better package than PHL

So they take Skjei because he has 20 games under his belt, instead of the guys who project to be better NHLers? Yeah, I don't buy that.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
So they take Skjei because he has 20 games under his belt, instead of the guys who project to be better NHLers? Yeah, I don't buy that.

Grachev was a sure fire 30 goal scoring winger.

NHL GMs deal in what they know, not what they project. They know Miller is an NHL player and they know Skjei looked like an NHL player in the playoffs last year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
NO

MCD+? Nah fam

No Winnipeg adds the plus. McD is the better defenseman right now, signed to sweet deal, plays LD which they need. I would say they add at least a 2nd rounder.

can trouba be as good as Mac in 2-3 years when this team is ready to make some noise? younger, plays RD which we need, less miles on his body. there are a lot of positives and negatives to making the deal just wana know how the majority feels about it.....

I mean we all just saw subban for weber this year. It's not as crazy as many think

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
No Winnipeg adds the plus. McD is the better defenseman right now, signed to sweet deal, plays LD which they need. I would say they add at least a 2nd rounder.

can trouba be as good as Mac in 2-3 years when this team is ready to make some noise? younger, plays RD which we need, less miles on his body. there are a lot of positives and negatives to making the deal just wana know how the majority feels about it.....

I mean we all just saw subban for weber this year. It's not as crazy as many think

Ohhh that makes more sense, yeah. Id consider it as McD I'll be making 8.5M plus in 3 years.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Ohhh that makes more sense, yeah. Id consider it as McD I'll be making 8.5M plus in 3 years.

Doesn't trouba want $7 right now? And mcdonagh is actually a number 1 dman.
Trouba has been underwhelming every time I saw him. And I'm not a fan of over paying for "potential" even tho the guy is already in the league.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wonder if Gorton is ok investing money long term into Trouba. He doesn't want to do it for Shattenkirk, but Trouba is six years younger and plays a heavy, two way game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Doesn't trouba want $7 right now? And mcdonagh is actually a number 1 dman.
Trouba has been underwhelming every time I saw him. And I'm not a fan of over paying for "potential" even tho the guy is already in the league.

What have you watched him twice?

I can understand not wanting to pony up the assets for him, but statements like this are incredibly ignorant.

Even if he doesn't improve from what he is now, hes a clear cut top 4 dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad