Speculation: Offseason Thread XIX: Alright, Alright, Alright...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can't wait to see how Traverse City goes. And by "see" I mean read tweets about how the prospects are doing, since there isn't going to be any streaming of the games.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I feel like those scoring projections may be a bit low, but then again I honestly don't know what to expect from this team this season. There was so much turnover and it's such a different dynamic now with the types of players we've added and the rookies we're bringing in.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I feel like those scoring projections may be a bit low, but then again I honestly don't know what to expect from this team this season. There was so much turnover and it's such a different dynamic now with the types of players we've added and the rookies we're bringing in.

I can see it. I think we're going to have a harder time making zone exits without any specific PMD and the loss of both Boyle and Yandle. For the good we have up front, we trade off on the back end.

A lot of it is going to come down to this team's work ethic. Nash is very good, but I think he may be a step down from his prior years. I think we're sort of heading back to the days of the mass-2-way blue collar blue shirts, just with more offense this time around.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Can't wait to see how Traverse City goes. And by "see" I mean read tweets about how the prospects are doing, since there isn't going to be any streaming of the games.

Wondering why msg has decided against covering the tournament? Ratings must've been dismal. You would think NHL would show the games for fans who like it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Players report to camp on the 22nd for physicals. First day on ice is the 23rd. Season starts in 30 days from today. The Rangers begin one night later on the 13th. Trading deadline is February 28. 40 days left in the regular season.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Players report to camp on the 22nd for physicals. First day on ice is the 23rd. Season starts in 30 days from today. The Rangers begin one night later on the 13th. Trading deadline is February 28. 40 days left in the regular season.

Have been looking all-over for the training camp schedule and had been unable to find it. Dunno where you found it, but thanks!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is it too much to ask you to get the facts straight?
It is NOT an NTC which is bad depending upon how extensive it is

it is an NMC which is far worse

Your comments are arguably hypocritical, since you bemoan Girardi and Staal's NMCs and imply if not actually have said you'd do anything to avoid that in the future, when all it would take is to move the asset -- and I'm not even saying for a loss, either.

laugh at my expense
Stepan's time here will not go into next season
and logically Gorton will get more for him now than later, plus reduce threat to being stuck with him due to injury.

I didn't want to be insensitive, but you want to provoke, ya wanna start --- watch me finish....

Stepan has a NTC which was confirmed by a credible source:

Even if it was a NMC... It is not bad, since he will be 31 when his contract expires. Girardi was 30 when his started. Different situations.

Stepan produces like a no. 1 center. Maybe not elite when it comes to production, but certainly elite as a 2-way center.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Thanks!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Stepan has a NTC which was confirmed by a credible source:

Even if it was a NMC... It is not bad, since he will be 31 when his contract expires. Girardi was 30 when his started. Different situations.

Stepan produces like a no. 1 center. Maybe not elite when it comes to production, but certainly elite as a 2-way center.

Yes that is credible.
But although the NYP has founder Alexander Hamilton turning in his grave repeatedly, on this occasion it is no less credible. A similar source clearly says NMC. (see Fanager).

NMC is worse. Let's be honest

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
iirc a NMC and limited NTC can be combined...NMC means they can't send him down to the AHL, but the NTC means he can still be traded as long as it's to certain teams

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes that is credible.
But although the NYP has founder Alexander Hamilton turning in his grave repeatedly, on this occasion it is no less credible. A similar source clearly says NMC. (see Fanager).

NMC is worse. Let's be honest

I guess we will never know, same with Girardi's contract. Different sources stating different details. I will trust Pat Leonard over Larry Brooks.

And a NMC is not a problem for a player who is 31 when his contract expires. The only difference between a NMC and a NTC is the possibility to send someone to Hartford (which only gives you 950k cap relief which no team will do for a $6.5m cap hit

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
iirc a NMC and limited NTC can be combined...NMC means they can't send him down to the AHL, but the NTC means he can still be traded as long as it's to certain teams

I guess we will never know, same with Girardi's contract. Different sources stating different details. I will trust Pat Leonard over Larry Brooks.

And a NMC is not a problem for a player who is 31 when his contract expires. The only difference between a NMC and a NTC is the possibility to send someone to Hartford (which only gives you 950k cap relief which no team will do for a $6.5m cap hit

I may be wrong, but if NMC is to be taken literally, if no special clauses exist, that means the player cannot be moved anywhere, there are no options to any clubs, unless the player consents, and there is no approved list, the NMC is the superior, ultimate veto.

The only option w/NMC is player can be told to sit on the bench, or stay home, I think. He can't be "sent" anywere at any time for duration of his contract w/o player consent

Also, if the NMC is existing it is a required imposition on a possible trade partner.
so no, it IS a big whoop.

And as to stop coaching Pat and LB, I'm not taking sides, just taking the side of caution.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
try this:

1. McDonagh 4.7 x3 + Ranger 3rd in 2017, and NYR 4th in 2018
for
Trouba, [RFA = 0, but will result in savings for Wini since it is not paying Trouba 6 or more] + Jets 2nd in 2017, and Jets 3rd in 2018
cap is close enough

this deal was approved by Maukkis who underscored he would not recommend it to NY in a vacuum, and that moving Trouba, a 9OA, was not cut and dried either; however, his final conclusion remains, objectively, for Jets getting McD on that sweet contract, and the balance it provides adding needed LD to ample RD, it was worth it, even if it meant also losing on two separate picks exchanges; NY takes on more cap.

McD is ideal for Wini, which is RD heavy.
Rangers eliminate that McD can invoke protection clause soon, and this trade defeats that; acquire Trouba, who will cost more $ now but will be more cost effective later, but they get younger and also add in an area of need, unless he is flipped for....

2. W/Sabres
RFA Trouba, 0.0, but will remain to be signed
for
C Sam Reinhart on ELC, .894,166 x2 (cap hit)

Straight up, no complications, no drama.

Why Buf. Eichel is their true 1C, and have enough depth past the position to surrender Sam. Trouba is close value for Risto, selected a year apart a slot apart. Thought it heard somewhere Trouba is a fan of Eichel; he still wants to get paid, but I think he makes nice.
That leaves Sabes with interesting option: if Risto just has pain in the butt agent dragging this out and all is resolved, they can have extremely strong D overall, RD in particular to go with solid C. Or, regardless, can ship Risto’s rights to say EDM for Draisatil and Nurse.

Why Rangers: true 1C potential, solid add, like another Buchnevich but in the pivot. Key is ELC so expansion draft exempted, saving a protection slot.

3. W/Canes
Stepan* (6.5,reduced to 4.0, x 5) + Miller (2.75 x 2)+ Zucarello (4.5 x3) +Ott 2018 2nd = 11.25 cap [being exchanged]
for
Hanifin (.925 x 2) Pesce (.809,166 x 2) + Murphy (.787,500 x 2) + Skinner (5.725 x 3) + cap dump Bickel 4.0 expiring + return of Ranger 2017 2nd + Canes 1st in 2017 or 2018, CAR choice. {11.25 cap [being exchanged]} = 12.046,666

= cap dif under 1m = negligible

* has NMC clause but does not become effective til next season, so defeated with this trade.
Rangers gain just under 1m cap relief, moving 6.5, taking on a bit over 5.5

Why: CAR has excess of D, Miller, Stepan, Zuc are all solid adds. This does induce pain of loss of golden boy Hanifin, and has 2 exempt ELCs buh bye, but did not take on any NMCs and the rest of this deal is too good for Canes to pass up. Miller, 15OA, could go hire if redrafted, not on par with Hanafin but is a solid down payment vs. his potential. Small gap gain immediately, and Stepan discounted! Like 2.5 x 4 is 10mil savings both paid and cap hit. Miller and Zuc are bargains, Zuc >> than Skinner, not even having to cough up 4.0 for Bickell. Pesce has value but for all of the above, the ask is not too great, and even so much so Murphy can be a throw in. Does deplete Canes D reserves x 3, but they have plenty, starting w/Faulk on down.

For NY, Hanafin and Pesce are ELCs exempt from expansion draft and while that is very costly, it is huge add that works for Rangers.
Consider:
Hanafin Pesce
Skjei McIlrath
Graves Murphy
Holden Klein
Staal - Girardi

which assumes
Klein will be moved for a profit, possibly w/Lindberg/Fast, possibly not
Staal Girardi, we are likely stuck w/at least one, likely Girardi, but not unreasonable if Staal now sees the writing on the wall, he agrees to a move IF we send him where HE wants to go, and that is fine with us, as long as we can move his NMC.
So going into expansion, if Staal moved, we would have Girardi and 2 of Murphy/McIlrath and Holden to protect. Still want to move G, obviously, but a huge improvement.
We would still be able to eat up to half on the wonder twins.

So, robbing Peter to pay Paul?
Not really.

Can still do a top, dominating line of Kreider - Reinhart - Zib, with Zib as standby for C depth.
Then, yeah, loss of Miller hurts, but Hanifin makes up for it.

Grabner (speed to complement Hayes a la Hagelin) - Hayes - Vesey
if not moved Lindberg fine at 3C
Nash - Lindberg - Buchnevich
Piri - Jooris - Jensen
Skinner assumes Nash’s spot once he is moved.
Very important, Gropp and possibly Boo Nieves are rising quickly, replace Nash, Skinner. So it DOES work out!

How do ya like me now?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I may be wrong, but if NMC is to be taken literally, if no special clauses exist, that means the player cannot be moved anywhere, there are no options to any clubs, unless the player consents, and there is no approved list, the NMC is the superior, ultimate veto.

The only option w/NMC is player can be told to sit on the bench, or stay home, I think. He can't be "sent" anywere at any time for duration of his contract w/o player consent

Also, if the NMC is existing it is a required imposition on a possible trade partner.
so no, it IS a big whoop.

And as to stop coaching Pat and LB, I'm not taking sides, just taking the side of caution.

No, you are picking the source which best suits your narrative.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
try this:

1. McDonagh 4.7 x3 + Ranger 3rd in 2017, and NYR 4th in 2018
for
Trouba, [RFA = 0, but will result in savings for Wini since it is not paying Trouba 6 or more] + Jets 2nd in 2017, and Jets 3rd in 2018
cap is close enough

this deal was approved by Maukkis who underscored he would not recommend it to NY in a vacuum, and that moving Trouba, a 9OA, was not cut and dried either; however, his final conclusion remains, objectively, for Jets getting McD on that sweet contract, and the balance it provides adding needed LD to ample RD, it was worth it, even if it meant also losing on two separate picks exchanges; NY takes on more cap.

McD is ideal for Wini, which is RD heavy.
Rangers eliminate that McD can invoke protection clause soon, and this trade defeats that; acquire Trouba, who will cost more $ now but will be more cost effective later, but they get younger and also add in an area of need, unless he is flipped for....

2. W/Sabres
RFA Trouba, 0.0, but will remain to be signed
for
C Sam Reinhart on ELC, .894,166 x2 (cap hit)

Straight up, no complications, no drama.

Why Buf. Eichel is their true 1C, and have enough depth past the position to surrender Sam. Trouba is close value for Risto, selected a year apart a slot apart. Thought it heard somewhere Trouba is a fan of Eichel; he still wants to get paid, but I think he makes nice.
That leaves Sabes with interesting option: if Risto just has pain in the butt agent dragging this out and all is resolved, they can have extremely strong D overall, RD in particular to go with solid C. Or, regardless, can ship Risto’s rights to say EDM for Draisatil and Nurse.

Why Rangers: true 1C potential, solid add, like another Buchnevich but in the pivot. Key is ELC so expansion draft exempted, saving a protection slot.

3. W/Canes
Stepan* (6.5,reduced to 4.0, x 5) + Miller (2.75 x 2)+ Zucarello (4.5 x3) +Ott 2018 2nd = 11.25 cap [being exchanged]
for
Hanifin (.925 x 2) Pesce (.809,166 x 2) + Murphy (.787,500 x 2) + Skinner (5.725 x 3) + cap dump Bickel 4.0 expiring + return of Ranger 2017 2nd + Canes 1st in 2017 or 2018, CAR choice. {11.25 cap [being exchanged]} = 12.046,666

= cap dif under 1m = negligible

* has NMC clause but does not become effective til next season, so defeated with this trade.
Rangers gain just under 1m cap relief, moving 6.5, taking on a bit over 5.5

Why: CAR has excess of D, Miller, Stepan, Zuc are all solid adds. This does induce pain of loss of golden boy Hanifin, and has 2 exempt ELCs buh bye, but did not take on any NMCs and the rest of this deal is too good for Canes to pass up. Miller, 15OA, could go hire if redrafted, not on par with Hanafin but is a solid down payment vs. his potential. Small gap gain immediately, and Stepan discounted! Like 2.5 x 4 is 10mil savings both paid and cap hit. Miller and Zuc are bargains, Zuc >> than Skinner, not even having to cough up 4.0 for Bickell. Pesce has value but for all of the above, the ask is not too great, and even so much so Murphy can be a throw in. Does deplete Canes D reserves x 3, but they have plenty, starting w/Faulk on down.

For NY, Hanafin and Pesce are ELCs exempt from expansion draft and while that is very costly, it is huge add that works for Rangers.
Consider:
Hanafin Pesce
Skjei McIlrath
Graves Murphy
Holden Klein
Staal - Girardi

which assumes
Klein will be moved for a profit, possibly w/Lindberg/Fast, possibly not
Staal Girardi, we are likely stuck w/at least one, likely Girardi, but not unreasonable if Staal now sees the writing on the wall, he agrees to a move IF we send him where HE wants to go, and that is fine with us, as long as we can move his NMC.
So going into expansion, if Staal moved, we would have Girardi and 2 of Murphy/McIlrath and Holden to protect. Still want to move G, obviously, but a huge improvement.
We would still be able to eat up to half on the wonder twins.

So, robbing Peter to pay Paul?
Not really.

Can still do a top, dominating line of Kreider - Reinhart - Zib, with Zib as standby for C depth.
Then, yeah, loss of Miller hurts, but Hanifin makes up for it.

Grabner (speed to complement Hayes a la Hagelin) - Hayes - Vesey
if not moved Lindberg fine at 3C
Nash - Lindberg - Buchnevich
Piri - Jooris - Jensen
Skinner assumes Nash’s spot once he is moved.
Very important, Gropp and possibly Boo Nieves are rising quickly, replace Nash, Skinner. So it DOES work out!

How do ya like me now?

Yet another Bern team that loses a ton of games.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern you are crazy, Buffalo is not trading Reinhart for Trouba.

I agree that's not a given, but consider:

Reinhart is behind Eichel; any other scenario, he would not be going, but its very premium to have him as a 2C;
also they have O'Reilly etc so they can actually afford to move Reinhart.

Now, what would be acceptable?
supposedly Trouba thinks highly of or is budds w/Eich-meister, supposedly not thrilled Jack did not make some team or something. Point is, he's not gonna cut his paycheck in half to go there, but I think he plays nice while he's playing hardball.

Risto, on the other hand, his agent is holding out for top, top top dollar (we think, I don't know personally, it's speculation -- but not unreasonable).

So Buf takes Trouba. instead of 7 or more, maybe Trouba does 6.5 for 6 or 6 for 7. Now Risto has even more reason to look at less than 7. And that assumes they keep both.

Creates an excuse to move Bogo, who is nice, but top dollar.

Sabes may say, I can live with Trouba at 6-ish or a bit over, let's move Ristolainen. What do you think EDM does?

Can you say Draisatil +?
and that + could be another D they want, somebody like Nurse, maybe Oilers add an asset to balance. Still.

So yeah, unless you think they will not try to improve -- and supposedly their owner has the $$$ --- and as a result, Eichel may go as soon as possible and keeping Reinhart is a hedge vs that --- unless you go THERE, I see they look at what best improves team --- a premium for Risto, do-able cause they got Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad