Speculation: Offseason Thread XIX: Alright, Alright, Alright...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You know we've always disagreed on the math of the cap a few years running, but have to admit that I heard the exact things you posted.

I said it after Cerny was fired, the Rangers really want to change the dynamic of the locker room. Cerny was a 10 year vet when it came to the locker room.

Was there day to day.

It could be that the management team was sick and tired of the entitled play and poor work ethic.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Miller or Kreider is traded for a defenseman.

Those two arent the first ones to come to mind when I think of "entitled"

Trading either of Kreider or Miller would be a huge mistake. Just dont do it.

You dont trade a player of Kreider's caliber. His physical attributes combined with his talent wont be replaced.

Miller is about to hit his stride as a pro.

I'd offer Sjkei with an add. The question would be how big the add is (which would be dependent on what their needs might be).

The Hall/Larsson trade is also a tough comp. From what their fans are saying, Winnipeg wants a young LHD. D are generally more valuable than forwards (especially wingers). So I don't think the talent/reputation gap between Trouba and what they get for him will be quite as large as the gap between Larsson and Hall.

I`m positive about a Trouba trade - I hope Gorton is one the phone now. :D
What about Hayes in such a move?

Miller can be used as #center as well, and we have Oscar who is healthy in November.
NY have 1.4$ mil cap space at the moment + 1.4 to move T. Glass. +2.6 mil Hayes = total of 5.4 mil cap. 4.5 $ mil contract for Trouba *6 years with some bonuses. ;)

Trouba needs to be protected in expansion and the Rangers already have three D to protect. Big problem. Staal or Girardi could waive to be left unprotected but those decisions are for next June. It's also another big contract on D. Trouba wants big bucks too.

The Rangers don't have that match but I would offer Mats Zuccarello for Trouba if the Rangers didn't have the above issues.

Paul Maurice is part of the team Europe coaching staff. He coached him in the KHL too. Zuccarello can't block a trade to Winnipeg.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...ay-home-through-russia-with-rangers-1.8109093

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ra...arello-unique-enthusiasm-blog-entry-1.2168589

Mutual admiration society.

I think a team like Philly could easily step up and deal one of their young gun dmen for him if they can make it work cap wise. Acquiring Trouba starts with Skjei and then something else.

How close were Nieves and Trouba during their one year together at UMich? :naughty:

MCD+? Nah fam

No Winnipeg adds the plus. McD is the better defenseman right now, signed to sweet deal, plays LD which they need. I would say they add at least a 2nd rounder.

can trouba be as good as Mac in 2-3 years when this team is ready to make some noise? younger, plays RD which we need, less miles on his body. there are a lot of positives and negatives to making the deal just wana know how the majority feels about it.....

I mean we all just saw subban for weber this year. It's not as crazy as many think

I am MIA for like 2 days and many of you are worse on Trouba than a cat on nip.

=========

Despite the age dif, and higher wear and tear on McD, Jets will give us Trouba AND a win on 2 pick exchanges, like a 3rd and 4th from us for a 2nd and 3rd from them, IMO. They do this to lose a disgruntled asset, to get a cost controlled guy for 3 years they might extend, and to add class and quality to balance themselves on LD.

Whether or not we should flip Trouba for an equally valued asset on an ELC is totally another question.

McD + for Trouba +

specifcally no on Skjei or Graves, who are ELCs and exp exempt

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
McD??? Oh I get it.. Its Saturday.. People have been drinking

Agreed on this point. Trading McD for Trouba just spins us sideways.

If anything, it probably puts us back.

McD-Klein is basically a #1 paired with a #4.

Staal-Trouba is a #4 paired with a #2/3

Our top pair gets decidedly worse in order to what? Save money three years from now? And oh yeah, if the rumors about Trouba's ask are true (and to be fair, those numbers have not been confirmed AFAIK), Trouba would be making more than McDonagh starting this year.

There may be a time to move McDonagh out of concern for his next contract and age. Now ain't that time. We've got another couple of seasons before that's a thing to discuss.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can only deal McDonagh for Trouba if you get Enstrom back. I did a post on this a while ago and it is still relevant.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
What have you watched him twice?

I can understand not wanting to pony up the assets for him, but statements like this are incredibly ignorant.

Even if he doesn't improve from what he is now, hes a clear cut top 4 dman.

I've seen him at least 20 times over his career between rangers panthers and international play..

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You can only deal McDonagh for Trouba if you get Enstrom back. I did a post on this a while ago and it is still relevant.

Then they better be taking Girardi, because that doesn't fit the cap otherwise.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yes. You are so right.
Rangers are not done.
Far from it.

Some of The players know it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rick-nash-believes-he-s-in-a-battle-to-stay-with-the-rangers-1.12356957

AV knows it

http://blueshirtbulletin.com/news/three-takeaways-initial-camp-comments-by-vigneault/

GM Gorton knows it

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-sign-vesey-its-a-very-exciting-day-for-us/c-892089

This team will be getting a makeover that will change the dynamics. RB is totally correct here. Not done with "the retool" yet. Boston - trading Thornton - comes to mind. Looked real bad at first but was a precursor to winning the Cup. More work to do (ie the defense). Expect more changes between now and TDL. Like I said before, expect two more trades and another signing (1-2 waiver reclamation pickups?) now. I think they have them in place, and might have had so for some time, but are awaiting to see how all the players look in camp and if something unexpected falls into to their lap as we will have cap space this season as it looks now. I have not heard anything specific about who is going where though. Mum is still the word. Respect to Gorton. I did hear earlier that one of our younger 4 RFAs - that we all later resigned - is part of a deal. And that they were shopping Staal and Nash but the offered returns were too low to bite on (this has been reported everywhere). Detroit had interest but went elsewhere. Girardi is untradable. For now at least. I think after WC ends and camps are into full swing things will begin to clear (will Buch and Vesey make the team? How do our younger defensemen look?). If there is possibility for youth infusion - Boom Boom Bang Bang. Nash, Staal, Zucc, Miller and McIllraith being the likely suspects. I think they keep Klein until the TDL maximizing the eventual return. If kids are not ready, the process might be stretched out a bit. But the writing is definitely on the wall. More changes are coming setting the team up for the future. This squad had their "last kick at the can" last year. Management was very vocal about this.

Coming back to BBKers post from before the news about Trouba's trade request, it occurs to me...

"Another signing..."

Could Gorton be about to make silverfish a very happy poster...?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
All in on Trouba.

McDonagh-Trouba for 25-30 a night and Hank is a couple of playoff rounds every year.

Is this what you'd prefer or something you and your friends from Winnipeg have discussed?

Trouba would be our first pairing RD for the next 7-8 years.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes, savant, before day's end I will try to catch up with you on detailed reply to that earlier post, as promised.

As this thread draws to a close, I again appeal to our members not to fall into the fast trap of win now, instant gratification.

Sure would be nice to have our cake and eat it too, to pair McD AND Trouba, and I often go with why those who say why coke for pepsi, get the other to pair together. However, we are in need of solutions for end of year as well as upcoming cap years.

Trading Skjei or Graves and most ELC assets would be disastrous. I am pleased some almost intuitively arrived here even if not explicitly underscoring this point; and I applaud RangerBoy for hitting the nail on the head yet again.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I suspect Kevin Hayes is a name that would come up in negotiations. Jets don't need wingers, and like size from the forward position.

Enstrom hasn't been himself in 4 years. I'd stay far away from that one.

Winnipeg has a good team brewing, I think they'd want something more than picks/prospects as are being proposed on the trade board.

Hayes, McIlrath, Staal (retained $) for Trouba, Burmistrov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille