Speculation: Offseason Thread XIX: Alright, Alright, Alright...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
For AV to bring up possible moves,you know that the topic has been discussed in the front office. He didn't go to Traverse City. Scott Arniel went to TC. Arniel was an assistant coach in Buffalo when Drury played there. AV saw the games on video.

Yes. You are so right.
Rangers are not done.
Far from it.

Some of The players know it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rick-nash-believes-he-s-in-a-battle-to-stay-with-the-rangers-1.12356957
As the Rangers re-tool, trade rumors have swirled around Nash — with the most prominent being a swap with St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk.
“For me, as I get to the tail end of my career, especially after the year I had last year, I have to show I belong on this team,” Nash said. “I can’t speak for other guys, but I truly feel that way. You look at the numbers and you have so many forwards, you know there’s going to be big moves that are going to be made. For me, I want to be a Ranger, I want to be in New York, so that’s all I’m worried about.”

AV knows it

http://blueshirtbulletin.com/news/three-takeaways-initial-camp-comments-by-vigneault/

AV said the Rangers could make some moves to "maybe change the dynamics by moving some of those pieces".

GM Gorton knows it

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-sign-vesey-its-a-very-exciting-day-for-us/c-892089

Gorton (said this on August 20 when Vesey signed), "This was an opportunity, a real good player became available...and we're trying to replace some of that depth we've had in the past. We're trying to get as many young players as we can. The game is getting faster and younger and more skilled all the time. So we're really excited to get a player like this. It's a very exciting day for us."
"We're very happy today," summed up Gorton. "There's still a lot of work to do, but we think we have some good youth and this (move) helps that."

This team will be getting a makeover that will change the dynamics. RB is totally correct here. Not done with "the retool" yet. Boston - trading Thornton - comes to mind. Looked real bad at first but was a precursor to winning the Cup. More work to do (ie the defense). Expect more changes between now and TDL. Like I said before, expect two more trades and another signing (1-2 waiver reclamation pickups?) now. I think they have them in place, and might have had so for some time, but are awaiting to see how all the players look in camp and if something unexpected falls into to their lap as we will have cap space this season as it looks now. I have not heard anything specific about who is going where though. Mum is still the word. Respect to Gorton. I did hear earlier that one of our younger 4 RFAs - that we all later resigned - is part of a deal. And that they were shopping Staal and Nash but the offered returns were too low to bite on (this has been reported everywhere). Detroit had interest but went elsewhere. Girardi is untradable. For now at least. I think after WC ends and camps are into full swing things will begin to clear (will Buch and Vesey make the team? How do our younger defensemen look?). If there is possibility for youth infusion - Boom Boom Bang Bang. Nash, Staal, Zucc, Miller and McIllraith being the likely suspects. I think they keep Klein until the TDL maximizing the eventual return. If kids are not ready, the process might be stretched out a bit. But the writing is definitely on the wall. More changes are coming setting the team up for the future. This squad had their "last kick at the can" last year. Management was very vocal about this.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not exactly sure how to put it, in a good deal -- whatever that means (who shouldn't you deal in a "good" deal?") -- I think we shouldn't rule out moving Chris Kreider or JT Miller.

I just think we need more pure skill. Ability to hold on to the puck and make plays with it. Other abilities in the game matter too, speed, grit, having that clutch side, and JT Miller and Chris Kreider can all grow and help in these areas. But we have to give to get.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not exactly sure how to put it, in a good deal -- whatever that means (who shouldn't you deal in a "good" deal?") -- I think we shouldn't rule out moving Chris Kreider or JT Miller.

I just think we need more pure skill. Ability to hold on to the puck and make plays with it. Other abilities in the game matter too, speed, grit, having that clutch side, and JT Miller and Chris Kreider can all grow and help in these areas. But we have to give to get.

I don't disagree in theory, but I think the idea of trading those guys can be put on the back burner, at least until much later in the season. How often do teams trade players within a few months of signing them to new contracts? Especially RFA age players who you are paying significantly less for than their value on the open market.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think the last kick at the can, or u don`t get too many kicks at the can was more related to the player of Pirri yesterday interview with AV. That was how I understand AV - Pirri had changed teams quite often the recent years.
But if the wonder twins don`t bounce back - they will certainly crush AV`s dream to get a cup.

I don`t think J.T Miller is untouchable at all - he has some weakness for sure even he is relative young. Stepan is too slow and should be considered as well - age can`t change that - he won`t get quicker with age, and he didn`t had great chemistry with skilled players.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think the last kick at the can, or u don`t get too many kicks at the can was more related to the player of Pirri yesterday interview with AV. That was how I understand AV - Pirri had changed teams quite often the recent years.
But if the wonder twins don`t bounce back - they will certainly crush AV`s dream to get a cup.

I don`t think J.T Miller is untouchable at all - he has some weakness for sure even he is relative young. Stepan is too slow and should be considered as well - age can`t change that - he won`t get quicker with age, and he didn`t had great chemistry with skilled players.

Truer words never been spoken!

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
At this point I don't see them moving Stepan. McIlrath is a possibility, Miller maybe as well depending on the return. I think Hayes is a lock to stay in the team. They wouldn't sell Vesey on the team with Hayes and then move him.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Ori, your new Avatar is blasphemy. You can't just switch teams like that, lol.

They are in pacific divison, m8. :)
For me is the best time of the year when nucks meet Rangers.
And when the Sedins great careers are over - we will certainly go in rebuild mode.
I`m a loyal Ranger fan for sure with glass & t-shirts at home from 2014.
And I`ve been following both nucks & Rangers for years in my youth - just not active on the HF Boards.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Ola I disagree with you, I'm terms of holding the puck and the ozone and making plays I would put Miller near the top of the forward group. He's among the best at transitioning it up ice as well. Kreider...fair.

In terms of puck control its Zucc, Nash, Stepan and then Miller IMO. Hayes in the mix but too slow to maneuver at times. He gets overlooked because he also adds some grind. But Miller's raw skill is almost underrated at this point.

I will be pissed if they trade him. Unless it's in a deal for Trouba.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yes. You are so right.
Rangers are not done.
Far from it.

Some of The players know it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/rick-nash-believes-he-s-in-a-battle-to-stay-with-the-rangers-1.12356957

AV knows it

http://blueshirtbulletin.com/news/three-takeaways-initial-camp-comments-by-vigneault/

GM Gorton knows it

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-sign-vesey-its-a-very-exciting-day-for-us/c-892089

This team will be getting a makeover that will change the dynamics. RB is totally correct here. Not done with "the retool" yet. Boston - trading Thornton - comes to mind. Looked real bad at first but was a precursor to winning the Cup. More work to do (ie the defense). Expect more changes between now and TDL. Like I said before, expect two more trades and another signing (1-2 waiver reclamation pickups?) now. I think they have them in place, and might have had so for some time, but are awaiting to see how all the players look in camp and if something unexpected falls into to their lap as we will have cap space this season as it looks now. I have not heard anything specific about who is going where though. Mum is still the word. Respect to Gorton. I did hear earlier that one of our younger 4 RFAs - that we all later resigned - is part of a deal. And that they were shopping Staal and Nash but the offered returns were too low to bite on (this has been reported everywhere). Detroit had interest but went elsewhere. Girardi is untradable. For now at least. I think after WC ends and camps are into full swing things will begin to clear (will Buch and Vesey make the team? How do our younger defensemen look?). If there is possibility for youth infusion - Boom Boom Bang Bang. Nash, Staal, Zucc, Miller and McIllraith being the likely suspects. I think they keep Klein until the TDL maximizing the eventual return. If kids are not ready, the process might be stretched out a bit. But the writing is definitely on the wall. More changes are coming setting the team up for the future. This squad had their "last kick at the can" last year. Management was very vocal about this.

Thanks so much for this information BBKers! :)

I can see them riding out Klein for most of the year only because our RHD depth is pretty bad.

Really sucks that they're going to try and move McIlrath--I'm hoping they let him build up value before moving him. I'd expect another 1st rounder reclamation project to come back.

Staal bounces back, and I expect him to bring back a 1st and a prospect.
Nash returns to 30 goal form and I expect a 1st, prospect, and a replacement (read: younger) roster player
Klein should bring back a young forward and/or pick
Miller should bring back a young PMD
Hopefully McIlrath sticks

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Trouba's agent says he wants out. Do it, Gorton.

Trade McIlrath there as part of the package. He's from Winnipeg and would probably love playing there.

Nash (retained) + McIlrath for Trouba

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Didn't Dagoon say around the deadline that the Jets were super interested in McIlrath ?

Not sure if Winnipeg needs any forwards though, which is the only real trade chip the Rangers have at this point

Edit: Found where he said this, posting screenshot I took

mnInGjA.png

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Didn't Dagoon say around the deadline that the Jets were super interested in McIlrath ?

Not sure if Winnipeg needs any forwards though, which is the only real trade chip the Rangers have at this point

I doubt the Jets would be after RD. The big sticking point (per Trouba) is that he wants to play RD and there's no space for him on that side.

Depending on what their wants/needs are, I would think any potential deal would start with either Skjei or Miller.

We could then make salary cap space by moving Nash or Klein for futures.

That would still give us McD, Staal, Holden on the left (with Graves in the pipeline) and Trouba, Girardi, McIlrath on the right (with Clendenning still around).

Frankly, I like that balance better than trying to play Skjei on his off side.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Trade McIlrath there as part of the package. He's from Winnipeg and would probably love playing there.

They don't need wingers.

Though I'd be willing to give up any player(s) in the Ranger organization sans McDonagh.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
If Larsson could fetch Hall in a one for one, I don't think Winnipeg is going to be keen on letting Trouba go for a few decent pieces. Probably going to need a slightly inferior defenseman plus something else decent.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
If Larsson could fetch Hall in a one for one, I don't think Winnipeg is going to be keen on letting Trouba go for a few decent pieces. Probably going to need a slightly inferior defenseman plus something else decent.

I'd offer Sjkei with an add. The question would be how big the add is (which would be dependent on what their needs might be).

The Hall/Larsson trade is also a tough comp. From what their fans are saying, Winnipeg wants a young LHD. D are generally more valuable than forwards (especially wingers). So I don't think the talent/reputation gap between Trouba and what they get for him will be quite as large as the gap between Larsson and Hall.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

They don't need wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad