Offseason Thread Part III

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
So he didn’t pass his physical and doesn’t want to have the surgery? Is he done.
No there is a lot of info if you look for it out there. Basically there are two surgeries. One of which the team wants isn't really best for him in the long run. I'd say he may not come back to play with that one and it would likely harm his health in the future as well.

The newer procedure basically is a bit less proven, but when done it works better for athletes that play in sports that use similar muscles to hockey. The doctor talked at length about it on a 31 thoughts podcast. Eichel is basically being asked to sacrifice his health by Buffalo, and they're not letting him get the surgery, that IMO would probably work better for him now, and in the long run. The Sabres are kinda holding him captive depending how you look at it.

See the link for more: Why Eichel Wants a Disc Replacement | Podcasts - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No GM is going to toss that Kane grenade into his locker room. Probably not even Sharks GM.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No GM is going to toss that Kane grenade into his locker room. Probably not even Sharks GM.
There were reports this summer that plenty of shark players wanted him out of the locker room and were pissed at the GM because he kept him last year. That was before the rape and gambling on hockey things went public.

Even his teammates know he's a POS and don't want to play with him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
While I can understand why teams and the league wants players to be vaccinated for logistical reasons, it doesn't seem to me like the players who don't want to get vaccinated expect any special treatment for the most part. They seem to realize they will hurt professionally.

I don't particularly agree with their decision. I take the seasonal flu shot each year because I think it's important to contribute to herd immunity to protect others. I just don't think the vicious piling on is going to make anyone change their mind. It might even prevent some from doing so.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

dumpsterfire-dumpster.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder if Sabres misread the situation. If Eichel never is going to budge, they've wasted six months and their trade return. Now this might be a lost year for Eichel no matter what happens. He might not be in good shape for the playoffs no matter where he ends up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I wonder if Sabres misread the situation. If Eichel never is going to budge, they've wasted six months and their trade return. Now this might be a lost year for Eichel no matter what happens. He might not be in good shape for the playoffs no matter where he ends up.

Sabres misread this situation. His value is already lower than before the longer he goes without surgery, and now with the season starting and him failing physicals his value will plummet. Otherwise Sabres have done a good job turning their pieces into prospects and picks.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah every day that goes by his value is dropping.

Hopefully Joe is keeping a close eye on the situation and makes a run at him.
You would want him? At that cost, cap hit, and with his uncertain injury future I say hell no to anything reasonable in a package. He wouldn't even be available to play this year in the regular season most likely, and then you have the question of whether the surgery will get him back to 100% for the playoffs, or ever again. There's a reason his value is dropping.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The most disappointing thing about the Eichel situation for me as an American is I doubt he'll be healthy for the Olympics.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
If I was in charge of Buffalo I would have punted Eichel before now, if I was at this stage I'd definitely do it just to get rid of him.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
You would want him? At that cost, cap hit, and with his uncertain injury future I say hell no to anything reasonable in a package. He wouldn't even be available to play this year in the regular season most likely, and then you have the question of whether the surgery will get him back to 100% for the playoffs, or ever again. There's a reason his value is dropping.
Based on what I heard in the doctors interview on the other procedure he was looking at, I think it'd still be worth the risk.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Eichel is slowly losing his chance to go to the Olympics. That's a pretty big deal.

Reactions: shadow1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Easily

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Even if it meant having to get rid of a guy like Mikko in a few years?
In a hypothetical scenario where we get Eichel and he gets back to his best. I’d take Mack/Eichel at C over Mikko any day. I love Mikko but that would be the best 1-2 punch at C since Crosby/Malkin.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad