Offseason Thread Part III

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I thought it was a mini stick?
giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

This is ridiculous. It's not like there's been a rash if injuries from cross checks, like there was with the slash to the hands. I don't see any reason to make hockey less physical and easier to score goals around the net. These need to stay the hard to play areas, so it separates the men from boys.

None of the examples they showed should be penalties either. And it's telling how dumb these people are, when they show a string of examples that will be penalties next year, and Kadri, Kucherov, and the Bruins player all dove to draw a penalty.

This is just gonna increase the diving and make hockey more like soccer.

Reactions: Avsboy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I have zero faith in the NHL actually enforcing the rule in the playoffs but this is a start. Cross checking has gotten way out of hand and most of these examples aren't even hockey plays. It's just randomly taking someone out when they're not even near the puck. It's obvious interference too but it's not like they call that either.

I'm pretty sure the Kucherov play that has @Foppa2118 calling people dumb and a dive is where he suffered a broken rib. Get that trash out of the game.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have zero faith in the NHL actually enforcing the rule in the playoffs but this is a start. Cross checking has gotten way out of hand and most of these examples aren't even hockey plays. It's just randomly taking someone out when they're not even near the puck. It's obvious interference too but it's not like they call that either.

I'm pretty sure the Kucherov play that has @Foppa2118 calling people dumb and a dive is where he suffered a broken rib. Get that trash out of the game.

I didn't realize that on Kucherov, but why just isolate that example?

How about the Kadri dive and the Bruins player? Do you honestly think those weren't dumb examples of what should be penalties? Unless the Bruins player had some sort of injury too, they were both blatant dives. I know the Kadri one was.

Also, I couldn't disagree more that cross checking has gotten out of hand. It's a complete non issue IMO, and it's so much softer and less prevent than it was before. How about they enforce the hooking and holding before trying to eliminate cross checking from the game?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is ridiculous. It's not like there's been a rash if injuries from cross checks, like there was with the slash to the hands. I don't see any reason to make hockey less physical and easier to score goals around the net. These need to stay the hard to play areas, so it separates the men from boys.

None of the examples they showed should be penalties either. And it's telling how dumb these people are, when they show a string of examples that will be penalties next year, and Kadri, Kucherov, and the Bruins player all dove to draw a penalty.

This is just gonna increase the diving and make hockey more like soccer.
Oh man we usually agree on most things but I couldn't disagree with you more here. There's no room in the game for cross-checking. Some time over the last few years it's somehow become an acceptable method of defending. It used to be a "front of the net is fair game" type of deal. Now? It's all over the ice. Players are no longer seeking to separate a man from the puck with a clean check or through proper body positioning. They're almost all resorting to cross-checking. I can't stand it, and what makes it even worse is it's SO easy to call based on the motion of an offender's arms, yet refs refuse to call it.

I for one am thrilled they're cracking down on this.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Crosschecking has always been part of NHL hockey. If you try to hurt someone = penalty. If you use your stick to make a hockey play (ie: moving a player in front of the net) = fair game.

In my book the game needs more 5v5 minutes and anything that makes refs call too many penalties affects the integrity of the game.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh man we usually agree on most things but I couldn't disagree with you more here. There's no room in the game for cross-checking. Some time over the last few years it's somehow become an acceptable method of defending. It used to be a "front of the net is fair game" type of deal. Now? It's all over the ice. Players are no longer seeking to separate a man from the puck with a clean check or through proper body positioning. They're almost all resorting to cross-checking. I can't stand it, and what makes it even worse is it's SO easy to call based on the motion of an offender's arms, yet refs refuse to call it.

I for one am thrilled they're cracking down on this.

I just think the plays they're using as examples for penalties are ridiculous.

Example 1 - Josh Anderson takes two decent cross checks in a corner battle, that shouldn't be penalized. Then he takes a third, and looks like he has a delayed reaction fall to embellish trying to draw a call. Should not be a penalty.

Example 2 - Kucherov. If this caught him in the perfect spot to break a rib, and he didn't have a rib injury prior, then ok this is a bad hit. Still this play happens hundreds if not thousands of times a year without a broken rib. It has to catch you perfectly with a decent amount of force. Same with any hit.

Example 3 - McDavid tries to dangle through two defensemen, gets stood up with a crosscheck shove to the chest, and is knocked to his ass. This is hockey. Man up and battle through it. Are they supposed to just let the best player in the world embarrass them without hitting him? Absolutely ridiculous if they'd call this a penalty now.

Example 4 - Marchand gives a weak little crosscheck shove that almost looks like it hits the guys hip, not his side. This also should not be a penalty.

Example 5 - Kadri blatant dive. Knows the cross check is coming. Waits for it and flops to the ice. We've seen him and countless other players do this countless times. Embarrassing if they call this a penalty now.

Example 6 - Same blatant dive as Kadri. Gives a little cross check himself. Knows he's gonna get one back from his teammate right there. Takes a light cross check to one of the most protected areas on his body, the upper shoulder pads, and flops to the ice crumbled up in a fetal position like he was shot. Then when he sees no penalty called he jumps up like he's fine.

Players have been diving on these cross checks the exact same way the last two examples did for a while now. They often back up into the defenseman in from of the net, knowing the cross check is coming so they can dive to the ice. Watch how many dives we're gonna see now with this rule. Kadri is gonna spend more time flopping to the ice than he does toe dragging.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Hooking and slashing are worse problems. If a player gets by you you let him go. Don't smack his hands or prevent him from skating.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Crosschecking has always been part of NHL hockey. If you try to hurt someone = penalty. If you use your stick to make a hockey play (ie: moving a player in front of the net) = fair game.

In my book the game needs more 5v5 minutes and anything that makes refs call too many penalties affects the integrity of the game.
This doesn't make any sense. So every penalty where you're trying to make a hockey play should be let go, then?

If I slash the living hell out of your hands but I'm trying to prevent a goal. Let that go? It's a hockey play. If I hook a player on a breakaway do we let that go, too? I'm preventing a goal, it's a hockey play.

Cross-checking is a penalty. Call it. Enforce it. Players will learn, less cross-checks will occur, the game can remain 5v5.

If anything, refs not calling enough penalties affects the integrity of the game. They're penalties. Call them. That's the job.
I just think the plays they're using as examples for penalties are ridiculous.

Example 1 - Josh Anderson takes two decent cross checks in a corner battle, that shouldn't be penalized. Then he takes a third, and looks like he has a delayed reaction fall to embellish trying to draw a call. Should not be a penalty.

Example 2 - Kucherov. If this caught him in the perfect spot to break a rib, and he didn't have a rib injury prior, then ok this is a bad hit. Still this play happens hundreds if not thousands of times a year without a broken rib. It has to catch you perfectly with a decent amount of force. Same with any hit.

Example 3 - McDavid tries to dangle through two defensemen, gets stood up with a crosscheck shove to the chest, and is knocked to his ass. This is hockey. Man up and battle through it. Are they supposed to just let the best player in the world embarrass them without hitting him? Absolutely ridiculous if they'd call this a penalty now.

Example 4 - Marchand gives a weak little crosscheck shove that almost looks like it hits the guys hip, not his side. This also should not be a penalty.

Example 5 - Kadri blatant dive. Knows the cross check is coming. Waits for it and flops to the ice. We've seen him and countless other players do this countless times. Embarrassing if they call this a penalty now.

Example 6 - Same blatant dive as Kadri. Gives a little cross check himself. Knows he's gonna get one back from his teammate right there. Takes a light cross check to one of the most protected areas on his body, the upper shoulder pads, and flops to the ice crumbled up in a fetal position like he was shot. Then when he sees no penalty called he jumps up like he's fine.

Players have been diving on these cross checks the exact same way the last two examples did for a while now. They often back up into the defenseman in from of the net, knowing the cross check is coming so they can dive to the ice. Watch how many dives we're gonna see now with this rule. Kadri is gonna spend more time flopping to the ice than he does toe dragging.
Players need to learn not to go in with a cross-checking motion, then. Learn proper body position. Don't extend your arms in a forceful manner if your stick is in a cross-checking position. This isn't difficult for players especially at the NHL level. There is no need whatsoever for cross-checking to be a part of this sport.

Every single player that thinks cross-checking is "ok" should be forced to watch Ryan O'Reilly defend/forecheck. Use your stick to attack the puck, your body to gain position and your brain to be proactive/reactive. Players that cross-check need to be penalized every single time. Even Rantanen. That's a part of his game I can't stand. I remember when we played Dallas in the playoffs in 2020 and he cross-checked Heiskanen I believe in game 3 with a minute left. I couldn't believe it didn't get called (and we actually scored an ENG on the play from Bellemare). I thought he broke Heiskanen's ribs. Just unnecessary.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This doesn't make any sense. So every penalty where you're trying to make a hockey play should be let go, then?

If I slash the living hell out of your hands but I'm trying to prevent a goal. Let that go? It's a hockey play.

One is a very dangerous thing (slashing the hands) and the other isn't (crosschecking).

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Players need to learn not to go in with a cross-checking motion, then. Learn proper body position. Don't extend your arms in a forceful manner if your stick is in a cross-checking position. This isn't difficult for players especially at the NHL level. There is no need whatsoever for cross-checking to be a part of this sport.

Every single player that thinks cross-checking is "ok" should be forced to watch Ryan O'Reilly defend/forecheck. Use your stick to attack the puck, your body to gain position and your brain to be proactive/reactive. Players that cross-check need to be penalized every single time. Even Rantanen. That's a part of his game I can't stand. I remember when we played Dallas in the playoffs in 2020 and he cross-checked Heiskanen I believe in game 3 with a minute left. I couldn't believe it didn't get called (and we actually scored an ENG on the play from Bellemare). I thought he broke Heiskanen's ribs. Just unnecessary.

Yes, but in hockey you have to carry your stick along with you. So if you want to shove someone, or push them away from the puck, or away from the net, you either have to drop your stick (not gonna happen) or use your stick to win a physical battle.

As Balthazar alluded to, cross checking is already a penalty. If someone crosses the line and uses too much force they get penalized. If there's a broken rib as a result of a bad cross check, they should consider a suspension. The examples they sited as penalties in their video did not come even close to crossing the line for a penalty or suspension IMO, except maybe Kucherov if we're going to be results oriented.

ROR has special defensive instincts and a special high motor that almost no other player has. Other players aren't capable of expending that much energy by keeping their feet moving and defending like ROR. They have to use their physical attributes and strength to defend the dirty areas. That's what makes ROR so good at what he does.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Zadorov's presser was amazing today.

He was asked about not playing in the top four in Chicago and if he's up to that in Calgary.

Zadorov: Did you watch hockey last year? I played on the top pair with Murphy for like 80% of the season.

Then he was asked about playing in a shutdown role.

Zadorov: I'm definitely not a PP guy.

On playing in a Canadian market.

Zadorov: I think there's pressure in every hockey city. Well, maybe not if you're in Arizona or something.

:laugh:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Zadorov's presser was amazing today.

He was asked about not playing in the top four in Chicago and if he's up to that in Calgary.

Zadorov: Did you watch hockey last year? I played on the top pair with Murphy for like 80% of the season.

Then he was asked about playing in a shutdown role.

Zadorov: I'm definitely not a PP guy.

On playing in a Canadian market.

Zadorov: I think there's pressure in every hockey city. Well, maybe not if you're in Arizona or something.

:laugh:
Man, it was time for the Avs to move on from him, but I miss his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad