Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nystrom's would be off at the end of the year, Nash's in 2 years, and Staal's cap hit is miniscule. Girardi's is the problem but he cannot be on the team any longer. They still would be under the cap if it goes up to $73M. Total cap hit for that team would be $71,763,333. If not throw Nystrom plus a pick to Carolina for a late round pick. Saves them $2.5M. Nystrom is off at the end of next season, Nash in 2, and Staal's $1.2M is not bad. Girardi's is the issue, but they have no choice but to buy him out.

They would have 2 contracts up at the end of next season: Fast and Lindberg, both of whom will not see big raises. One of them may even be in Vegas. You hope Fiala and Buch do well enough to earn a 2nd line spot and move Hudler if Vegas doesn't take him in the draft. They would be fine in the upcoming years.

No, they can keep him and hope he bounces back enough to be an effective 3rd pairing player. Hopefully restore a little value to him and move him next summer, if not, buy him out then. They can't buy him out this summer, the cap penalty in years 3 and 4 are nearly 3 and 4 million I believe.

What needs to happen if Girardi is a Ranger next season (which is the most likely outcome) is that AV needs to readjust his feelings about Dan and adjust his usage. He can't be his workhorse anymore and he can't see top minutes and matchups.

I think if Girardi can get healthy and improve even slightly from last season, if he is used in a 3rd pair and 2nd pk capacity, seeing roughly 13-15 minutes a game, he can be serviceable. Overpaid but serviceable.

Lundqvist 30 NY

Feb 8, 2012
NY
Lol, yeah, two years of dead cap space just wasting away during the final years of Lundqvist's prime.

Sounds like a smart decision.

Cap will go up. The dead cap still doesn't equal the combined value of Staal and Girardi's cap hit so lol. Unless you wanna keep trotting out those 2 game after game, while wasting away Lundqvist's prime years instead of having an actual better roster.

Lundqvist 30 NY

Feb 8, 2012
NY
No, they can keep him and hope he bounces back enough to be an effective 3rd pairing player. Hopefully restore a little value to him and move him next summer, if not, buy him out then. They can't buy him out this summer, the cap penalty in years 3 and 4 are nearly 3 and 4 million I believe.

What needs to happen if Girardi is a Ranger next season (which is the most likely outcome) is that AV needs to readjust his feelings about Dan and adjust his usage. He can't be his workhorse anymore and he can't see top minutes and matchups.

I think if Girardi can get healthy and improve even slightly from last season, if he is used in a 3rd pair and 2nd pk capacity, seeing roughly 13-15 minutes a game, he can be serviceable. Overpaid but serviceable.

Girardi is done

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
From Brooks 1/23 Post Column:

How could Brooks misinterpreted an email? It's quotes taken directly from Don Meehan's email to Brooks. Zero room for misinterpretation

Yes, and this post:

General Fanager is most likely correct. Everyone was initially misinterpreting the Agents quote to Brooks

"[Girardi] has a full no-move in the first 3 years and then in the last 3 years he can be traded to 15 teams".

Reading it quick makes it seems that its a NMC that turns into a NTC, which is wrong. It actually means its a full NMC (NMC plus full no trade) that turns into a modified NMC (NMC plus limited NTC), so protection is probably needed. This is similar to the clauses in the Clarkson and Fleury deals. All three have NMCs with built in modified NTCs. So they are protected against waivers, demotions, loans, and some variation of trades. But they will each need to be protected.

explains quite clearly how it is possible that it may have been misinterpreted. I don't agree or disagree with the post, nor do I care, but no one said the agent was wrong as you decided to accuse people of.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

His buyout cap hit is virtually the same in those seasons regardless of buying him out this off season or next.

Lundqvist 30 NY

Feb 8, 2012
NY
You're still saving $ on his buyout for the remaining 4 years he has left of his contract. If the Rangers can't manage to work around $1.25M in dead cap for an additional four years then LOL

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
To me, Girardi needs to be bought out today if:

• The Rangers end up needing to protect him
  • There is no necessary cap threshold to meet of players made available in expansion

He isn't going to bounce back. No one is trading for him. LV isn't picking him up. If we don't need him as a loophole in expansion, buy him out today.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

• There is no necessary cap threshold to meet of players made available in expansion

He isn't going to bounce back. No one is trading for him. LV isn't picking him up. If we don't need him as a loophole in expansion, buy him out today.

agree completely!

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

He'll never be what he was, but I think a team that sees itself as a contender in two years will not carry $3.75M in dead space.

They will either retain 50% after this year where the acquiring team would owe $2M in real dollars and less moving forward... or explore a buyout with less constraints.

The buy-out window just opened and he's not on waivers.

It's not happening.

If they get another good RHD, they will treat him as a 3rd pair, PK option that plays 10-12 EV ST minutes a night versus 3rd & 4th line players, and the rest on the PK.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's already been reported that the team is looking to reduce Girardis minutes, since they know he's not an effective 1RHD anymore.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
Jim Nill was on NHL network today (Sirius XM).. dude was saying he had big decision on defense (demers, Russel & Golgi).. he basically said they have the pieces to develop their young D and are fine rolling out during the season (honka, Johns, Kling)..

he was on close to noon and look what happened in the afternoon guy is trading golgi's rights to AZ..

the overall theme we've been discussing here about younger and faster.. is the entire leagues theme..

and then buying out or retaining salary on staal and G to just give a **** ton of money to Demers or Yandle is asinine.. we'll be in the same position as we are now 2-3 years from now with similar headaches.. we need ELC players not more bloated contracts

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He'll never be what he was, but I think a team that sees itself as a contender in two years will not carry $3.75M in dead space.

They will either retain 50% after this year where the acquiring team would owe $2M in real dollars and less moving forward... or explore a buyout with less constraints.

The buy-out window just opened and he's not on waivers.

It's not happening.

If they get another good RHD, they will treat him as a 3rd pair, PK option that plays 10-12 EV ST minutes a night versus 3rd & 4th line players, and the rest on the PK.

What does bolded mean?

There's this weird narrative going around that a buyout next off-season is like, infinitely better than a buyout right now. Simply not true.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What does bolded mean?

There's this weird narrative going around that a buyout next off-season is like, infinitely better than a buyout right now. Simply not true.

Apparently just north of 500k in savings for years 3 and 4 is worth keeping 5.5 of Girardi for next season.

You can't make this kind of stuff up.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Apparently just north of 500k in savings for years 3 and 4 is worth keeping 5.5 of Girardi for next season.

You can't make this kind of stuff up.

This false hope that G will rebound to the point that LV wants him, or a team will trade for him like 50% retained or some ****... I don't see it. I wish I had that optimism, but I don't see it.

So quick to say, oh you know, G could rebound as the 3RD. Meanwhile, Hayes is seemingly hated for having a sophomore slump season that was on par with Miller's breakout year.

Odd times, IMO.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
silverfish,

Last summer you thought that Girardi's corgi numbers were bad because of his zone starts. You've come such a long way. Brings a tear to my eye that was blinded after watching Girardi attempt to play hockey this past season.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
silverfish,

Last summer you thought that Girardi's corgi numbers were bad because of his zone starts. You've come such a long way. Brings a tear to my eye that was blinded after watching Girardi attempt to play hockey this past season.

Well, yes. I've "educated" myself on a few things. I still think a lot of his 14-15 numbers had to do with usage. Not as much as before, but enough to have an effect.

Last season though....

There was a severe downturn between 14-15 Girardi, and 15-16 Girardi, and that should speak volumes.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to nuke the roster. The cap is not going up much at all for the foreseeable future. The Canadian dollar sucks. The Rangers can't play the musical chairs game. Patch one area and not enough money to patch the other area. The team isn't winning. Do a complete reset. The organization has no depth. They have a handful of young players in the system.

Maybe Girardi agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft knowing Las Vegas will never claim that contract and the Rangers agree to not buy him out. Vegas is not taking that contract. Girardi finishes his career on LTIR with the Rangers. Girardi is beat up physically. AV was asked what was wrong with Girardi. AV said everything.

The Rangers are buying him for what? Add eight years of dead cap space in a era of the flat cap. This is not the 2005 CBA where the cap went from $39M to $70.2M.

The cap was set at $64.3M coming out of the 2013 lockout. $64.3M was the cap in the last full season of the 2005 CBA.

$69M
$71.4M
$72.8M tops in 16-17

The cap was set at $39M in 2005. It went to $44M to $50.3M to $56.7M in the first three years. $56.8M in the financial meltdown year. $59M. $64.3M. $70.2M for 12-13 which was the lockout year with 57% which was set before the CBA expired.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, yes. I've "educated" myself on a few things. I still think a lot of his 14-15 numbers had to do with usage. Not as much as before, but enough to have an effect.

Last season though....

There was a severe downturn between 14-15 Girardi, and 15-16 Girardi, and that should speak volumes.

Yeah I mean. Even I, a huge Girardi supporter for the few years leading up to this past season, didn't think he played like a top 4. It's a false narrative that we were seeing the same Girardi last season.

I'm curious to see what a long summer will do for a player with a lot of miles on him, but I'm not expecting much from him anymore.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
What does bolded mean?

See Scuderi, Rob.

There's a $100k difference in those 3.7M hits.. Versus a buyout now verses next year. And the 1.25M hit for two more seasons after that.

But look at how Rob Scuderi got moved... Twice.. To spread a cap bit between teams that won the cup 2x in recent years.

There's not a long term hit for those teams.. Just a short term diluted one.

Creative cap maneuvering by the tea a involved.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I keep thinking back on BBKers post about building a team for what hockey will be like 4 years from now. What does the organization think will happen by then?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'm starting to feel really bad. Poor Girardy. All the hate, comments, pressure, living up to that contract. We gotta give him and us a break. He won't be traded, he won't waive and we sure as hell should buy him out.

We all have to sit through this situation. Let's focus some positive energy on G, that he may heal well and train his ass off this off-season. I don't expect him to learn new tricks. But healthy and confident, G can be servicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad