Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I hear you. Again, just wondering what would constitute a rebuild in some folks' eyes around here.
I think you can argue that the Rangers have been using the San Jose model... competitive team every year but falling short in the end while keeping most of the same pieces. Agreed on Nash and Staal but not sure how easy it will be to move Staal.
A lot is up in the air... expansion draft rules, salary cap number, draft. Should be an interesting offseason.

No doubt it's going to be interesting . Rangers will make moves . I think Nash and staal have value to the right teams

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Rangers need to nuke the roster. The cap is not going up much at all for the foreseeable future. The Canadian dollar sucks. The Rangers can't play the musical chairs game. Patch one area and not enough money to patch the other area. The team isn't winning. Do a complete reset. The organization has no depth. They have a handful of young players in the system.

Maybe Girardi agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft knowing Las Vegas will never claim that contract and the Rangers agree to not buy him out. Vegas is not taking that contract. Girardi finishes his career on LTIR with the Rangers. Girardi is beat up physically. AV was asked what was wrong with Girardi. AV said everything.

The Rangers are buying him for what? Add eight years of dead cap space in a era of the flat cap. This is not the 2005 CBA where the cap went from $39M to $70.2M.

The cap was set at $64.3M coming out of the 2013 lockout. $64.3M was the cap in the last full season of the 2005 CBA.

$69M
$71.4M
$72.8M tops in 16-17

The cap was set at $39M in 2005. It went to $44M to $50.3M to $56.7M in the first three years. $56.8M in the financial meltdown year. $59M. $64.3M. $70.2M for 12-13 which was the lockout year with 57% which was set before the CBA expired.

pay attention peeps!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Would Tyler Bozak be a decent buy low candidate? Right hand shot. There were rumors in the past that the Rangers had interest in him. If they get a haul for Stepan, would we move something for a couple of years for Bozak who is a 2C. Solid on face offs. I think the price would be very low.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The Rangers need to nuke the roster. The cap is not going up much at all for the foreseeable future. The Canadian dollar sucks. The Rangers can't play the musical chairs game. Patch one area and not enough money to patch the other area. The team isn't winning. Do a complete reset. The organization has no depth. They have a handful of young players in the system.

Maybe Girardi agrees to waive his NMC for the expansion draft knowing Las Vegas will never claim that contract and the Rangers agree to not buy him out. Vegas is not taking that contract. Girardi finishes his career on LTIR with the Rangers. Girardi is beat up physically. AV was asked what was wrong with Girardi. AV said everything.

The Rangers are buying him for what? Add eight years of dead cap space in a era of the flat cap. This is not the 2005 CBA where the cap went from $39M to $70.2M.

The cap was set at $64.3M coming out of the 2013 lockout. $64.3M was the cap in the last full season of the 2005 CBA.

$69M
$71.4M
$72.8M tops in 16-17

The cap was set at $39M in 2005. It went to $44M to $50.3M to $56.7M in the first three years. $56.8M in the financial meltdown year. $59M. $64.3M. $70.2M for 12-13 which was the lockout year with 57% which was set before the CBA expired.

You can opine for this all you want but it's not going to happen. This might work for other markets but the Rangers aren't going to "nuke" anything - particularly not with Lundqvist having a few years left before he's well past his prime.

Not saying your philosophy is wrong. Am saying the Rangers won't do it.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Would Tyler Bozak be a decent buy low candidate? Right hand shot. There were rumors in the past that the Rangers had interest in him. If they get a haul for Stepan, would we move something for a couple of years for Bozak who is a 2C. Solid on face offs. I think the price would be very low.

I think he could do well here. I think it would be worth giving him a shot. He's not part of the getting younger mandate though.

But if they're moving current roster pieces for futures, and want to remain just a bit competitive, then Bozak would be a good stop-gap solution in the meantime.

Especially if we ship Stepan or Brassard out.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
I'm starting to feel really bad. Poor Girardy. All the hate, comments, pressure, living up to that contract. We gotta give him and us a break. He won't be traded, he won't waive and we sure as hell should buy him out.

We all have to sit through this situation. Let's focus some positive energy on G, that he may heal well and train his ass off this off-season. I don't expect him to learn new tricks. But healthy and confident, G can be servicable.

I agree with this, 100%. Guy isn't the same. He gave his left nut to this franchise. Played last year with a cracked knee cap. Try going to a normal job with a cracked knee cap. He's beaten up. I'm hoping a full summer of rest does him well and he can be a decent dman again. He's not a top 4 guy anymore, but he still can be a bottom pair type of guy. His contract is what it is. He's not going to live up to it but he earned it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That's not a bad idea if we don't bring back someone younger/cheaper who is ready to step in.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
You can opine for this all you want but it's not going to happen. This might work for other markets but the Rangers aren't going to "nuke" anything - particularly not with Lundqvist having a few years left before he's well past his prime.

Not saying your philosophy is wrong. Am saying the Rangers won't do it.

The Rangers are only delaying the inevitable. That's why the Rangers have won Cup in 76 years. Lundqvist is not winning the Cup by himself. The Rangers need high end talent to win.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I keep thinking back on BBKers post about building a team for what hockey will be like 4 years from now. What does the organization think will happen by then?

I am not sure they are really thinking about 4 years from now, I kind of doubt it, but if they are

This CBA is a 10-year agreement, but both can choose to opt out after 8 years. The NHL will have first crack to do so by Sept. 1, 2019. If they decline, the NHLPA can decide to opt out by Sept. 19, 2019.

Which would mean they are, in my opinion, actually acting prudently, planning to come out of the next likely work stoppage as a good young well stocked team. We'll see I suppose.

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklov...f-hockey-in-2020-unless-theres-a-lockout.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-s-doomsday-preppers-1.337268

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Don't you mean Ryan Bozak? :laugh:

In all seriousness, as someone pointed out the other day, Stepan is the one that takes the tough minutes allowing Brassard to be sheltered at times. I would rather trade Brassgod and replace him with Bozak as 2C. I think we can still get a fairly large haul for Brass.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What would the Leafs even want?

I'm assuming that if we need Bozak, we have already traded away some good pieces as part of the re-tool.

Hard to say.

The Leafs already have too many draft picks and they want to turn some of them into young established NHL players. Do they want more draft picks or young players? They already have so many. To get Bozak you will need to give up some of the pieces acquired in the retool unless they just want to dump the contract to free up money and give him away to bring Stamkos to Toronto.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The Leafs already have too many draft picks and they want to turn some of them into young established NHL players. Do they want more draft picks or young players? They already have so many. To get Bozak you will need to give up some of the pieces acquired in the retool unless they just want to dump the contract to free up money and give him away to bring Stamkos to Toronto.

Yeah, it's extremely hard to judge what this move would even require. Entirely dependent on the other moves that the Rangers make, and it also depends on whatever TML want to do.

Too many variables for that move to be clear now, IMO

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What are the Rangers trading for Bozak?

No idea, but if the price is low, he's not a bad option as a stop gap replacement if we trade one of Stepan or Brassard. I'm sure whatever we would get for Stepan or Brassard would be quite a bit more than what Bozak would cost.

Bozak could also be exposed in the expansion draft or traded at the deadline. If the Rangers have money to spend and need someone to play 2nd line center while a younger player matures, I'd prefer 2 years of Bozak over 6+ years of a UFA. Ideally though we bring in a young player who is NHL ready with potential to grow into a top 6 center spot.

No matter what we do this summer, one thing is for certain: the Rangers are going to spend every dollar of the cap.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bozak really???

Lets trade Brassard who is 28 and Stepan who is 25 but bring in 30 year old Bozak. Maybe he can replace 24 year old Hayes?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Bozak really???

Lets trade Brassard who is 28 and Stepan who is 25 but bring in 30 year old Bozak. Maybe he can replace 24 year old Hayes?

Bozak is a stop-gap during a re-tooling phase if we trade one of Brassard or Stepan.

Bozak would cost peanuts compared to what we'd get in a trade for one of those guys.

The point of getting Bozak is to just hold the fort for a bit until the futures we get mature into NHLers.

We wouldn't be trading for Bozak to be a core member of the team.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bozak is a stop-gap during a re-tooling phase if we trade one of Brassard or Stepan.

Bozak would cost peanuts compared to what we'd get in a trade for one of those guys.

The point of getting Bozak is to just hold the fort for a bit until the futures we get mature into NHLers.

We wouldn't be trading for Bozak to be a core member of the team.

Parting with anything worth of value whether it's a pick or prospect for 30 year old Bozak is a mistake.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Bozak is terrible. Why the **** are we trading Hayes and Mcilrath for him. In fact why are we trading either for him? Some of you are just losing it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Bozak really???

Bozak would be a stop gap, not a long term replacement.

Let's say we trade Stepan to Minnesota and one of the pieces we get back is Eriksson Ek. He may need a year in the AHL. Who do we replace Stepan with in the meantime? Hayes can move up maybe, but that leaves a hole on the 3rd line, especially with Lindberg missing time.

I'm not saying we absolutely should trade for Bozak. It depends on a lot of factors. Who do we get back in our other trades? How much cap space do we have left when those other trades are done? Who else is available that might be a better short-term option? How much would it cost to acquire Bozak?

It's a discussion, nothing more.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just gonna throw some names out there for low risk-high reward signings: Nakladal, Schlemko, Redmond, JAM, Trevor Lewis, Boyd Gordon, Klinkhammer, and Justin Fontaine.

None are going to happen anyways. Back to reality.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bozak would be a stop gap, not a long term replacement.

Let's say we trade Stepan to Minnesota and one of the pieces we get back is Eriksson Ek. He may need a year in the AHL. Who do we replace Stepan with in the meantime? Hayes can move up maybe, but that leaves a hole on the 3rd line, especially with Lindberg missing time.

I'm not saying we absolutely should trade for Bozak. It depends on a lot of factors. Who do we get back in our other trades? How much cap space do we have left when those other trades are done? Who else is available that might be a better short-term option? How much would it cost to acquire Bozak?

It's a discussion, nothing more.

I'd be looking for a stopgap via free agency. Someone who is willing to do 1-2 year deal. Or like you said move Hayes into top-6.

By trading Stepan/Brassard we are commiting to a retool/rebuild. Last thing we should be doing is giving away assets for someone who is going to be here for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad