Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
you newer fans wouldnt remember this but under the last CBA you could hide a contract in the minors and only get charged a small caphit. Which is why they demoted Redden. They got out from 5.75 of his caphit. Under the new CBA, you can only get a small break. the rangers would get 900K in cap relief and the other 5.6 would still be on the cap.

Does the difference in circumstance make sense?

Was going to post this (without the age reference lol)

The difference is night and DAY

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Count of players currently making over $5m AAV per team (does not include current FAs)

ekHI2lY.png

Maybe this narrative that $8.5m tied up in a goalie is ruining our team can stop now?

Maybe it's more likely that the Rangers shouldn't have $11m tied up in terrible d-men?

People see other teams win the cup with cheaper goalies and think we're wasting money on Henrik. Bottom line is he's our best player by far and the most important player on this team, he earned every cent of his contract, if he went UFA he would've gotten even more.

All teams have to pay their best players a very high amount. Crosby and Malkin both make more than Hank. Toews/Kane. Subban at 9m, which wait until Price is up for a new deal, he'll get Hank's contract minimum. Even if his career stats don't back it up, the media loves pumping him as the messiah because of a season and a half of dominance. Bergevin will get skewered if he does anything short of rename the Canadiens the Careydiens to keep Price happy.

Hank earned his money and deserves it for his play currently. People are complaining about it when he is completely earning it still. You pay your best players and worry about the rest later. So Hank makes 8.5m a season? So what, he deserves it.

Girardi @ 5.5m = overpaid by 2.5m

Staal @ 5.7m = overpaid by 2m

Glass @ 1.45m = overpaid by 1.45m

Those are 3 deals given out by the Rangers that are far more egregious than Hank's. I'll never understand why Hank's deal is the one people get mad about. The dude is the best at his position for his generation.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
People see other teams win the cup with cheaper goalies and think we're wasting money on Henrik. Bottom line is he's our best player by far and the most important player on this team, he earned every cent of his contract, if he went UFA he would've gotten even more.

All teams have to pay their best players a very high amount. Crosby and Malkin both make more than Hank. Toews/Kane. Subban at 9m, which wait until Price is up for a new deal, he'll get Hank's contract minimum. Even if his career stats don't back it up, the media loves pumping him as the messiah because of a season and a half of dominance. Bergevin will get skewered if he does anything short of rename the Canadiens the Careydiens to keep Price happy.

Hank earned his money and deserves it for his play currently. People are complaining about it when he is completely earning it still. You pay your best players and worry about the rest later. So Hank makes 8.5m a season? So what, he deserves it.

Girardi @ 5.5m = overpaid by 2.5m

Staal @ 5.7m = overpaid by 2m

Glass @ 1.45m = overpaid by 1.45m

Those are 3 deals given out by the Rangers that are far more egregious than Hank's. I'll never understand why Hank's deal is the one people get mad about. The dude is the best at his position for his generation.

@ bolded - first I laughed, then I got sad.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If G needs to be protected in the expansion draft, then he needs to be bought out.

Then again, we'll finally have a clearer pictures once all of this info is released by, I'm guessing, some point next week.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If G needs to be protected in the expansion draft, then he needs to be bought out.

Then again, we'll finally have a clearer pictures once all of this info is released by, I'm guessing, some point next week.

Similarly, if he isn't needed to reach any cap threshold of players made available, he should also be bought out.

jenkinsNYR9

Dec 5, 2011
General Fanager is most likely correct. Everyone was initially misinterpreting the Agents quote to Brooks

"[Girardi] has a full no-move in the first 3 years and then in the last 3 years he can be traded to 15 teams".

Reading it quick makes it seems that its a NMC that turns into a NTC, which is wrong. It actually means its a full NMC (NMC plus full no trade) that turns into a modified NMC (NMC plus limited NTC), so protection is probably needed. This is similar to the clauses in the Clarkson and Fleury deals. All three have NMCs with built in modified NTCs. So they are protected against waivers, demotions, loans, and some variation of trades. But they will each need to be protected.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
General Fanager is most likely correct. Everyone was initially misinterpreting the Agents quote to Brooks

"[Girardi] has a full no-move in the first 3 years and then in the last 3 years he can be traded to 15 teams".

Reading it quick makes it seems that its a NMC that turns into a NTC, which is wrong. It actually means its a full NMC (NMC plus full no trade) that turns into a modified NMC (NMC plus limited NTC), so protection is probably needed. This is similar to the clauses in the Clarkson and Fleury deals. All three have NMCs with built in modified NTCs. So they are protected against waivers, demotions, loans, and some variation of trades. But they will each need to be protected.

I think Dan needs to log on and tell us himself.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
At this point, if I'm in the FO of a team that "doesn't believe" in analytics, I'm taking a good hard look at some of the decisions guys like Chayka are making, and trying to figure out why they are making them.

Arizona just bought themselves 15 days of negotiations with Goligoski, a guy that will be sought after quite a bit on the UFA market. That's worth a late pick (assuming they gave up a 5th or later for this right) every day of the week.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Similarly, if he isn't needed to reach any cap threshold of players made available, he should also be bought out.

if he has a bounce back year and there is a chance Vegas could claim him, AND you don't have to use a protection slot, you keep him. Worst case, buy him out the following year. Rangers aren't competing for a cup this coming season

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Honka is likely the replacement for Demers when he gets overpaid. Goligoski gets replaced by......Marc Staal.

I'll take it.

Then perhaps we can keep Yandle? :D

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

That's really not that bad. If you can trade Klein for a forward, and then trade Kreider for Vatanen, it's even better.

McDonagh-Vatanen
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi

Skjei has plenty of skill to handle Girardi on his pairing. Might actually even be good for him to play with a seasoned vet. Again, worst case, you move him (via buyout) the following offseason. This is assuming the protection issues are sorted out. If Girardi needs any protection at all, he needs to go. I would hate to lose McIlrath at the expense of Girardi

This is all moot if Management thinks Graves is ready by next season (2017-18), cause then you could go:

McDonagh-Vatanen
Skjei-McIlrath
Graves-Girardi/UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad