Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
A stopgap only to finish better to have a worse draft position?

I am not saying they should tank, but a stopgap being a prospects, or someone cheap as dirt they can waive or better yet sell at the next deadline is a little different than wasting time with mediocre vets.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If the team needs a stop-gap center, sign Sam Ganger for a 1 year deal. Maybe he can find some momentum and be a decent deadline asset or actually be a piece they could keep around moving forward. In all likelihood he's cooked, but he can at least absorb the minutes.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If you are actually committing to a rebuild, a Bozak acquisition makes sense in exactly two scenarios:

1) as part of a larger deal where Toronto is also giving up some of the picks/prospects they've amassed. In that case, what you're really acquiring is the picks/prospects and taking Bozak to make the money work and/or the deal more palatable to Toronto (which may be the same thing).

Or

2) you can get him for like a 5th or 6th round pick in 2017 or 2018 (i.e. a straight-up cap dump by Toronto).

Otherwise, as others have said, just play Hayes/Miller/Lindberg/whatever centers you get back in the rebuild-oriented trades you make, or sign a UFA on a short term deal. Actually giving up meaningful assets because "you need someone to fill the role until the kids are ready" is a waste of those assets; if all you want are guys to eat ice time to shelter the kids, you've got them/can get them without giving up anything of real value.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Bozak is a stop-gap during a re-tooling phase if we trade one of Brassard or Stepan.

Bozak would cost peanuts compared to what we'd get in a trade for one of those guys.

The point of getting Bozak is to just hold the fort for a bit until the futures we get mature into NHLers.

We wouldn't be trading for Bozak to be a core member of the team.

Are you dizzy? That's quite a lot of spin.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers are only delaying the inevitable. That's why the Rangers have won Cup in 76 years. Lundqvist is not winning the Cup by himself. The Rangers need high end talent to win.

What would the Leafs even want?

I'm assuming that if we need Bozak, we have already traded away some good pieces as part of the re-tool.

Hard to say.

What are the Rangers trading for Bozak?

Don't you mean Ryan Bozak? :laugh:

In all seriousness, as someone pointed out the other day, Stepan is the one that takes the tough minutes allowing Brassard to be sheltered at times. I would rather trade Brassgod and replace him with Bozak as 2C. I think we can still get a fairly large haul for Brass.

I don't think Bozak is as bad as many here are stating but that's not the point. Toronto may be looking to dump him. He's on a short-term contract, is solid on face-offs and scores at a 2C rate. RH shot.

Just for arguments sake:

Trades:

Stepan for Dumba + Tuch + MIN 1st

Nash for Wilson + NSH 1st

Staal @ 4.2 million for Bozak

They get young players to help fill some holes AND bring in a 2C who can fill the hole while Hayes develops. If Hayes proves he is ready, you have an excellent 3C for a couple of years.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't think Staal fetches Bozak.

Bozak is good player. Good #2C but unfortunately he's 30.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Can the Rangers make a deal with Phoenix? Can the Rangers get Ryan Strome and their pick back? Tippett wanted Maloney to trade the Strome pick to Boston for Dougie Hamilton. Tippett helped to get rid of Maloney.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't think Bozak is as bad as many here are stating but that's not the point. Toronto may be looking to dump him. He's on a short-term contract, is solid on face-offs and scores at a 2C rate. RH shot.

Just for arguments sake:

Trades:

Stepan for Dumba + Tuch + MIN 1st

Nash for Wilson + NSH 1st

Staal @ 4.2 million for Bozak

They get young players to help fill some holes AND bring in a 2C who can fill the hole while Hayes develops. If Hayes proves he is ready, you have an excellent 3C for a couple of years.

That is a completely different scenario than what most are thinking in regards to acquiring Bozak.

That's like saying "Trading for Bryan Bickell isn't as bad as some think. If we could trade Girardi for Bickell, that's a good deal!" Completely changes the entire reason for the trade. The current discussion is "what would it take to acquire Bozak if we could use him as a stop gap" which is much different than "would you take Bozak in return to dump Staal's deal on Toronto." Very different thought processes.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Can the Rangers make a deal with Phoenix? Can the Rangers get Ryan Strome and their pick back? Tippett wanted Maloney to trade the Strome pick to Boston for Dougie Hamilton. Tippett helped to get rid of Maloney.

Ryan plays for the NYI. Dylan Strome is part of the Yotes organization. What would be the incentive for them to trade him?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

No way they move Strome, Domi or Duclair. That's their future. Arizona needs help on defense outside of OEL. They have $$ and they will throw it at Goligoski. What a smart move for that franchise...

Yandle for NYR 1st '17 + Duclair + 2nd '16

Wait a year

Sign Goligoski for $$ to replace what Yandle brought.

Profit:

Goligsoki + Duclair + NYR 1st + NYR 2nd for Yandle

:amazed::amazed:

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY

What would we trade to get strome? Kreider Hayes Miller?? McDonagh for strome and their first?? We'd have to give a ton to get that

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm sure they're contemplating every option, but if they have to protect him in expansion (because the damn answer to that changes daily), they should just do it. They won't have to protect him, they'll save cap space in the short term, and the long term isn't as horrendous as some make it out to be

This is really my only gripe at this point. If Girardi requires protection in the expansion draft, then he needs to be bought out.

What I haven't figured out is whether or teams will be able to buy out players on June 15, 2017. I don't mind keeping Girardi for one more year and then attempting to trade him at the deadline if a contender is interested in him (Rangers may not be at all next season)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Maybe they move Staal in a separate deal and move those assets for Bozak.

This team isn't going to blow it up. It's just not going to happen

I don't want them to blow it up. Retool. But I'd be very reluctant to give up assets for Bozak. If they are willing to do a swap for Staal while we retain a bit that's fine. Parting with a pick or a prospect is a no-no.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That is a completely different scenario than what most are thinking in regards to acquiring Bozak.

That's like saying "Trading for Bryan Bickell isn't as bad as some think. If we could trade Girardi for Bickell, that's a good deal!" Completely changes the entire reason for the trade. The current discussion is "what would it take to acquire Bozak if we could use him as a stop gap" which is much different than "would you take Bozak in return to dump Staal's deal on Toronto." Very different thought processes.

I see what you're saying, and it actually does make sense as a third scenario in addition to the ones I laid out above – but ONLY for Girardi, not Staal, IMO.

I think you can get something of value for Staal, especially if you retain salary on him.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
I see what you're saying, and it actually does make sense as a third scenario in addition to the ones I laid out above – but ONLY for Girardi, not Staal, IMO.

I think you can get something of value for Staal, especially if you retain salary on him.

I don't see us retain on either girardi or staal.. More g if anything.. Way to long of term left and we consistently spend to the cap.. No way we do that

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They don't need to blow it up, just figure out how to get younger and better over the next several years.

Adding in players that are going to keep them mediocre is not going to lead to much.

If it were me, I'd just think of this whole thing as a plan to come out of 2019 with a strong prospect pool and a youngish core that can buffer and improve with the prospect pool.

Trying to make next years team or the one after that better just for the sake of the anything could happen idea is just not where they should be.

Take their lumps, finish where they do, no need to tank and no need to add in more middle six forwards.

There is nothing really wrong with just allowing the process to naturally play out. Do the opposite of what they have been, sell at the deadlines, keep their picks while adding in when they can. Make trades that focus on futures when they come up. Put the prospects who are ready on the team. No reason to give coaching other vet options because if they do he is going to use them.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't see us retain on either girardi or staal.. More g if anything.. Way to long of term left and we consistently spend to the cap.. No way we do that

It just depends on the return. Retaining some on Staal is okay if they can get a good young player back who will be on their ELC for the next couple of years, then their bridge deal after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad