Speculation: Offseason Thread: Officially Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
i think its funny that people think girardi will just take a seat and sit on LTIR for the rest of his career......
even if he did it still screws us in the offseason... youd effectively take away the fact you can go 10% over in the offseason. flyers had the same problem with pronger on LTIR. you cant just pretend someones injuried and solve all your problems. and id fully expect girardi to fight back against being put on LTIR when hes healthy

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
i think its funny that people think girardi will just take a seat and sit on LTIR for the rest of his career......
even if he did it still screws us in the offseason... youd effectively take away the fact you can go 10% over in the offseason. flyers had the same problem with pronger on LTIR. you cant just pretend someones injuried and solve all your problems. and id fully expect girardi to fight back against being put on LTIR when hes healthy

Have the Rangers ever gone over the cap during the off season in the 10 years since it has been in place?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Every offseason Redden was under contract and planned to be buried during the year.

but is that over the 10% were allowed to go over the cap in the offseason?
the way i understand it is theres a cap in the offseason too but its just 10% higher than the regular season cap to allow for flexibility

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
They're probably going over every solution and how it fits into their plan.

Just straight up buying him out without more to the plan is a waste.

I'm sure they're contemplating every option, but if they have to protect him in expansion (because the damn answer to that changes daily), they should just do it. They won't have to protect him, they'll save cap space in the short term, and the long term isn't as horrendous as some make it out to be

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
but is that over the 10% were allowed to go over the cap in the offseason?
the way i understand it is theres a cap in the offseason too but its just 10% higher than the regular season cap to allow for flexibility

Nobody is allowed to go over that 10%. The Flyers didn't have Pronger on LTIR in the offseason because LTIR doesn't exist in the offseason. The league would not approve a trade or contract that would put a team over the 10%.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm sure they're contemplating every option, but if they have to protect him in expansion (because the damn answer to that changes daily), they should just do it. They won't have to protect him, they'll save cap space in the short term, and the long term isn't as horrendous as some make it out to be

I'm sure they know all this. They wouldn't be in the FO of an NHL team if they didn't.

Believe it or not, Gorton & Co. actually know a thing or two about managing a hockey team. They probably know more than us.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So in 2 days we could have lost(possible chances to get)
Barrie
Honka
I heard stammer signed not sure if that's true...

And what did we do during this time? Resign Chris ****ing summers

Edit: forgot change to get TT

lol.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
For those folks in the camp of tearing everything down for a full rebuild, thoughts (just thoughts) on trading Lundqvist to Toronto for the 1st OA?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I think everyone but Nevesis would make that trade. :laugh: Toronto wouldn't.

Ha.
So much trade talk lately and just wondering what it would really take to signal a full rebuild. Rangers definitely have a lot of chips they can use to improve for the long term. If there was an offseason where a decision whether to take a step back to take a big step forward, this is it. Its coming to a point where they have to decide to unload and improve for the future or continue to band-aid this roster in the hopes of winning it all... and their running out prospects and picks to do it. Something has to give.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
For those folks in the camp of tearing everything down for a full rebuild, thoughts (just thoughts) on trading Lundqvist to Toronto for the 1st OA?

Will never happen so no point to think about it

I'm for the San Jose model . This team has most of the same pieces that made it far so retool . The goal should be to move Nash and staal contracts

They are screwed on girardi so just let him play another year . I bet the league allows more buyouts before expansion

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
$72.8M.

Without the 5%,the cap is dropping by $2M. With the 5%,the cap increases by $1M. That's the $3M.

Lousy Canadian dollar. No Canadian teams in the playoffs. No big market American teams past the 1st round.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Will never happen so no point to think about it

I'm for the San Jose model . This team has most of the same pieces that made it far so retool . The goal should be to move Nash and staal contracts

They are screwed on girardi so just let him play another year . I bet the league allows more buyouts before expansion

I hear you. Again, just wondering what would constitute a rebuild in some folks' eyes around here.
I think you can argue that the Rangers have been using the San Jose model... competitive team every year but falling short in the end while keeping most of the same pieces. Agreed on Nash and Staal but not sure how easy it will be to move Staal.
A lot is up in the air... expansion draft rules, salary cap number, draft. Should be an interesting offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad