Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Here's a live look at Jim Sullivan in his office (lol, like they gave him an office)

hair-pulling_3261885b.jpg

Leslie did mention that we moved Hags even though our analytics guys said not to :sarcasm:

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
It makes zero sense. Locked up for his prime years, plays all situations, great two way game and great PKer, productive at 1st line level, alternate captain. He's only 26!

He should be 100% off the table.

His no trade clause is not in effect, his cap hit is 6.5M, and Stamkos is looking like he may hit the market.

So while I totally agree with you Stepan should not even be remotely on the table, Rangers are the Rangers.

Similar to Nash, moving him now unless he has a degenerative injury makes less sense than moving him at either of the next two trade deadlines when teams are handing out picks and good prospects for guys like Eric Staal, MSL, Yandle, Ladd

With that said if they are moving these players as a means to really blow this whole thing up and are going to garner as many picks and prospects back in the process, and they will be patient with the multi year process, it's a little different. But that is so far off my radar as to what I think they'll do I have not really contemplated it.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
There are many worse airports to be in (this coming from someone that flew out of there every Monday and back home there every Friday).

It was Russell for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock and round 2 pick in the 2016 draft

Lol I just hate this airport... I always seemed to caught up here forever but I fly through laguardia jfk And Logan(Boston)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If we aren't getting a Jordan Staalpackage or a high level D, he shouldn't be traded. I don't see why he couldn't bring that back, he's better than Jordan.

The catch is Staal's age and upside. Stepan is what he is for the most part, but Staal had a big year in the absence of Crosby right before he was dealt. I bet Carolina thought he was turning into the big #1C a lot of people projected him to be.

Hanzal, Fischer and #7 is something I would chew on from Arizona. Then turn around and see if I could get a defender for Hanzal. #7 is a position that could pay off very well for the Rangers. Could move up to swap with Edmonton (to get a D) or possibly Columbus (so they can move down for Brown), or could move back to let a team leap-frog Buffalo to get the defender they want and get whoever sides down the board. I think that pick is probably the most valuable pick in terms of flexibility.

Gotta say, the idea of the Rangers drafting an elite talent is pretty enticing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So, I listened to the podcast Pierre did and it's a little scary. It's moving a player and eating half his salary to get back 2 second round picks.

"One team that is prepared to trade an established player, and eat half of his money, just to get some draft picks into their stable because they've been moving their draft picks around a lot so they could try and establish a team that could compete for the cup."

Here's the podcast:
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200-1.511175

Starts at 14 minutes.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So, I listened to the podcast Pierre did and it's a little scary. It's moving a player and eating half his salary to get back 2 second round picks.

That better be one of the wonder twins...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
O god no... If we're eating half the cap it better be Nash.. That's only be 2 years. If your eating half of girardis cap u might as well buy him out itd be cheaper for us

But if it's for something that actually has value like 2 2nds, it's probably worth it.

I'd hope so, but jesus that's a lot of dead money for an awfully long time.

I think the idea of having to protect M. Staal in the exp. draft might force this deal (if it were to be) to get done.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
What would we have to add to get back Strome+7OA for Step. If Step goes I want a PREMIUM package, not a fair value deal.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd hope so, but jesus that's a lot of dead money for an awfully long time.

Definitely not something that is appealing, but if it's the only retention made for at least this offseason, I'd be willing to bite the bullet.

Maybe they use the money from Stepan to re-sign Yandle?

Depends on the return. If we get back only picks and prospects, then sure. But if we get back a roster player...

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
I've been away without internet since Thursday. Is it possible to get a cliff notes version of any new news that has happened in the past few days? Looking at the last couple pages, I'm seeing some topics that I wasn't expecting to. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad