Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah that might make sense. Though I'd be surprised if Staal waived for LA.

Why not? LA is a contender, it's a great city (comparable to new york in fact), and it's a coach who has wanted him for a long time.

He'll fit in well with their heavy boardplay game that Sutter has implemented.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm amazed at the number of people who are okay with retaining half of Staal's salary for the next 5 years.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm amazed at the number of people who are okay with retaining half of Staal's salary for the next 5 years.

how else do you get out of that contract? He's not a fit on this team, and we already have Girardi who is a major problem.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I hope it's Staal we trade, if only for the fact it will set the main boards on fire as everyone tries to re-unite all the Staals.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm not overly enthused with it but if it returns something of value, I would be open to it.

I wonder if a team like LA would consider a player like Girardi at half his salary for the remaining years. They traded fro Scuderi at the deadline. Added Luke Schenn. Girardi is better than both of those guys.

I know that may be hard to believe but Girardi at 2.75 may have some value knowing he had a bad year due to injuries last year. He's not meant for a puck moving style but LA doesn't play that style anyways.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm not overly enthused with it but if it returns something of value, I would be open to it.

I wonder if a team like LA would consider a player like Girardi at half his salary for the remaining years. They traded fro Scuderi at the deadline. Added Luke Schenn. Girardi is better than both of those guys.

I know that may be hard to believe but Girardi at 2.75 may have some value knowing he had a bad year due to injuries last year. He's not meant for a puck moving style but LA doesn't play that style anyways.

Unless Girardi is directly replacing Schenn, I don't see it. I see Staal as a better for to play with Doughty, and knocking Scuderi into the 7th d position.

http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/26/los-angeles-kings

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Question: Can you retain salary for 5 years? I thought there was a time limit on salary retention on any one traded player.

There is a limit to how many contracts you can retain on at one time on your roster, which is 3.

Meaning we could retain on all of Staal, Girardi, and Nash, but no more. Retention is valid for as many years as the contract

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Apparently there's something to the Letunov thing where Arizona owed Philly a pick:

San Jose wins in a landslide.

Three things that are important for context:

1. That 2016 4th is now transferred to Philly, allowing AZ to keep their '17 3rd
1A. For Arizona this means they effectively dealt Letunov and a 6th for two 3rds.

2. If Arizona traded Letunov (who's clearly a better asset than two 3rds) and had to add a 6th rounder to get a bite, it's probably because he's not interested in signing in Arizona and may opt to go the free-agent or Europe route, regardless. I suspect Arizona was not an option for him, and San Jose is making a little bit of a gamble, hoping they can convince him to sign with them.

3. Arizona acquired this player for Zbynek Michalek two deadlines ago. Michalek re-signed in Arizona a few months later. Letunov was basically a freebie for the Coyotes anyway.

So while San Jose is the winner here, Arizona isn't really the loser. One team won and the other broke even.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Guys who jumped in late. Part of the rumor is the team the significant player is rumored to be going to has multiple 2nd round picks to trade. coyotes, flames, canadiens, flyers, penguins, lightning, leafs, only teams that have 2 2nd rounders.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Pat Leonard weighing in again:

Then he tweets that Step is a 1B while Brass is a 2A center

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
After listening to the podcast bc TJrjx brought up some of the details Mcquirre mentioned. I dont really think he was talking the rangers. He said about the team having moved around a lot of draft picks in order to establish a team that could compete for a cup. The rangers were established and competing. The kings on the other hand missed the playoffs the year before and were trying to establish a team that could compete again. Maybe its the kings and gaborik or brown.

I dont see the rangers retaining 50% on nash for a package including two 2nds, I dont see them retaining 50% on staal for the entirety of his contract, and I dont see anyone giving up two 2nds for Girardi. The details make me think its not the rangers after all.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
even if you trade him, youd have to take salary back, so it's not like you can simply move a $5.7M contract without taking anything abck

Of course we would have to take salary back, but there's a big difference between taking back a player who may be cheaper and/or have less years remaining on their contract, and retaining half his salary.

If we retain, we are stuck with that cap hit. If we take back a bad contract, we can still trade that player, buy him out, or wait for the contract to run out if it isn't too long. We could send that player to the AHL and save 950k that can be used for someone else.

The player we get back might be able to contribute in some small way, whereas dead cap space is completely useless. There are plenty of bad contracts out there and I'm sure there's someone who would be willing to swap. Even if we have to grease the wheels a little bit, that's still better than 2.85 mil in dead cap space for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad