Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Of course we would have to take salary back, but there's a big difference between taking back a player who may be cheaper and/or have less years remaining on their contract, and retaining half his salary.

If we retain, we are stuck with that cap hit. If we take back a bad contract, we can still trade that player, buy him out, or wait for the contract to run out if it isn't too long. We could send that player to the AHL and save 950k that can be used for someone else.

The player we get back might be able to contribute in some small way, whereas dead cap space is completely useless. There are plenty of bad contracts out there and I'm sure there's someone who would be willing to swap. Even if we have to grease the wheels a little bit, that's still better than 2.85 mil in dead cap space for 5 years.

This isn't 100% Staal. It could be Girardi or Nash as well.

If the Kings traded back a player who was ready for the NHL and on his ELC you could replace Staal with a small salaried player for at least the first 3-4 years

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

If the Kings traded back a player who was ready for the NHL and on his ELC you could replace Staal with a small salaried player for at least the first 3-4 years

Yes, it could be Girardi or Nash. I'm just arguing against retaining 50% on Staal.

Trading Girardi at 50% wouldn't be as bad, obviously--better than a buyout--though I'd still prefer to trade him for a less bad contract. And I'm completely fine with retaining 50% on Nash, since it would only be for 2 years.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011

again guys. part of the rumor is the return including multiple 2nd round picks. the kings dont have 2 2nds. Only 7 teams do.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
again guys. part of the rumor is the return including multiple 2nd round picks. the kings dont have 2 2nds. Only 7 teams do.

He never stated that it was (2) 2nd's in 2016. The Rangers also do not have a 2017 2nd after the Staal trade so getting a 2nd '16 + 2nd '17 would make some sense so that they could recoup those picks.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
What number for Stamkos would make everyone here sick? $10M and I am livid. $9M I guess I could live with. Think he'll wind up getting $10.3 or so.

I won't front, obviously I'd be very excited to see Stamkos don the Blueshirt, but I have a hard time envisioning any realistic scenario where I think we'll be better off with him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why not? LA is a contender, it's a great city (comparable to new york in fact), and it's a coach who has wanted him for a long time.

He'll fit in well with their heavy boardplay game that Sutter has implemented.
The only comparable between LA and NYC is that LA is the complete opposite.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What number for Stamkos would make everyone here sick? $10M and I am livid. $9M I guess I could live with. Think he'll wind up getting $10.3 or so.

I won't front, obviously I'd be very excited to see Stamkos don the Blueshirt, but I have a hard time envisioning any realistic scenario where I think we'll be better off with him.

Anything over 10m for me is too much

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Over 10M. 10.5M really.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
You'd be fine giving him $10M?

My $9M figure was a begrudging offer, but if we're in the mix late in the process you'll possibly see me on here saying **** it go $9.5-10.

For me it is less about the cap space and more about the probablility he stays health and continues to produce a very high rate. I think he would be an excellent player with Zucc. Rekindle that MSL, play with a playmaker type magic.

No matter what his cap hit is, it's going to be too much. He never seemed like a player that can carry a team like Kane or Ovie. Should a 10M player do that? Well, yes, but he does have a world class shot. He just can't create space like Ovie can but with someone with vision like Zucc or Buch I think he can be very successful.

We are the Rangers with Hank - drafting a world class talent isn't in the cards and likely won't be for almost another decade. You have to overpay for talent in FA. The idea would be pay Hank and stammer big bucks - can you supplement enough pieces to win a cup?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Matthew Tkachuk?

Jesse Puljujärvi at 3 for sure. For pure ain't gonna happen speculation, turning Stepan into Jesse Puljujärvi, Hartnell, Fischer, and maybe another piece? Not a bad haul, IMO. Certainly adds quite a bit of size to the pool and roster.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
what number for stamkos would make everyone here sick? $10m and i am livid. $9m i guess i could live with. Think he'll wind up getting $10.3 or so.

I won't front, obviously i'd be very excited to see stamkos don the blueshirt, but i have a hard time envisioning any realistic scenario where i think we'll be better off with him.
1-∞.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Making a play for Stamkos is exactly what you would expect the Rangers to do. And that's why it's the wrong move. Would he be a nice addition? Absolutely. But then we'll be back to where we started with cap problems and still have more than a few holes to fill. So what's the point other than to market another star player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad