Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
McD > Yandle > Staal

3rd guy on the depth chart and anyone who was watching had to be less than impressed and calling him a "top 4 D" at this point is questionable.

I'm was a Staal guy, have a Staal jersey, etc... but he's probably a lot more significant to Rangers fans than he is to anyone else.

We talking Lebrun or Mcguire? I could see Mcguire calling Staal significant. Lebrun? Hrmm.

It was McGuire.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can't imagine the Rangers are trading Nash for just 2 seconds AND retaining half his Salary. The Rangers would be better off holding him until the deadline.

Like I said, would anyone consider (2) 2nd's + very good young player? I didn't hear Pierre say only (2) 2nd's

In whose eyes? Pierre still talks about Marc Staal like he is a top defenseman in the league. I think this could easily be Staal.

I agree, it sounds like Staal.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
We should throw a party if Staal gets traded and he brings back two seconds. It probably isn't going to happen but I hope it does with all my heart

Pls Gorton

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What about Kevin Klein? Eat half his salary to a team with little cap space. (2) 2nd's would make some sense

we can only eat salary on 3 contracts at one time.

Assuming we eat on Nash, then probably Staal, I can't see them eating on Klein's too.. THat would put us on the max--if they get a throwaway player like Hanzal, you want room to retain on him so you can extract a 1st rounder at the deadline for him

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kevin Klein might actually be the last player on this team I retain salary on.

While I agree there may be little point, if that is what it takes to get back a better prospect (again I didn't hear Pierre say it was only (2) 2nd's) then it may be worthwhile. 1.45m in dead cap space for 2 years isn't much if it gets you the player you want.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We should throw a party if Staal gets traded and he brings back two seconds. It probably isn't going to happen but I hope it does with all my heart

Pls Gorton

this absolutely could happen.

I'd be happier if it was a 1st and a 2nd instead of 2 seconds.

Staal in his current state is worth a 2nd rounder. Staal with 25% retained should cost another 2nd rounder. Staal with 50% retained should net furthermore a 1st rounder/prospect

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kevin Weekes ‏@KevinWeekes 38m38 minutes ago
Don't let the quiet fool you @NHL Fans,plenty of moves are imminent.
What potential ones are you excited for tho ? @NHLNetwork

Weekes is someone who is legitimately tied in

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Here's a live look at Jim Sullivan in his office (lol, like they gave him an office)

hair-pulling_3261885b.jpg

wait i thought the rangers didn't do #fancystats? or do people just feel they do them poorly lol

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
What team has two seconds that could use Marc Staal though? Maybe the picks aren't both for this year.

I keep going back to LA. They're in the market for a top 4 D-man. Lombardi has coveted Staal in the past. They aren't re-signing Lucic so they can have the space for a top 4 D-man. If they could get Staal at half his salary, I'd think they'd jump at it, since they also are still considered a Cup contender. I'll take 2nds in each of the next two years for Staal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
we can only eat salary on 3 contracts at one time.

Assuming we eat on Nash, then probably Staal, I can't see them eating on Klein's too.. THat would put us on the max--if they get a throwaway player like Hanzal, you want room to retain on him so you can extract a 1st rounder at the deadline for him

I'm not sure what the landscape is showing currently. For all we know, they aren't moving Nash as the offers suck and Staal won't waive his NTC.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I keep going back to LA. They're in the market for a top 4 D-man. Lombardi has coveted Staal in the past. They aren't re-signing Lucic so they can have the space for a top 4 D-man. If they could get Staal at half his salary, I'd think they'd jump at it, since they also are still considered a Cup contender. I'll take 2nds in each of the next two years for Staal.

That would make some sense. Is Vinny retiring? If so, they may be in the market for his brother

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I'd do this as well. If it's LA, I want some more pieces coming back though. a 2nd + 3rd + Kempe, especially if Staal is half retained.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
lots of thoughts and opinions on trading stepan, but surprised that no one has taken the angle of maybe they aren't going for the quick fix and trying to win next year. and are looking to make deals for guys like stepan and nash to turn 1 asset into 3 assets, knowing it might be a step back next year but the right move in the long run.

everyone is just assuming it will be business as usual, win now at any cost so we must be after stamkos

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That would make some sense. Is Vinny retiring? If so, they may be in the market for his brother

LeCavlier? Yes, he promised he would retire at the end of the year and forfeit the remaining $ on his contract.

Why can't Girardi do this for us? :cry:

Speaking of Girardi, if we're retaining half on Staal, that proposed Girardi Buyout becomes a serious freaking problem. You'd better pray Vegas snatches him up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think that part of the reason the Rangers ddin't go hard after too many UDFA's with all of these contract slots open is because they know they may be adding some players via trades in 2 or 3 for 1 deals

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
LeCavlier? Yes, he promised he would retire at the end of the year and forfeit the remaining $ on his contract.

Why can't Girardi do this for us? :cry:

Speaking of Girardi, if we're retaining half on Staal, that proposed Girardi Buyout becomes a serious freaking problem. You'd better pray Vegas snatches him up.

I thought so. So they need a 3rd line center if I am understanding this correctly. Eric Staal at a smaller salary may be a shrewd move for LA.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
lots of thoughts and opinions on trading stepan, but surprised that no one has taken the angle of maybe they aren't going for the quick fix and trying to win next year. and are looking to make deals for guys like stepan and nash to turn 1 asset into 3 assets, knowing it might be a step back next year but the right move in the long run.

everyone is just assuming it will be business as usual, win now at any cost so we must be after stamkos

I don't think they're going the quick fix route. They need an entire season to fix this team -- that includes this offseason, this season (to evaluate players), and this coming trade deadline to unload any players on 1 year deals (which they should be signing a **** ton of) to manufacture picks out of $

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I thought so. So they need a 3rd line center if I am understanding this correctly. Eric Staal at a smaller salary may be a shrewd move for LA.

Yes it would, that's a really good point. E. Staal at $2M would be like Chicago signing Brad Richards after we bought him out.

Staal at $2.85M is a fantastic deal for any team

LA definitely seems like a team that wants to reload and go--which is kind of what we did in the 2014 offseason... reloaded with some quick fixes and went at it again after losing in the cup final the prior year.

The Rangers are one year past that, hence this talk of a retool.

Just goes to show you reload (2016-17 LA Kings), retool (2015-16 Sharks, 2016-17 Rangers), and rebuild (2014-now Maples Leafs) are all in fact different

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Not everyone here thinks it would be business as usual. I don't see Stamkos as a target even if Stepan was to be dealt.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Yeah that might make sense. Though I'd be surprised if Staal waived for LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad