Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
While we do not necessarily see Staal as a significant piece, people like McGuire and much of the Toronto media likely still view him as such. Being the paranoid fanbase that we are, the worst-case is our default.

Staal would be considered a significant piece. I was just saying I dont think they are moving Staal out.

Although to me, thats the biggest wild-card, is if Gorton decides to move Staal to resign Yandle. I dont think thats the way they are gonna go, but theres another part of me that could definitely see that.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Montreal has two 2nd's this year and has been rumored to be looking for help on the wings. Nash could be a fit there. Two 2nd's and a good prospect (Juulsen, Scherbak, or McCarron) wouldn't be the worst thing if the Rangers can clear his full contract. Or they could take back Desharnais or Eller to fill in for Stepan while they try and figure out what direction to go.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If Nash gets traded for two 2nd round picks I'm starting a fire Gorton thread.

Montreal has two 2nd's this year and has been rumored to be looking for help on the wings. Nash could be a fit there. Two 2nd's and a good prospect (Juulsen, Scherbak, or McCarron) wouldn't be the worst thing if the Rangers can clear his full contract. Or they could take back Desharnais or Eller to fill in for Stepan while they try and figure out what direction to go.

That's about where I'd be fine with in a Nash trade (starting at two 2nds) if we weren't retaining salary.

If we retain salary though, I think Nash brings a 1st back.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Someone asked many pages back if we would be okay collecting 2017 picks in lieu of 2016. I have often thought about that. Would teams be more willing to trade a 2nd '17 vs a 3rd '16? If so, why don't more teams accept that deal? It may 'hurt' at the beginning when the pick is a year away but as you move forward, you will be getting better value.

For example:

If Detroit likes Nash:

Smith + Sproul + DET 1st '17

vs

Smith + Sproul + DET 2nd '16

It may not be as 'sexy' right now but that future 1st should be a better player than the 2nd this year
I have said this before but I will repeat it again. I wouldn't be surprised if our beloved Rangers who are to be traded might happen after the draft or opening of free agency due to the fact that our guys would be second or third choices if teams lose out on particular players. With that being said, Rangers could possibly load up for the 2017 draft just as well.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
After a little research, here are my 4 teams that Lebrun might be talking about:

NYR (no 1st or 2nd)
SJ (no 1st or 3rd)
LA (no 1st or 3rd)
Pit (no 1st or 3rd)

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
It makes zero sense. Locked up for his prime years, plays all situations, great two way game and great PKer, productive at 1st line level, alternate captain. He's only 26!

He should be 100% off the table.

I just really want to know why he seems to be the 1st to go.

He's the 2nd player I'd keep around if we were to rebuild.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I would hope because Gorton possibly has an offer for a Kings ransom for Stepan. I have no problem trading him if the offer is correct. I would prefer to trade Brassard instead of they are trying to recoup but that is a different story.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Same, right behind Glass.

There's too much smoke for there not to be fire, and I really don't get it.

Brassard can't play in Stepan's situations.

If the FO's off-season is truly to move Stepan to make room for Stamkos, then... I... I really don't know.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Same, right behind Glass.

There's too much smoke for there not to be fire, and I really don't get it.

Brassard can't play in Stepan's situations.

If the FO's off-season is truly to move Stepan to make room for Stamkos, then... I... I really don't know.

My fandom would be severely tested.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Because outside of McDonagh, he probably gets the biggest return of any player in the organization. If they want to rapidly replenish the pool and shake up the team, he's the perfect fit.

Now, do I want to move him? No, but I would if the return knocked my socks off.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm in the Atlanta airport rn.. You can't just tell me what they costed??

Dallas gave up Jokipakka, a forward prospect and 2nd that was a conditional 1st.

The Sharks gave up Raffi Torres (cap measures) a 2017 2nd and a 2018 2nd for Polak and Spaling. Staal brings back at least 2nd.

I could see the Kings being a landing place for Staal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Here's a live look at Jim Sullivan in his office (lol, like they gave him an office)

hair-pulling_3261885b.jpg

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Because outside of McDonagh, he probably gets the biggest return of any player in the organization. If they want to rapidly replenish the pool and shake up the team, he's the perfect fit.

If we aren't getting a Jordan Staalpackage or a high level D, he shouldn't be traded. I don't see why he couldn't bring that back, he's better than Jordan.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I would move any player if the return knocked my socks off. Now, the definition of that would vary from poster to poster. This nonsense of people thinking it is Hanzal + 2nd for Stepan? :laugh: Start with the 7th overall. Add in Hanzal and keep on going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad