Speculation: Offseason thread #2: We don't use Roman Numerals in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Anyone with their nose in analytics realizes the value of Stepan and where he ranks among his peers that most people here would consider two-way elite talent.

They need to get a big haul if they trade him. Let's see if this "green" kid from the desert can fleece Gorton.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Anyone with their nose in analytics realizes the value of Stepan and where he ranks among his peers that most people here would consider two-way elite talent.

They need to get a big haul if they trade him. Let's see if this "green" kid from the desert can fleece Gorton.

I'm assuming it's a combination of both my trust in analytics and my distrust for the Rangers FO in assuming if there is a deal between NYR/ARI, the Rangers will be on the losing end.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
There have been rumors going around about a Nash train being imminent. He might also bring back two 2nd rounders + (depending on retention and whatnot)

Im hoping its Nash. I dont want to move Stepan period, and Id want a heck of a lot more for Brassard. If it is Stepan/Brassard there will be more coming, HFBOARDS, dont jump the gun.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Where does it sound like this? I haven't seen anything credible anywhere saying much of anything about the Rangers other than they're doing a lot of talking.

I meant that in regards to Pierres quote, my bad. Not that the Rangers are legitimately going to do it (though they might, who knows).

I meant that the Rangers fit the bill for what he was saying (could trade significant player for at least two 2nd round picks).

I guess I originally worded it poorly, and it looked like the Rangers were definitively going to do that move. Sorry.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nah man. Stepan is going for two seconds and a cap dump. Too much term.

:biglaugh:

What's sad is that people on the trade board legitimately believe Stepan is a cap dump. A 26 year old 1c who plays all situations and averages 62 point pace his last 4 seasons. People act like 6.5m is a ridiculously high contract for him and we probably won't get much back.

I can't tell if it's just them hating on the Rangers or if they actually believe that.

Stepan is faily paid and is incredibly important to the Rangers. He's not getting traded for the 20th overall and a C level prospect. If he gets moved it's going to be a big return.

I still hope he don't move him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm scared. I would want a 1st rounder in a package for any of our major core players that are rumored to be on the block. Two 2nd rounders isn't going to cut it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I'm assuming it's a combination of both my trust in analytics and my distrust for the Rangers FO in assuming if there is a deal between NYR/ARI, the Rangers will be on the losing end.

I'm definitely not optimistic but willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the first big roster move.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

There is no doubt in my mind even without and use of stats whatsoever, or really even putting much thinking into it other than knowing the Rangers standard operating procedure, that the Rangers will be on the losing end of a Stepan trade.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Where does it sound like this? I haven't seen anything credible anywhere saying much of anything about the Rangers other than they're doing a lot of talking.

"Pierre McGuire on TSN 1200 and he said there is a team out there that could be making a deal today to send out a significant player in return to get recoup some draft picks they have been dealing away the past few years trying to compete. He said it would be a team with 2nd rounders this year sending those the other way for the significant player."

Thats the bit that makes it sound like the Rangers

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida

It'll look good for a couple weeks but well hate it in the end... Same as yandle deal

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Tippet has final say so that means the kid has no say? If thry're after Stepan this kid is involved heavily.

No, why would you say it means the kid has no say. That's not what I have said. Why even go to that extreme?

And you dont need to be an analytics guy to go after stepan. Stepan passes the eye test.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Agreed and I am pro Nash trade. That is "just keep him" level.

Agreed or a different team. Still gonna place my bet on Shaw.

There would be more. a prospect or young roster player. Coyotes taking nash's 7.8 million without retention is valuable to the rangers as well.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
While we do not necessarily see Staal as a significant piece, people like McGuire and much of the Toronto media likely still view him as such. Being the paranoid fanbase that we are, the worst-case is our default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad