Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread 3 - No draft trades? We're all gonna die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
2 things. 1, I'm confused about what Vegas is doing, pretty much with every move they make. And 2, it'd be ****** of Francis to sign guys to contracts and then trade them. We did it with Hossa. It's a crap move. Hopefully the guys would know it before they signed their names?

Well PDG makes sense in that case, as we haven't signed him, just qualified him.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
i don't get the automatic including if Neal at every chance. Not a good fit for price or term. Keeping him will be really expensive when we said we need the talent at center. We don't have a good playmaker for him to play with.

Me neither. Have no clue why some are obsessed with getting him.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
This is confusing. Jooris seemed like a decent signing for 4C. Kruger made sense if 1) we didn't have a 4C and 2) we were helping Chicago out, Kruger + a 2nd rounder for a 5th rounder, or whatever.

Now it just seems, meh. Yeah, he's an upgrade over Jooris or Ryan, but still, if we aren't getting him basically for free I don't see the point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It feels like Kruger is some sort of plan B to not getting Duchene. Unless this was happening the whole time. If it was, why Jooris?

I'm hoping there's more moves at play here.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Jooris is a waiver fodder level player. I don't think anyone, even Francis, penciled him in as anything other than the 13th forward.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Kruger ahead of Ryan offensively? Not seeing that. Kruger is a fourth line guy, and Ryan doesn't play that game at all. Ryan doubled Kruger's offense in his first season of NHL, and Kruger has never had more than 9 goals in a season.

JustJoe2k5

Jun 5, 2006
Funny to see some on Twitter speculate that the potential Kruger acquisition makes Staal available for the Penguins to re-acquire.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kruger is the best 4th line C in the league. Adding him would make Carolinas defensive game even better.

But the thing with Kruger is he has to be a 4th line C, he doesn't have the offensive skill to roll 3 scoring lines if he's the #3C.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Chicago just paid 2m worth of bonus on July 1, so it's 1.475m this year and 2.3m next. Still, I'm assuming the cost will be next nothing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Kruger is the best 4th line C in the league. Adding him would make Carolinas defensive game even better.

But the thing with Kruger is he has to be a 4th line C, he doesn't have the offensive skill to roll 3 scoring lines if he's the #3C.

Especially if we can get him at ~1.6 after Vegas retains, which I can see happening as Vegas is at only 1 retention slot used, for a player that's a UFA after the season. If people thought our PK was good last season it would be potentially legendary level elite like it was before the Stalberg and Hainsey trades.

Nordy - Krueger
Slavin - Pesce

Jordan - Williams
Hanifin/Fleury - Faulk

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Especially if we can get him at ~1.6 after Vegas retains, which I can see happening as Vegas is at only 1 retention slot used, for a player that's a UFA after the season. If people thought our PK was good last season it would be potentially legendary level elite like it was before the Stalberg and Hainsey trades.

Nordy - Krueger
Slavin - Pesce

Jordan - Williams
Hanifin/Fleury - Faulk

The defensive game is going to be incredible.

Really hoping Carolina is one of the Metro teams that make it next year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Nordy - Krueger
Slavin - Pesce

Jordan - Williams
Hanifin/Fleury - Faulk

I doubt Williams is going to kill penalties. Lindholm was a very good PK option last year.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You're probably not wrong about that, I just remember him being borderline elite at it his first go-around here.

He was also 25 then not 35. I imagine he could if necessary but I think he's going to be more valuable on the PP and ES to eat his 15-16 minutes a night.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"Probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but Kruger was paid a 2 million dollar bonus by Chicago on July 1st. So in terms of actual dollars that Carolina would be picking up:

2017-18: 1.475 million
2018-19: 2.3 million

That's relatively cheap for a potential #3 center with plenty of NHL experience."

This was posted on the main thread by "Brodeur".

Does Vegas still need to retain?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
"Probably mentioned earlier in the thread, but Kruger was paid a 2 million dollar bonus by Chicago on July 1st. So in terms of actual dollars that Carolina would be picking up:

2017-18: 1.475 million
2018-19: 2.3 million

That's relatively cheap for a potential #3 center with plenty of NHL experience."

This was posted on the main thread by "Brodeur".

Does Vegas still need to retain?

They do because why else would they flip him immediately. The Canes would've just dealt directly with Chicago and cut Vegas out of it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They do because why else would they flip him immediately. The Canes would've just dealt directly with Chicago and cut Vegas out of it.

Weren't there rumours they had done this trade ages ago as part of Vegas getting TVR?

But I don't know, that money doesn't seem bad for the best 4th line C in the league.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Weren't there rumours they had done this trade ages ago as part of Vegas getting TVR?

But I don't know, that money doesn't seem bad for the best 4th line C in the league.

The money isn't bad at all, but there's no reason for a middleman if there's no retention invlolved at all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The money isn't bad at all, but there's no reason for a middleman if there's no retention invlolved at all.

But again what if was due to the expansion draft, and the rumoured deal that Vegas takes Kruger and gets TVR. But they had to wait untill Kruger gets his bonus on July 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad