Official tank thread and tanking GDT #12 (Sabres @ Stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Huge loss tonight. But still nervous about this Arizona series. Murray better be in Nolan's ear. Points are entirely unacceptable at this point.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
ARIZONA 1-8-1 in last 10

BUFFALO 1-7-2 in last 10

I think based on our remaining schedule we will pick up 8 points in our remaining 9 games. So Arizona would need to get 2 against us and find 3 more somewhere.
You keep saying this **** and changing your numbers after every game.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
How about a 2-6-1 finish with the 1 OTL game being against the Coyotes. Would give us both 52 points, but we stay 30th due to tiebreaker! :naughty:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
This team... was watching on DVR delay. When the sabres went up 3-2 I gave up and checked the final on NHL.com. was totally not expecting to see a regulation LOSS! Holy ****...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Go watch a game from last year's Ron Rolston era to Ted Nolan, despite SAT it's not even remotely close. I was watching a big of the LA game from a couple years ago and it was laughable the chances we gave up.

Tonight we gave up 101 attempts, how many actually had a chance?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Go watch a game from last year's Ron Rolston era to Ted Nolan, despite SAT it's not even remotely close. I was watching a big of the LA game from a couple years ago and it was laughable the chances we gave up.

Tonight we gave up 101 attempts, how many actually had a chance?

Go look at Ron Rolston team last year ... and look at Ted Nolans team earlier in the year... Same ****ing thing.

ZeroPT*

Go look at Ron Rolston team last year ... and look at Ted Nolans team earlier in the year... Same ****ing thing.

This. The team at the beginning of the year was a special kind if bad.

That all changed once the abomination that was both Hodgson and Ennis at C ended.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I'm as worried as most of you, but I don't think we sweep Arizona. Let's say we win in regulation at home and lose in OT away. Yes, we pick up three, but they gain two. With Edmonton almost out of the race, I'd take that. It's not ideal, it's still nerve wrecking since we've got Toronto left too, but...

This is way worse than a run for playoffs or a tight playoff series.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
As of 3/24| BUF | EDM | ARI
Games Played | 73 | 73 | 73 |
Games Remaining | 9 | 9 | 9 |
Points | 47 | 53 | 50 |
McEichel Number | | 13 | 16 |
% of finishing 30th | 79 | 2 | 19 |

Convenient Link w/schedule for all 3 teams: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3QhNNqbpofBFS_dVd-4/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

pubchart

Games Tonight:
Arizona @ Detroit, 7:30 PM EDT (FS-A,FS-D)

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
As of 3/24| BUF | EDM | ARI
Games Played | 73 | 73 | 73 |
Games Remaining | 9 | 9 | 9 |
Points | 47 | 53 | 50 |
McEichel Number | | 13 | 16 |
% of finishing 30th | 79 | 2 | 19 |

Convenient Link w/schedule for all 3 teams: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...3QhNNqbpofBFS_dVd-4/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

pubchart

Games Tonight:
Arizona @ Detroit, 7:30 PM EDT (FS-A,FS-D)

Looking at the graph, it seems that as we get closer to the end of the season, each individual game result is causing slightly greater and greater swings in the odds.

Even though the results have consisted of BUF and ARI essentially "holding serve."

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Thank you LINDY. Tonight was the best thing you have ever done for the franchise. Was sick to my stomach when it was 3-2 and stopped checking the score. Just checked it two minutes ago and seeing 4-3 Dallas in regulation has me smiling ear to ear. 9 more to go. Please just lose out and all in regulation please.

Your hyperbole never disappoints!

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Looking at the graph, it seems that as we get closer to the end of the season, each individual game result is causing slightly greater and greater swings in the odds.

Even though the results have consisted of BUF and ARI essentially "holding serve."

Reasons for this:
1) Each game becomes more important the less of them.
2) The race for 30th becoming a 2 horse race. Less variables.
3) Certain teams play on the same night, resulting in larger swings on certain days compared to others.

mattcc97

Feb 6, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I'm already feeling some serious anxiety about the game Thursday. It would be a huge relief if Arizona could pick up a point in Detroit tonight.

I legitimately could see myself having health problems at the Coyotes game.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Looking at our respective schedules, I still feel quite pessimistic. Other than us, they don't have a single winnable game, whereas we have Toronto, Carolina, Columbus. And yesterday we were extremely lucky. I expect the three points headstart gone as soon as the end of the Arizona series since we usually do very well against them.

Their only win against us during the last 6 seasons came in 2011/2012 when it was the only game between the two teams.

We swept them last year (2), 2010/11 (1), 2009/10 (2), 2008/09 (2 games). Granted, the sample size isn't exactly big, but last season we were already terrible, yet still beat them twice.
Yesterday's loss only prolonged the suffering, I'm afraid.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Looking at our respective schedules, I still feel quite pessimistic.

If Arizona shows a heartbeat and wins somewhere I'll feel a whole lot better, but with those schedules and the way the Sabres are sticking around in games against (clearly) superior opponents I feel that we're still going to get edged out.

It feels a little closer to realism than pessimism, but we'll see. It's not as if Arizona hasn't been in their games as well.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Looking at our respective schedules, I still feel quite pessimistic.

I do as well, but I have found one small potential silver lining. A few of their final games are against tops teams, but those teams have (or will have by then) their playoff spots locked up. As we have seen in past seasons, these teams really do rest a lot of their top players and take their foot off the gas a bit.

If I'm the Ducks (for example) there is no way I am playing Getzlaf in the final game. Let him rest up for the playoff grind, and dont risk him getting hurt in a meaningless (for them) game.

Of course, they way ARZ is playing it may not matter if they sit the whole team. They are painful to watch. They remind me of chasing my kids when they were toddlers. I made it look real good, legs pumping arms flailing, but there was no danger of me ever 'catching' them. Much like when defensemen are 'chasing' down and icing and despite their legs pumping away they just cant seem to get to the puck in time to prevent icing. Keystone cops indeed.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If they can split with AZ they'll be in good shape. They'd essentially have a 3 PT 'lead' for the remaining 7 games assuming they split.

BornBuffaloFan

Nov 30, 2014
6 points in the last 6 games would be the teams 2nd best stretch of the season.

unfortunately, coyotes twice and toronto is the easiest stretch of the season

on a bright side, we have an uncanny ability to lose to the bad teams and stay close or win against top level teams

BornBuffaloFan

Nov 30, 2014
I'm already feeling some serious anxiety about the game Thursday. It would be a huge relief if Arizona could pick up a point in Detroit tonight.

I legitimately could see myself having health problems at the Coyotes game.

Boston game is annoying me

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Boston game is annoying me

That was just one game though.

The 13 game November hot streak is what bothers me.

But I was told at the time "don't worry, it won't matter, advanced stats say Sabres are worst by a mile, by the end of the season we will be comfortably in last by a large margin."

I'm starting to think the advanced stats may not be the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad