Official tank thread and tanking GDT #12 (Sabres @ Stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What's the upside for making it so every team that misses the playoffs has a shot at #1 overall? The old system where you could only move up a certain number of spots for winning the lottery made so much more sense, people are going to riot if a team that just barely missed the playoffs somehow gets McDavid as a consolation prize.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense why the #17 team in the league should have any statistical chance at the first overall pick. Imagine the LA Kings missing the playoffs and winning the lottery. Instant dynasty.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
A 2-6-1 finish with 2 wins in regulation against Arionza means Arionza just needs 2 points in their other 7 games.

If that's how the Sabres finish and they don't get it, props to Arionza for out tanking and they deserve it.

That would mean Arionza wouldn't get 2 points in 15 straight games to end the season. That would be so impressive

If AZ finishes with less than 56 points, that will be less than 20 points in 42 games. That's 20 out of a potential 82 points. I'm too busy to look it up now, but that would rank as one of the worst "half's" of a season for a non expansion team. It's even worse when you consider the 3 point game in there.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What's the upside for making it so every team that misses the playoffs has a shot at #1 overall? The old system where you could only move up a certain number of spots for winning the lottery made so much more sense, people are going to riot if a team that just barely missed the playoffs somehow gets McDavid as a consolation prize.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense why the #17 team in the league should have any statistical chance at the first overall pick. Imagine the LA Kings missing the playoffs and winning the lottery. Instant dynasty.

Every GM is self-interested.

Every GM knows they have a better chance of being 17-25 than bottom 5.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Arizona is going to get a few wins down the stretch.

I wish I had your confidence/narcotics :help:

7d401fcfd5a777e038fb8f0f57a9d01438d8fdbaaedee874678f174e4b702457.jpg

Quick, fire Nolan, hire this guy.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If AZ finishes with less than 56 points, that will be less than 20 points in 42 games. That's 20 out of a potential 82 points. I'm too busy to look it up now, but that would rank as one of the worst "half's" of a season for a non expansion team. It's even worse when you consider the 3 point game in there.

TO go from last year to this seems a bit fishy. Who owns the team and are they moving to Vegas next year? :sarcasm:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think we'll beat Arizona in Buffalo to pull within 1 pt. We'll lose in Denver, and then the Yotes will return the favor in Arizona to go back up by 3 pts. We'll knock off the Maple Leafs to get back within 1 pt. On April 3, both teams will lose to the Hawks and Sharks. On April 4, Buffalo will lose in regulation to the Isles and the 'Yotes will take a loser point at home vs a coasting San Jose, and the lead will be back to 2 pts. We'll lose an OT thriller at home vs Carolina to move within a 1 pt heading into both teams' final game.

On Saturday, April 11, the Sabres will take Thomas Greiss and the Penguins to OT, at which point an entire city will be on suicide watch. Darius Kasparitis will skate onto the ice and score the winning goal on a wrister from above the dots. At that point, we'll have clinched 30th because we will not have passed Arizona in ROW's.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I think we'll beat Arizona in Buffalo to pull within 1 pt. We'll lose in Denver, and then the Yotes will return the favor in Arizona to go back up by 3 pts. We'll knock off the Maple Leafs to get back within 1 pt. On April 3, both teams will lose to the Hawks and Sharks. On April 4, Buffalo will lose in regulation to the Isles and the 'Yotes will take a loser point at home vs a coasting San Jose, and the lead will be back to 2 pts. We'll lose an OT thriller at home vs Carolina to move within a 1 pt heading into both teams' final game.

On Saturday, April 11, the Sabres will take Thomas Greiss and the Penguins to OT, at which point an entire city will be on suicide watch. Darius Kasparitis will skate onto the ice and score the winning goal on a wrister from above the dots. At that point, we'll have clinched 30th because we will not have passed Arizona in ROW's.

I might have a heart attack but I'll take it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Arizona and Buffalo have zero ROW's in 20 combined games since the trade deadline. Tank on! :laugh:
Impressive, most impressive. The tank is strong with these ones.
203344-darth_vader_original.jpg

That would be the most spectacular way for the yotes for fail at failing, so it'll definitely happen.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Just reading this gave me anxiety

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

I about had a heart attack just reading this.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

One of the better fan-fic's I've read on here

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

I think the changes were a combination of self-interest in this draft year, but mostly the league attempting to address the common complaint of teams stuck in bubble mode, how do you get better without ripping it apart totally.

The belief is you need top 3-5 draft talent to build with, and this gives some hope to bubble teams in theory. Not a big fan of rewarding some just missing team all the way to #1 myself.

Obviously you get the conspiracy stupidity and other hyperbole worked into it this year, but it will be very interesting if a well thought of team just misses the playoffs some year and lucks into a top pick.

Hopefully this isn't the year for any amazing luck.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Anyone find it interesting that Darcy Regier AGM, is our nemesis right now? :laugh:

I'm curious what Role regier is playing with the Coyotes. The absolute beating the Rangers took on getting Yandle is classic Darcy fleecing IMHO. My guess is him and Arizona's GM are playing good cop/bad cop with other teams driving up the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad