OT: Official Spittin Chiclets Thread

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chicklets will hate this. It goes against everything they want. If there are no stories there is no podcast. Chicklets allow teams/players to edit out as much as they want in Post production in order to avoid this exact scenario.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree...doesn't make him smart, but JR has probably been in from of a microphone for tens of thousands of minutes in his lifetime. You could train a dog to bark (or not bark) every time a microphone was placed in front of them. Are you saying JR is less trainable than my Cocker Spaniel? :nod:
Probably.:laugh:I think JR got carried away and wasn't thinking. Like I said, "doesn't make him smart".

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chicklets will hate this. It goes against everything they want. If there are no stories there is no podcast. Chicklets allow teams/players to edit out as much as they want in Post production in order to avoid this exact scenario.
Did not know this. Makes JR seem more dumb than I originally thought.

Reactions: MIG

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
What's amazing to me, and this doesn't just apply to JR, is how often people who should be media savvy step in it. Was he drunk? How is it he thought his comments would be ok? Maybe he doesn't understand that a podcast is essentially a radio interview.
Dude, that wasn't an interview, it was Styles and Whit and Biz just bull****ing over some beers, bro.

What? Oh, ****, people are gonna hear this???

I hope this doesn't deflate the podcast or make future guests more gun-shy. Current players are already a little more reserved than old guys who don't give a damn.

Relistened to the Taylor Hall episode from Feb 2017. Really a great show. His story about Glenn Anderson is a top 5 Chiclets story.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Dude, that wasn't an interview, it was Styles and Whit and Biz just bull****ing over some beers, bro.

What? Oh, ****, people are gonna hear this???

I hope this doesn't deflate the podcast or make future guests more gun-shy. Current players are already a little more reserved than old guys who don't give a damn.

Relistened to the Taylor Hall episode from Feb 2017. Really a great show. His story about Glenn Anderson is a top 5 Chiclets story.

I think you can keep what's special about podcasts like Chiclets without violating "the rules."

Most sports interviews are very formulaic. The interviewer asks softball questions to which the interviewee provides cliché answers.

Podcasts are longer format and can explore more intimately, but you still have to follow "the rules."

1. Don't criticize your current coaching staff.
2. Don't criticize your current teammates.
3. Don't criticize the league or officiating.
4. Don't discuss your desire to have a threesome with Kathryn Tappen.

The rules are easy to follow, unless you are dumber than my Cocker Spaniel.

Reactions: ck26

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I think you can keep what's special about podcasts like Chiclets without violating "the rules."

Most sports interviews are very formulaic. The interviewer asks softball questions to which the interviewee provides cliché answers.

Podcasts are longer format and can explore more intimately, but you still have to follow "the rules."

1. Don't criticize your current coaching staff.
2. Don't criticize your current teammates.
3. Don't criticize the league or officiating.
4. Don't discuss your desire to have a threesome with Kathryn Tappen.

The rules are easy to follow, unless you are dumber than my Cocker Spaniel.
Bonus points for not just saying "dog" given the topic of threesomes.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I think most players realize that Roenick was punished because he's an active employee of an organization already embroiled in sexual harassment controversy that made skeezy comments about a female coworker. Really not that hard to avoid such a scenario if you have half a brain.

Reactions: ck26 and Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I agree...doesn't make him smart, but JR has probably been in from of a microphone for tens of thousands of minutes in his lifetime. You could train a dog to bark (or not bark) every time a microphone was placed in front of them. Are you saying JR is less trainable than my Cocker Spaniel? :nod:

Bill Walton says hello.... :laugh:

Reactions: AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think most players realize that Roenick was punished because he's an active employee of an organization already embroiled in sexual harassment controversy that made skeezy comments about a female coworker. Really not that hard to avoid such a scenario if you have half a brain.
It happened under their watch. They should have realized what he said and pulled it before it ever aired.

Reactions: Surfshop and MIG

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It happened under their watch. They should have realized what he said and pulled it before it ever aired.
Biz tried to save it. They probably felt his redirect attempt and Roenick’s half -assed recovery would be enough to gloss it over. It wasn’t.

The timing does help. Will anyone care by January 2nd?

Reactions: ck26

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Its a matter of respecting each other. You can tell funny stories, make jokes just keep them clean and respectful. If you wouldn't tell your kids the comment you shouldn't tell your friends.

rt

May 13, 2004
Its a matter of respecting each other. You can tell funny stories, make jokes just keep them clean and respectful. If you wouldn't tell your kids the comment you shouldn't tell your friends.
That’s ridiculous. We aren’t children. We’re adults. There’s a difference. Roenick shouldn’t have said he wanted to f*** his current work colleague. That’s pretty simple. It’s why nobody else on that extremely raunchy ADULT podcast has never gotten into trouble. They had the sense not to sexually harass current coworkers on the show. Haha.

Adult humor is good and is not the problem.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
That’s ridiculous. We aren’t children. We’re adults. There’s a difference. Roenick shouldn’t have said he wanted to **** his current work colleague. That’s pretty simple. It’s why nobody else on that extremely raunchy ADULT podcast has never gotten into trouble. They had the sense not to sexually harass current coworkers on the show. Haha.

Agreed. Adult Humor is fine and idiots get fired from jobs for being stupid all the time. Roenick went beer stupid for about 10 mins and if it costs him his job, he's got no one else to blame but himself. That was just being a dumb dumb.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
RT thats the great thing about these boards is people can have different opinions and values. My kids are 30 to 18 and we still have laughs, enjoy a beer and wings. All adults just very respectful of what we say. Well most of the time ;)

rt

May 13, 2004
RT thats the great thing about these boards is people can have different opinions and values. My kids are 30 to 18 and we still have laughs, enjoy a beer and wings. All adults just very respectful of what we say. Well most of the time ;)
That makes sense that you meant adult children! Haha. I’ve got a 5yr old and 2yr old so my head went to a completely different place!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That’s ridiculous. We aren’t children. We’re adults. There’s a difference. Roenick shouldn’t have said he wanted to **** his current work colleague. That’s pretty simple. It’s why nobody else on that extremely raunchy ADULT podcast has never gotten into trouble. They had the sense not to sexually harass current coworkers on the show. Haha.

The environment on that show is like a bunch of friends sitting around talking shit over a few drinks. I wouldn't be surprised if they do have a few drinks before or during. How many of us would get in trouble if they broadcasted everything we say to friends in that situation? What makes JR entertaining is his personality but he has to realize he has to keep it PC when he's on the air, especially in today's society where so many people are out looking for reasons to be offended. It's bad enough having to deal with that at work. I wouldn't want to have to be on guard 24/7 like these people in the public eye do. They get paid a massive premium for that though so deal with it or get banished like so many have. That's the unfortunate world we live in.

Reactions: Jakey53

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It's bad that people shouldn't make sexually crude comments about coworkers?

It's unfortunate that sexual harassment is increasingly unacceptable? What are you even fighting for.

That's not what I meant and you know it. You're not that stupid but that's the kind of self-righteous, sensitive crap I'm talking about. Thanks for being an example. Although I'm sure it was more about you just being a dick.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's not what I meant and you know it. You're not that stupid but that's the kind of self-righteous, sensitive crap I'm talking about. Thanks for being an example. Although I'm sure it was more about you just being a dick.

You are raging against the machine, except the machine in this case is taking a stand against sexual harassment and the type of environment it thrives in. I don't think you understand how awful your post comes off as in the context of this issue, as if being restrained from making sexual comments about coworkers is a form of 'PC' culture gone mad that makes for an 'unfortunate world' we have to live in.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You are raging against the machine, except the machine in this case is taking a stand against sexual harassment and the type of environment it thrives in. I don't think you understand how awful your post comes off as in the context of this issue, as if being restrained from making sexual comments about coworkers is a form of 'PC' culture gone mad that makes for an 'unfortunate world' we have to live in.

He was joking about sexually desiring an attractive female. Something that's done around a table of friends all the time by normal, heterosexual males. It was stupid to say it on the air or at the workplace. But should the guy be crucified for it like he is? I don't think so. He was joking. Even comics are getting bashed for making jokes about sexual preference, race, gender, etc. Lighten up. He didn't say he was going to hurt the woman. When did thinking a woman was "hot" and wanting to have sex with her become so bad? It's a f***ing chemical reaction. Now if he said something along the lines of I'd give her a promotion if she xxxx, we are talking about a lot different scenario. That wasn't what that situation was. He got suspended. He'll lose a bunch of money. Let it die there. It doesn't make him a horrible person. But in today's PC world, you have to get behind the opinion that he needs to be banished forever. That's ridiculous.

rt

May 13, 2004
He was joking about sexually desiring an attractive female. .
No he wasn’t. He was talking about his coworker. Which is gross.
When did thinking a woman was "hot" and wanting to have sex with her become so bad? It's a ****ing chemical reaction..
He’s not in trouble for “thinking”, he’s in trouble for saying gross sexual shit about his coworker on a national podcast.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Lighten up. He didn't say he was going to hurt the woman. When did thinking a woman was "hot" and wanting to have sex with her become so bad?

It's not bad in private among friends, but it's pretty damn bad when said between coworkers, and even worse when done so publicly. No one should have to explain the different power structures involved in friendship vs employment to a grown man.

Now if he said something along the lines of I'd give her a promotion if she xxxx, we are talking about a lot different scenario.

Are you Don Draper by chance? Is this satire? I can't even tell at this point.

He was joking about sexually desiring an attractive female. Something that's done around a table of friends all the time by normal, heterosexual males. It was stupid to say it on the air or at the workplace. But should the guy be crucified for it like he is?

Send out a company wide email or publicly blast as loudly as possible how much you want to have a threesome with a higher up female coworker. Let me know how that goes for you. It will probably be worse than a suspension. Understand that nobody is being crucified here.

That wasn't what that situation was. He got suspended. He'll lose a bunch of money. Let it die there. It doesn't make him a horrible person. But in today's PC world, you have to get behind the opinion that he needs to be banished forever. That's ridiculous.

You've again constructed an imaginary crucifixion. He's lucky to not be fired, as most regular people would be. Nobody thinks he should be 'banished forever' from hockey. JR needed to be publicly rebuked for his comments and he was, yet you continue to say it's a PC issue when it's not. It's a common sense issue for JR and a decency issue for NBC.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Desiring someone is gross just because they work at the same place as you do? Really? The workplace turns off hormones for you? Didn't he say that this woman hung out with he and his wife? Obviously she doesn't think he's gross or creepy or whatever. But now he's gross. Unbelievable.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I agree it's "common sense". I agree he was "stupid". Have you read some of the things on Twitter? People are definitely calling for his banishment from hockey. I'll be surprised if NBC brings him back. We'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad