Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You've repeated this like five hundred times, we know. And Darcy Kuemper proved again that any starter level goalie can win a cup.

Also, you may not have read what was actually written, the only reason they would get another (temporary) goalie is because both might not be healthy for the start of the season.

Meaning, Lehner and Brossoit would most likely be here next season because other teams probably aren't trading for injured goalies.

I don't think Brossoit not being ready for October would be a huge roadblock in moving him if the price is...free.

But as far as Lehner goes, GMKM did the usual double speak while throwing Deboer under the bus. "Lenny was Pete's guy." - not very encouraging if you're Robin and you went through a tough season. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they brought in Burke to help his rehab, get some good numbers at the beginning of the season then trade him mid-season.

Teams continue to be worried about potential arbitration numbers for RFAs, and no news on Holden is kind of worrisome. I hope they don't let him go like they did with Cousins.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The other problem with having Lehner start the year injured is that he and the 3rd goalie will count against the cap, unless Lenny is out so long he qualifies for LTIR.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
You've repeated this like five hundred times, we know. And Darcy Kuemper proved again that any starter level goalie can win a cup.

Also, you may not have read what was actually written, the only reason they would get another (temporary) goalie is because both might not be healthy for the start of the season.

Meaning, Lehner and Brossoit would most likely be here next season because other teams probably aren't trading for injured goalies.
I fully understand that it will be difficult to get rid of Lehner, I'm just not opposed to it. And I don't agree that Keumper proved that any starter can win the Cup. Colorado was just so far superior to Tampa, and even then a few breaks and Tampa could've won.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I fully understand that it will be difficult to get rid of Lehner, I'm just not opposed to it. And I don't agree that Keumper proved that any starter can win the Cup. Colorado was just so far superior to Tampa, and even then a few breaks and Tampa could've won.
Matt Murray won the Cup. Jordan Binnington won the Cup. Darcy Kuemper won the Cup. Martin Jones got to a Game 6 of the Finals. Thud is all recent history. All it's saying is maybe you should reconsider the idea that a team can't win the Cup because of a goalie you don't like.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Matt Murray won the Cup. Jordan Binnington won the Cup. Darcy Kuemper won the Cup. Martin Jones got to a Game 6 of the Finals. Thud is all recent history. All it's saying is maybe you should reconsider the idea that a team can't win the Cup because of a goalie you don't like.

Garbage goaltending throughout the West...an injured Tampa in the finals. This was their year. :madfire:

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Never said can't, I've said Lehner for me isn't a Cup-winning goalie. If the team in front is overwhelming, can we win, yes we can, but if goaltending is so unimportant, why not just roll with Thompson and a spare and get cap relief (if we can)?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He's established himself over years and within the past dozen years there's been worse goalies winning Cups and decidedly average or worse goalie performances on Cup winners.

He's good enough to win a Cup, it's all about the right situation and timing for almost every goalie, but you say he could never win one and yet are already sold on the guy with 20 starts. I am confident in Thompson being starter level also but Lehner is just a personal bias you have.

Trading either goalie injured is a tall ask IMO but a healthy Lehner isn't hard at all. Petr Mrazek just got traded and all Toronto had to do was move from 25 to 38.

This isn't to say I would be upset if we traded him before the season, but likewise I wouldn't be upset if we didn't.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Garbage goaltending throughout the West...an injured Tampa in the finals. This was their year. :madfire:

They had zero trouble with .902 goaltending. They could have won it with like .890 tbh but any NHL starter is capable of posting .907-.908 in the playoffs and that doesn't require a team rolling like that in front of you.

Let alone any NHL starter can go on a bit of a heater over 24 games in eight weeks and post about .916 or so to win one. All you "need" is like a top half of the league starting goaltender to play to their capability most years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think Brossoit not being ready for October would be a huge roadblock in moving him if the price is...free.

But as far as Lehner goes, GMKM did the usual double speak while throwing Deboer under the bus. "Lenny was Pete's guy." - not very encouraging if you're Robin and you went through a tough season. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they brought in Burke to help his rehab, get some good numbers at the beginning of the season then trade him mid-season.

Teams continue to be worried about potential arbitration numbers for RFAs, and no news on Holden is kind of worrisome. I hope they don't let him go like they did with Cousins.

I don't think trying to trade in season is desirable. He's either traded this offseason or next IMO.

The cap implications of having to keep three, or four, goalies means we might need to clear an additional million on top of what we already had to. That could be worrying.

McCrimmon has seemed to be really sleazy like a car salesman when he's trying to spin the narrative of his management since the season ended.

I could easily see this being Lehner's last season here though. If Thompson plays anywhere from 30-50 games and looks like a top 15 goalie then there is no way Lehner is, or should be, here after this season. The cap relief is just too much if you have Thompson still looking good with a full season under his belt.

Although, that Weber contract really needs to be traded before the 2023-24 season.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
The other day he was on a podcast and when asked about Lehner, out of nowhere, he brought up Debore and sort of put everything that happened with the goaltending the past 3 years on him. It's not a good look and you can tell he's feeling the pressure.

A Barbashev for Martinez + deal might make sense for both clubs. St Louis were reportedly very interested in McDonagh, and they've been collecting veteran dmen as of late. The Blues probably won't be able to afford Barbashev's next contract and he had a breakout year. It's also been said they might consider buying out Scandella.

They want help at LD but really can’t afford to add long term commitments until they lock up Thomas and Kyrou. STL needs money going the other way which is probably why the trade fell though. Unfortunately, it seems Martinez may return nothing or very little in this market.
It won’t happen but I love a Pacioretty for Tarasenko swap.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
He's established himself over years and within the past dozen years there's been worse goalies winning Cups and decidedly average or worse goalie performances on Cup winners.

He's good enough to win a Cup, it's all about the right situation and timing for almost every goalie, but you say he could never win one and yet are already sold on the guy with 20 starts. I am confident in Thompson being starter level also but Lehner is just a personal bias you have.

Trading either goalie injured is a tall ask IMO but a healthy Lehner isn't hard at all. Petr Mrazek just got traded and all Toronto had to do was move from 25 to 38.

This isn't to say I would be upset if we traded him before the season, but likewise I wouldn't be upset if we didn't.
Not a personal bias, professional, and, no I don't think we're good enough to win a Cup with the team we have and what we get from Lehner. We don't need Shesterkin, but we need better than Lehner..

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Not a personal bias, professional, and, no I don't think we're good enough to win a Cup with the team we have and what we get from Lehner. We don't need Shesterkin, but we need better than Lehner..

Pretty sure you're not professional anything regarding hockey, but I'm sufficiently bored of the shtick, have a good one.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Back to Brossoit, even though he's injured to start the year, he should actually have value now with the goalie market going crazy.

I think they could get a 4th for him.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Back to Brossoit, even though he's injured to start the year, he should actually have value now with the goalie market going crazy.

I’m not that optimistic. His extra salary owed (3m) doesn’t help and I don’t think enough events have happened to gauge the goaltending market. We might get lucky to move him for free.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Injured goods at that contract with the draft already done...nope. A 7th maybe, but might still have to attach an asset. The other guys that could get interest are seen as starters or at least solid 1B guys. I don't think Brossoit has ever really showed for long enough stretches against top competition he can be anything more than a #2. He could fill in if needed, but he'd be moved right back to #2 when the #1 was healthy. That's worth 1-1.5M in the market today, not nearly 3M.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Injured goods at that contract with the draft already done...nope. A 7th maybe, but might still have to attach an asset. The other guys that could get interest are seen as starters or at least solid 1B guys. I don't think Brossoit has ever really showed for long enough stretches against top competition he can be anything more than a #2. He could fill in if needed, but he'd be moved right back to #2 when the #1 was healthy. That's worth 1-1.5M in the market today, not nearly 3M.

I don't know, Detroit just gave over 14M to a somewhat unproven backup to be their new starter (including a 1M signing bonus). Nedelkovic was coming off a better season & only got 3Mx2 this time last year.

Teams are getting desperate. They're inquiring about Murray (and even at 50% retained that's still about 1.5M too much), Holtby might retire and there's just not enough veteran backups to go around. For some reason, most teams are tired of losing and actually want to win next season before the Bedard draft. :huh:

There's speculation Oettinger might get a yuge offer sheet.

But is it possible a VGK player realizes in August that they need to have surgery and will have to go on LTIR? :naughty:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Based on rookie camp roster...

Try Outs: Joe Flemming, Jace Weir, Will Riedell, Cooper Wylie, Noah De La Durantaye, Steve Holtz, Luke Krys, Jacob Guevin; Alex Swetlikoff, Carter Souch, Nolan Ritchie, Daniil Bourash, Wilmer Skoog, Nolan Moyle, Ryan McAllister, Daniel D'Amato, Nick Poisson, Justin Lies, Joey Larson, Mark Estapa

RFAs Dugan and Jones have their jersey #s being used by prospects; might be a clue they're not being qualified.

Reactions: RapidKnight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I’m not that optimistic. His extra salary owed (3m) doesn’t help and I don’t think enough events have happened to gauge the goaltending market. We might get lucky to move him for free.

I did not even realize that he was owed more than the AAV this season. I don't think that's easy to move at all without retention, which would cause us to have to move another player.

I still have no idea what they do this offseason but I really think Pacioretty and his 7 million number is the only parachute out of the situation.

Even if they trade could Brossoit, Martinez and Patrick with no retention that might not be enough for Smith and all the RFAs depending on the deals they get.

Reactions: RapidKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2