Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Surprised we didn't want to keep Janmark that low.

If he signed that for the Oilers I'm sure we could have signed him at 1.125 for one year with literally no risk and only 200k more than an ELC. Could also have waived him with no penalty if things went wrong.

Considering our third line question marks at both wings it may not have been a bad idea. And I think he is a player who plays the game the way Cassidy would like.
So what’s your take on Janmark? I don’t know anything about him. Good bottom 6 guy, 12-14 mins a night?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils fan here!

So apparently the New Jersey Devils hired a former assistant coach of the Knights Ryan McGill

Any thoughts on him you guys can share and if you guys thought he was good/bad?

EMcx2

Dec 11, 2021
So what’s your take on Janmark? I don’t know anything about him. Good bottom 6 guy, 12-14 mins a night?
That's about right. Seems like a good team player, happy to kill penalties, block shots, make the pass, etc. Not much scoring. Had a case of COVID that lingered and hindered him. At what he signed for I would have rather kept him than a couple guys still on the roster.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
That's about right. Seems like a good team player, happy to kill penalties, block shots, make the pass, etc. Not much scoring. Had a case of COVID that lingered and hindered him. At what he signed for I would have rather kept him than a couple guys still on the roster.
Thx

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He doesn't give you enough goals, but the goals he scored for us seemed to be timely. He does everything else you'd want though. At that price, he is definitely a good asset.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I
Devils fan here!

So apparently the New Jersey Devils hired a former assistant coach of the Knights Ryan McGill

Any thoughts on him you guys can share and if you guys thought he was good/bad?
It is hard to distinguish the quality of an asst from that of his head coach. The team did well under Turk but many stats suffered under DeBoer even when they were winning.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Brossoit would probably be enough to sign our RFAs and have a full roster but our third line would likely be pretty bad and we'd have no wiggle room to improve it.

This got me thinking if Martinez is still possibly out the door. Trading him to Detroit for nothing might make all parties happy.

Yzerman gets a great mentor for Seider and a contract that expires in time, not to mention a good player for them in their goal to win more games this season. We get cap space and Martinez plays for his hometown team.

This would give us enough room for the RFAs and to possibly sign someone like Statsny to help shore up our top nine. We would also still have Brossoit on the roster and could trade him at deadline time to facilitate the space for a few small pickups like a 4/5D if needed and a physical forward grinder.

They would just have to hope Hague takes the next step to the top four, or Whitecloud.

Reactions: G Backup

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Brossoit would probably be enough to sign our RFAs and have a full roster but our third line would likely be pretty bad and we'd have no wiggle room to improve it.

This got me thinking if Martinez is still possibly out the door. Trading him to Detroit for nothing might make all parties happy.

Yzerman gets a great mentor for Seider and a contract that expires in time, not to mention a good player for them in their goal to win more games this season. We get cap space and Martinez plays for his hometown team.

This would give us enough room for the RFAs and to possibly sign someone like Statsny to help shore up our top nine. We would also still have Brossoit on the roster and could trade him at deadline time to facilitate the space for a few small pickups like a 4/5D if needed and a physical forward grinder.

They would just have to hope Hague takes the next step to the top four, or Whitecloud.

I think Cassidy is a big reason Martinez is still here & Patches was shipped out for nada. He named Martinez & Pietrangelo specifically as guys that have won Cups and seems very eager to work with him.

Although Martini looked miserable when he came back. Obviously he had a rough year, but who knows, he may want out.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think Cassidy is a big reason Martinez is still here & Patches was shipped out for nada. He named Martinez & Pietrangelo specifically as guys that have won Cups and seems very eager to work with him.

Although Martini looked miserable when he came back. Obviously he had a rough year, but who knows, he may want out.
IIRC Martini contemplated retiring due to how long his rehab took, and how his body felt through it all.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I mean, it isn't a necessity as moving Brossoit would give us 3M for Roy and almost 2.5M for Hague, which should be enough to get them done (and Leschyshyn near minimum) and have a full roster. But calling up Brisson or Morozov or anyone making over 800k would maybe be a little trickier.

And our third line wingers would probably be below Cup contender quality.

Off topic to this conversation but I just realized (or I knew before but just put together) Jonathan Toews is from Manitoba. He has the veteran pedigree NHL GMs love and while being called over the hill he actually had a similar season to Roy last year on a bad team.

This season he obviously makes too much but as a UFA next season I think McCrimmon goes hard after him as a depth center if he doesn't price himself out, which considering how much he's made already and a stated desire to play on a team trying to compete I doubt he would.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
With Lehner out all season and presumably Weber and Patrick also, Vegas can sign Hague to something like three years 2.75, Leschyshyn to the same deal as Rondbjerg and still have about 2.1 million left to offer Stastny to help our third line be decent. Assuming we don't get another goalie.

Stephenson Eichel Stone
Marchessault Karlsson Smith
Stastny (2,145,833) Roy Amadio
Carrier Howden Kolesar
(Dorofeyev Brisson)

Martinez Pietrangelo
McNabb Theodore
Hague (2.75) Whitecloud
(Hutton)

Thompson
Hutchinson
Brossoit (IR)
Weber, Lehner, Patrick (LTIR)

That would put us right at the cap with 23 roster and 1 IR so our ACSL would be the same as the salary cap. While also being able to run a 23 man roster and have expensive extras like Brisson and Dorofeyev in the lineup if need be. It also allows some wiggle room to trade out Brossoit and bring in an upgrade while maintaining a 23 man roster by sending Hutchinson down.

Reactions: G Backup

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
With Lehner out all season and presumably Weber and Patrick also, Vegas can sign Hague to something like three years 2.75, Leschyshyn to the same deal as Rondbjerg and still have about 2.1 million left to offer Stastny to help our third line be decent. Assuming we don't get another goalie.

Stephenson Eichel Stone
Marchessault Karlsson Smith
Stastny (2,145,833) Roy Amadio
Carrier Howden Kolesar
(Dorofeyev Brisson)

Martinez Pietrangelo
McNabb Theodore
Hague (2.75) Whitecloud
(Hutton)

Thompson
Hutchinson
Brossoit (IR)
Weber, Lehner, Patrick (LTIR)

That would put us right at the cap with 23 roster and 1 IR so our ACSL would be the same as the salary cap. While also being able to run a 23 man roster and have expensive extras like Brisson and Dorofeyev in the lineup if need be. It also allows some wiggle room to trade out Brossoit and bring in an upgrade while maintaining a 23 man roster by sending Hutchinson down.
With guys on LTIR they might as well spend every dollar so that makes sense. Stastny is probably best fit for that line so I could see him taking that. Overall a decent roster that's probably good enough to win a round at best. If guys get hurt it's another playoff miss and finally a rebuild. I just don't see a contender out of that and don't see the path to contention from it. Too much money spent on 3rd and 4th lines for meh production. Maybe the 3rd line gains some traction but the money they blow above minimum on the 4th liners just has to be addressed. And let's see what line blender Cassidy comes up with, sounds like Misfits are no fit anymore.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
With guys on LTIR they might as well spend every dollar so that makes sense. Stastny is probably best fit for that line so I could see him taking that. Overall a decent roster that's probably good enough to win a round at best. If guys get hurt it's another playoff miss and finally a rebuild. I just don't see a contender out of that and don't see the path to contention from it. Too much money spent on 3rd and 4th lines for meh production. Maybe the 3rd line gains some traction but the money they blow above minimum on the 4th liners just has to be addressed. And let's see what line blender Cassidy comes up with, sounds like Misfits are no fit anymore.
I see our roster as much better than that, though obviously there is a crapshoot part, namely, Stone and Eichel remaining healthy AND returning to playing up to their contracts. I think our defense has the potential to be excellent and I think Thompson is a star in the making (at a miniscule cost. I would like to see us start keeping our draft choices and developing youngsters on ELC's, though I think VGK will always be a destination for players due to nice weather, low taxes, great fan base, etc..

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I see our roster as much better than that, though obviously there is a crapshoot part, namely, Stone and Eichel remaining healthy AND returning to playing up to their contracts. I think our defense has the potential to be excellent and I think Thompson is a star in the making (at a miniscule cost. I would like to see us start keeping our draft choices and developing youngsters on ELC's, though I think VGK will always be a destination for players due to nice weather, low taxes, great fan base, etc..
Anything could happen. I just don't see this as a top 4 roster in the West even in an optimistic scenario. It's a playoff roster and once you get there anything can happen so not giving up but also saying no need to go crazy upgrading it. Path to the Cup involves using all the youngest players and hoping they have some serious realized upside over next few years. Guys like Stastny get in the way of that but for one year no harm in bringing one guy in.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
So, besides possibly Stastny are there any other cheap UFA forwards that might help the team's third line?

Or young players we could take a punt on for league minimum?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad