Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Not liking all the Martinez rumors. Only way I'd trade him is as a last ditch effort to get under the cap after every other possibility has been exhausted. Losing him really throws the defense pairs for a loop. A guy like Hague can play 20 minutes a night paired with Petro but I'd much prefer him on the third pair with Whitecloud. The top 6/7 D as it stands now is very, very solid.
He's also getting older and slower and getting hurt more often - not his fault but Father Time gets us all. In a perfect world, we'd keep him, but at his cap hit and age, we at least have to listen to offers.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Here's the deal as I see it. We have to get rid of the Brossoit and Patrick cap hits no matter what. Brossoit may need like a 5th thrown in but he should be able to find a destination. Patrick would be picked up for free by someone but even if he wasn't, if he needs LTIR we can do that or even if we need to bury the cap hit in the AHL we can do that.

Beyond that, I only see two options in order to sign the players we want to sign and have a 23 man roster, which is something we need considering the LTIR will make injuries a bit more tricky to navigate.

Option 1. Pacioretty goes.
He's done well for us but this is the easiest way to get under for us. It will hurt for a team that needs all the goals it can get but hopefully Eichel settles in, Stone stays healthy and Karlsson steps back up.

Option 2. Combo of Martinez and Carrier/Lehner go.
This is the only other option I see that gets Smith and the RFAs signed.

Lehner and Carrier doesn't do it by the way, because we'd have to bring in another goalie (or keep Brossoit) who would eat into the cap enough to require another move. It has to be Martinez because his replacement in the cap would be like Coghlan or an extra forward making less than 800k.

I'm saying this because they're the only big money players I can see us moving. They apparently want to keep the Misfits together. They aren't trading Eichel or Stone. Stephenson makes no sense to trade and doesn't shed enough anyway. They aren't trading McNabb, who they signed three months ago, or Pietrangelo or Theodore.

Pacioretty or Martinez and Carrier/Lehner seem like the only realistic options.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Kane signed with Edmonton January 27. That's nearly six months ago.

I said most, not all. Teams like the Leafs and Lightning wouldn't even offer him a league minimum contract. My point stands.

I wanted Vegas to sign him to help with their cap situation.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
Pacioretty’s goal scoring reputation is undeserved in my opinion. He is a shot attempt hog not a natural goal scorer. Pacioretty takes more shot attempts than Stone and Stephenson combined. He’s not helping Vegas finish chances. If anything Vegas’ tendency to out shoot opponents and still manage to lose is the result of Pacioretty’s and Marchesault’s tendency to always shoot the puck and their poor shooting efficiency. I’d move Pacioretty before I’d consider moving Martinez, Lehner, or Karlsson.

Reactions: Lehtonen

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Pacioretty’s goal scoring reputation is undeserved in my opinion. He is a shot attempt hog not a natural goal scorer. Pacioretty takes more shot attempts than Stone and Stephenson combined. He’s not helping Vegas finish chances. If anything Vegas’ tendency to out shoot opponents and still manage to lose is the result of Pacioretty’s and Marchesault’s tendency to always shoot the puck and their poor shooting efficiency. I’d move Pacioretty before I’d consider moving Martinez, Lehner, or Karlsson.
Eh, most reputable goalscorers are volume shooters, so that's only a negative if he's not scoring goals. Ovi for example pumps out shots like there's no tomorrow. Matthews too.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Well, Lehner is a goalie and I'd move him in a heartbeat, he's just not a Cup-contender goalie. Otherwise, I've been pushing trading Patches for whatever we can get for awhile now. He's very one-dimensional, slowing down and not worth to close to 7+ mil.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I agree 100% on moving him now. I don't expect it to happen because they clearly have a win right now mindset. I'm hopeful both he and Marchy are more effective players in a new system that hopefully doesn't emphasize point shots as much. I think both can be better scorers shooting on the rush where the goalie isn't able to just follow offensive zone play and be in a position to stop anything they shoot.

Reactions: RapidKnight

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I agree 100% on moving him now. I don't expect it to happen because they clearly have a win right now mindset. I'm hopeful both he and Marchy are more effective players in a new system that hopefully doesn't emphasize point shots as much. I think both can be better scorers shooting on the rush where the goalie isn't able to just follow offensive zone play and be in a position to stop anything they shoot.
Statistically both seem to be better rush shooters. Pacioretty and Marchessault both have better even strength efficiency compared to the powerplay. Additionally, they struggle when trailing by one goal (when rush chances dry up). I’m just concerned that rush chances dry up when trailing no matter the system.

Hopefully, Cassidy and health Eichel can fix the powerplay but I’m not too optimistic.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I mean, it isnt like Vegas has taken every opportunity to convince Russian players they won't get a fair shake. :sarcasm:
Yeah I pretty much in his situation would have crossed Vegas off the list right away. New coach who supposedly favors veterans he trusts doesn't make it any easier either. This feels like an offseason where the best management can do is hope they can fit Smith into the cap and then go bargain hunting for veterans the new staff likes. Those only work out sometimes, but as long as their cap hits are low then you can maneuver out of them like they could easily cut bait on Patrick if they choose. Give them even a little too much like Brossoit and its another anchor to deal with.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm kind of worried Vegas won't be able to stop themselves re: JT Miller. 5.25M on his remaining year, Canucks are willing to retain, and Vancouver is looking for players like Roy, Whitecloud etc.

However, he might make a good UFA signing next year.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Hello, just wanted to check in and see which players are likely on the outs for cap reasons. Is there a chance that Hague is on the block? Or would Vegas likely move another defenseman first?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hello, just wanted to check in and see which players are likely on the outs for cap reasons. Is there a chance that Hague is on the block? Or would Vegas likely move another defenseman first?

Sounds like Martinez but who knows? I don't think they would turn down a good offer on Pacioretty, but if I had to guess they're gunshy about moving too many forwards out now.

Definitely Brossoit will be a cap casualty if they can find a taker.

Last edited:
Reactions: duxfan1101

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I’ve been quick to criticize Patches but my argument was patchy. I was concerned about his struggles when down 1 (critical time to score). It shouldn’t be much of a concern though, the stat isn’t reliable. Probably very unlucky the last few seasons. He’s still a very poor finisher on the powerplay who doesn’t pass. I can share the data if anyone is interested.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If we get more than a 2nd I wouldn’t be opposed to the move. Losing Hague wouldn’t hurt our depth much and we could take full advantage of Hutton’s contract.
Seems like a pretty big ask of a guy that needs to get paid soon for just so so performance to this point. That being said if it's more than a 2nd you have to take it.

I do agree with the comment about the team needing to stop trading every young asset away. If Hague gets taken because of an offer sheet that is too high that's another thing, but if he was traded just to make the cap work that's a problem. I don't think that will happen though, Martinez seems likely gone to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad