Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Obviously Deboer better be gone on Saturday morning. Does Foley let the GM's fire him before they get the axe as well?

Who are some good coaching candidates? GM?

Lehner? With the emergence of Thompson and his cheap cap hit they could probably afford to keep him around. Before his injuries he was carrying the team. He isn't going to have to carry the load and would be a fine 1B. I also have no problem if they trade him if he is a problem in the locker room and bring in a 4-5m replacement.

Who goes to shed cap: Dadonov obvious first choice. Pacioretty was shopped last offseason and should be again. Only has one year left on his deal. His goal scoring probably won't be replaced but he is made of glass. Karlsson? With Eichel and Stephenson you can't have a 6 million dollar third line center. Smith and Janmark are UFA.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Mcrimmon can not be allowed to hire another coach period. We're going to learn a lot about who is really responsible for the way the organization has been run. If Mcrimmon and/or Mcphee don't get fired it's because they're doing all of this on Foley's orders.

I'm not opposed to Deboer coming back with all new assistants. I'm also not opposed to Quenneville or Boudreau replacing him. Past those 2 I'm not sure there is a better coach they can get.

Brossoit is a guarantee to be gone. Lehner and Dadonov pretty good chance has well. According to SinBin Smith essentially has already got a handshake deal agreed upon. Those 3 out would be enough to sign Smith and the RFA's.

I'd go one step further and move Pacioretty and go out and sign Marchment or Palat 4x4.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Mcrimmon can not be allowed to hire another coach period. We're going to learn a lot about who is really responsible for the way the organization has been run. If Mcrimmon and/or Mcphee don't get fired it's because they're doing all of this on Foley's orders.

I'm not opposed to Deboer coming back with all new assistants. I'm also not opposed to Quenneville or Boudreau replacing him. Past those 2 I'm not sure there is a better coach they can get.

Brossoit is a guarantee to be gone. Lehner and Dadonov pretty good chance has well. According to SinBin Smith essentially has already got a handshake deal agreed upon. Those 3 out would be enough to sign Smith and the RFA's.

I'd go one step further and move Pacioretty and go out and sign Marchment or Palat 4x4.
Dadonov, Brossoit and Lehner only leave us with about 4.8 or 5.5 million after the RFAs depending on having 22 or 23 on the roster and they would still need a goalie to split starts with Thompson because relying on him to be the guy so quickly and getting a super cheap, low end backup could backfire hard and make everything else pointless.

Unless Smith is re-signing for under 4 million I think they'd need another move.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Dadonov, Brossoit and Lehner only leave us with about 4.8 or 5.5 million after the RFAs depending on having 22 or 23 on the roster and they would still need a goalie to split starts with Thompson because relying on him to be the guy so quickly and getting a super cheap, low end backup could backfire hard and make everything else pointless.

Unless Smith is re-signing for under 4 million I think they'd need another move.

Marchessault-Eichel-Roy (3m per)
Pacioretty-Stephenson-Stone
Smith (4.5m per)-Karlsson-Amadio
Carrier-Howden (900k)-Kolesar (900k)

Martinez-Petro
Mcnabb-Theo
Hague (1.25m per)- Whitecloud
Hutton

Thompson
Blackwood

Dadonov and Brossoit out with futures with no cap coming back. Lehner for Blackwood straight up. Patrick buried in the AHL or traded.

That roster is 300k under the cap.

Like I said before though I'd go a step further and move Pacioretty too to try and sign a guy like Marchment or Palat 4x4.

Reactions: WickedPegJets

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman asks a number of questions on the VGK off season. Unknown what might happen as the organization has never not made playoffs. What of Lehner?

Paywall
Granger has some off season questions in his article as well.

And how many guys won't play last game of season as they are too busted up? (Stone)

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Marchessault-Eichel-Roy (3m per)
Pacioretty-Stephenson-Stone
Smith (4.5m per)-Karlsson-Amadio
Carrier-Howden (900k)-Kolesar (900k)

Martinez-Petro
Mcnabb-Theo
Hague (1.25m per)- Whitecloud
Hutton

Thompson
Blackwood

Dadonov and Brossoit out with futures with no cap coming back. Lehner for Blackwood straight up. Patrick buried in the AHL or traded.

That roster is 300k under the cap.

Like I said before though I'd go a step further and move Pacioretty too to try and sign a guy like Marchment or Palat 4x4.
I was told by multiple people that Hague would no way sign for less than 2m but I'm not as good at judging what young players on RFA deals should make.

I actually would give consideration to trading Hague for a first rounder if he'd cost over 2m as it would be very tough to afford this lineup if so and we'd also probably need one extra forward for a 22 man lineup.

I don't dislike Hague and think he can have a bright future (though how bright still undetermined as his skating will probably never get much better) but I feel we are more in need of youth options up front than on defense, with Cormier, Chayka, Coghlan with Theodore and Whitecloud still being pretty young and Pietrangelo guaranteed to be here a while. Maybe we could look at Livingstone as a college FA.

Up front it's pretty much Brisson, Morozov and Dean. Eichel and Roy are still pretty young and Stone will be around.

I'm not sure Patrick comes back to hockey, or if he should.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I was told by multiple people that Hague would no way sign for less than 2m but I'm not as good at judging what young players on RFA deals should make.

I actually would give consideration to trading Hague for a first rounder if he'd cost over 2m as it would be very tough to afford this lineup if so and we'd also probably need one extra forward for a 22 man lineup.

I don't dislike Hague and think he can have a bright future (though how bright still undetermined as his skating will probably never get much better) but I feel we are more in need of youth options up front than on defense, with Cormier, Chayka, Coghlan with Theodore and Whitecloud still being pretty young and Pietrangelo guaranteed to be here a while. Maybe we could look at Livingstone as a college FA.

Up front it's pretty much Brisson, Morozov and Dean. Eichel and Roy are still pretty young and Stone will be around.

I'm not sure Patrick comes back to hockey, or if he should.

Can't see many teams lining up to give up a 1st rounder for Nic Hague.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

Friedman asks a number of questions on the VGK off season. Unknown what might happen as the organization has never not made playoffs. What of Lehner?

Paywall

And how many guys won't play last game of season as they are too busted up? (Stone)

I've never been a fan of his game recap articles or when he tries to analyze strategy, but this is the best piece Granger has turned out that wasn't purely a player profile. Maybe the light has finally turned on for him.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
At this point with this team having plenty of centers I would prefer having Dadonov on the roster instead of Karlsson if that’s possible.

Reactions: RapidKnight

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I'll post my thoughts another time, but I'd get rid of Hague if he wants 2+ million. I liked Hutton better at a fraction of the cost.

FWIW I'd trade Lehner for a bag of pucks and an autographed, framed picture. I think he's going to become a cancer especially if PDB stays. The Coyotes could use a goalie and have tons of cap space to where the salary is not an issue, and by the time their kids mature his contract would run out.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Hague being hurt most of the season should bring his price down quite a bit. If he had played a full season next to Petro and put up 30+ points he'd have gotten 2+ easily. I think he'll get a bit more than a million per. No reason not to keep him at that price unless someone gives us a great offer. Anything over 3 for Roy and I'd let him go to arbitration. Anything over 1 for Kolesar or Howden and I'd cut ties.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Especially if it takes 2m to sign him with the expectation his salary only goes up from there. I think unsigned he's worth at best a 3rd and more likely 4-5th.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Just get rid of everyone and start with a fresh set of eyes. I have no doubt in my mind most of this mess is McPhee but if both have to go so be it. PDB has to go too he's not going to accept assistants that aren't his own

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Just get rid of everyone and start with a fresh set of eyes. I have no doubt in my mind most of this mess is McPhee but if both have to go so be it. PDB has to go too he's not going to accept assistants that aren't his own

He already has the whole time he's been here. The only assistant he picked was Spott. Craig and Mcgill were leftovers from Gallant's staff.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
He already has the whole time he's been here. The only assistant he picked was Spott. Craig and Mcgill were leftovers from Gallant's staff.
Spott is the one we all want burned at the stake so what's your point?

Whether people want to blame him or injuries, facts are facts. Team is going in the wrong direction and that usually gets a coach fired. If Foley really wants to keep all these clowns in place is his choice but it's pretty clear very few in the fanbase or the roster will be upset if he was let go.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Spott is the one we all want burned at the stake so what's your point?

Whether people want to blame him or injuries, facts are facts. Team is going in the wrong direction and that usually gets a coach fired. If Foley really wants to keep all these clowns in place is his choice but it's pretty clear very few in the fanbase or the roster will be upset if he was let go.

You said he wouldn't accept assistants that aren't his own. He has already done that. Spott obviously needs to go. If Deboer wants to put himself on the line with him then he needs to go too. Same thing I said last summer. I'm not opposed to keeping Deboer with entirely new assistants. I'm also not opposed to completely cleaning house from Mcphee to Mcrimmon to Deboer to all of the assistants.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

Paywall

Gerald Gallant was fired and was replaced with Peter DeBoer whose team was beaten by the Canadiens in last season’s playoffs. That should have merited his dismissal. Now that his team missed the playoffs altogether, he should walk the plank.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Gerald Gallant was fired and was replaced with Peter DeBoer whose team was beaten by the Canadiens in last season’s playoffs. That should have merited his dismissal. Now that his team missed the playoffs altogether, he should walk the plank.
I would have sacked him after the Montreal series, when you lose the same way you lost in the Dallas series the year before and in the same way the gave us tons of fits with Vancouver and Minnesota. Debeor hockey is quite easily stifled.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
One off season after being the team's best player in the playoffs shouldn't determine that.

I think though as Karlsson would've played much better with a different coach.
Karlsson showed some signs of life late in the season, but he doesn't seem to have the same speed and aggressiveness as in Year 1. I'm very much on the fence as to if he should be kept. Certainly the PDB slog it out along the boards style hampers him, but I'm not sure he's the same player as 5 years ago.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Karlsson showed some signs of life late in the season, but he doesn't seem to have the same speed and aggressiveness as in Year 1. I'm very much on the fence as to if he should be kept. Certainly the PDB slog it out along the boards style hampers him, but I'm not sure he's the same player as 5 years ago.

People have got to stop comparing any version of Karlsson to year 1. He is not going to shoot 24% again. Chances are no player will for Vegas anytime soon.

Karlsson's PPG as a Knight-

He's had 1 year he hasn't been worth 5.9. If you think this year is the new norm then it would make sense to move him, but history says he should rebound closer to the year 2-4 numbers. And even this "down year" for him resulted in better production than Smith had last year. I don't recall people wanting to dump him then.

Reactions: theslatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad