Speculation: Official Offseason Thread

Knightmare

VGK fan since the 70’s
Jun 15, 2018
Las Vegas
Sounds like contract negotiations. Hague’s agent leaks that teams are interested in him and then VGK representative Gary Lawless says no one is interested in him.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Seems like a pretty big ask of a guy that needs to get paid soon for just so so performance to this point. That being said if it's more than a 2nd you have to take it.

I do agree with the comment about the team needing to stop trading every young asset away. If Hague gets taken because of an offer sheet that is too high that's another thing, but if he was traded just to make the cap work that's a problem. I don't think that will happen though, Martinez seems likely gone to me.
It is something of a conundrum - right now Martinez is the better player, but he's obviously not going to be there in two years or so. Plus, I'm not so sure Hague isn't fairly easily replaced.

Yes we need to stop trading away our prospects and picks for the future, but if we get blown away with an offer for Hague, I'd take it.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Hague has a lot more upside that Martinez, even getting a raise.

The thing about upside is that it is speculative. Potential not being met is a common occurrence in sports.

Paywall. Why folks/fans are concerned.

Especially with VGK cap situation.

This is why I think the team should move on from McC, and McP too if he was involved in this current roster structure.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We wouldn't retain on Martinez. Seravalli needs to get real, especially saying that then ranking him a spot above Boeser and others who would get a postive return. But doesn't Seravalli have fraught relations with VGK for some reason? I vaguely remember drama with him, possibly more than one instance?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Boy am I glad Morozov got here when he did. Fedotov detained and taken to a recruitment office for "draft dodging."

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Boy am I glad Morozov got here when he did. Fedotov detained and taken to a recruitment office for "draft dodging."

I feel for most of these guys. I doubt any of the NHLers outside of Ovi and a few of his highly paid friends have nothing but disdain for Putin. Pretty soon these guys are going to be like Cuban baseball players having to escape to get paid what their worth and have the freedom to not be PR pawns for their government

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Don't know if it has been mentioned but what an awful offseason McCrimmon had last year.

Three new players brought in with two years on their deals are now the ones we most likely have to try to move. Dadonov, Brossoit and Patrick. Howden looked good when he played though.

The other player often mentioned in trade scenarios is the guy he re-signed last year. Martinez. And his injury limited how effective he could be for our team last year.

But regardless his four biggest players brought in or re-signed are the ones most likely to be traded a year later to make space.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Don't know if it has been mentioned but what an awful offseason McCrimmon had last year.

Three new players brought in with two years on their deals are now the ones we most likely have to try to move. Dadonov, Brossoit and Patrick. Howden looked good when he played though.

The other player often mentioned in trade scenarios is the guy he re-signed last year. Martinez. And his injury limited how effective he could be for our team last year.

But regardless his four biggest players brought in or re-signed are the ones most likely to be traded a year later to make space.

The other day he was on a podcast and when asked about Lehner, out of nowhere, he brought up Debore and sort of put everything that happened with the goaltending the past 3 years on him. It's not a good look and you can tell he's feeling the pressure.

A Barbashev for Martinez + deal might make sense for both clubs. St Louis were reportedly very interested in McDonagh, and they've been collecting veteran dmen as of late. The Blues probably won't be able to afford Barbashev's next contract and he had a breakout year. It's also been said they might consider buying out Scandella.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
And just because I enjoy planting seeds that keep people up at night -

speaking of the Blues, they still haven't been able to re-sign Perron. We all know he would be very open to returning to Vegas. The year 1 MISFIT prodigal son returning, around 4.5M AAV x 2. Pacioretty traded. It won't happen...but it could.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Apparently the Blues are also shopping Krug so Martinez would be a nice upgrade at a better cap hit.

Let's fire up those MAF rumors

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Apparently the Blues are also shopping Krug so Martinez would be a nice upgrade at a better cap hit.

Let's fire up those MAF rumors

For my money (and I spend a lot of it on VGK) I'm perfectly willing to roll the dice with Thompson plus a cheap backup. Just not a Lehner fan for a Cup-contender and, while it's a gamble I think Thompson is a star in the making.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
For my money (and I spend a lot of it on VGK) I'm perfectly willing to roll the dice with Thompson plus a cheap backup. Just not a Lehner fan for a Cup-contender and, while it's a gamble I think Thompson is a star in the making.

You've repeated this like five hundred times, we know. And Darcy Kuemper proved again that any starter level goalie can win a cup.

Also, you may not have read what was actually written, the only reason they would get another (temporary) goalie is because both might not be healthy for the start of the season.

Meaning, Lehner and Brossoit would most likely be here next season because other teams probably aren't trading for injured goalies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad