OT: Official Golf Thread II

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lower the loft, lower the side spin, which should produce a more stable accurate ball flight.

my game really coming around, took my first lesson and he dissected my swing much like we see on TV, frame by frame, completely altered my takeaway path and follow through path, haven`t hit the ball this straight in years, now, the issue is this, after swinging pretty much the same way for 35 years, from time to time, the old swing creeps in and trouble occurs and my distances are different now that I don`t have the huge draw/hook but still nice to watch a ball go straight most of the time

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
The IF is always the biggest part. Like Andrew:odaat, I’ve been hyper focused on my path/swing plane. I find when I get full hip action, I’m bringing out a monster slice but if I’m “all arms” as I’ve had several mention to me lately I have a more reliable draw; I’ve had a lot of advice this year but have really focused on slowing myself down mentally.
I’ve been very uncomfortable w my short/chip/approach situations and so I’ve been using the 7 iron a ton more to keep more control and reliability around the green/fringe.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The IF is always the biggest part. Like Andrew:odaat, I’ve been hyper focused on my path/swing plane. I find when I get full hip action, I’m bringing out a monster slice but if I’m “all arms” as I’ve had several mention to me lately I have a more reliable draw; I’ve had a lot of advice this year but have really focused on slowing myself down mentally.
I’ve been very uncomfortable w my short/chip/approach situations and so I’ve been using the 7 iron a ton more to keep more control and reliability around the green/fringe.

I like the 7/8 iron near the greens as well, one of my issues around greens if using a wedge of any kind is either chunking it or hitting it thin, for reasons beyond me, when using the 7/8 iron, it`s much like using a putter and I simply use the putting motion and the ball typically comes off the club clean and for me anyways, winds up far more accurate than a wedge in my hand.

I putted like turds yesterday but felt I corrected it over the last 4 holes of which I parred three of them.

My biggest adjustment still remains understanding the distances I can now hit irons as I`m hitting them straight now as opposed to having a big left to right draw/hook but loving watching my shots go straight regardless

Reactions: Flannelman

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
42 last Friday which if I had bogied (sp?) the last hole would have been a 39 (which tells you how I fared on the last hole).
Today a 48. EEk. Only one putt I really wanted back (7 footer, missed by a half and inch). Felt good with that and the 7 iron was on fire (distance, ball path, etc). Last hole I bogied after a monster drive, short w the utility wedge by 10 feet, then misplayed a bump and run.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
42 last Friday which if I had bogied (sp?) the last hole would have been a 39 (which tells you how I fared on the last hole).
Today a 48. EEk. Only one putt I really wanted back (7 footer, missed by a half and inch). Felt good with that and the 7 iron was on fire (distance, ball path, etc). Last hole I bogied after a monster drive, short w the utility wedge by 10 feet, then misplayed a bump and run.
And then the next round you shoot in the 70’s

Golf...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hittin the links today, had one lower back issue looked after with a small procedure but now having issues with the middle of the back preventing me to play as often as I would like so playing very conservative amounts and swingin` like the old fart that I am

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
82 today, left 5 putts an inch from the cup , 2 were short which isn`t good but the other 3 all had really good putts just wouldn`t drop

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Still sounds like a great day, Andrew

It was, really happy with my overall game, I`ll never be a guy who shoots consistently mid 70`s, more of a player who consistently flirts with breaking 80 with likely one out of 5-6 games playing in the 70`s.

Really starting to figure out my distances with the irons in my hands since the swing change and the ball now going straight:)

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I think I've finally made progress on curing my slice off the tee...

My grip on the club was far too low into my palm, leading to me having to over correct to square the clubface.

Huge progress made just by getting the grip more into my fingers.

Granted, I'm now closing the clubface a bit, and pulling the ball. But it's far better than my slice, and it's just a matter of practice at this point.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I think I've finally made progress on curing my slice off the tee...

My grip on the club was far too low into my palm, leading to me having to over correct to square the clubface.

Huge progress made just by getting the grip more into my fingers.

Granted, I'm now closing the clubface a bit, and pulling the ball. But it's far better than my slice, and it's just a matter of practice at this point.
Friend of mine a 6 handicap for years met my PGA pro and finally had a lesson.

The big result from video and Trackman...his grip

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Friend of mine a 6 handicap for years met my PGA pro and finally had a lesson.

The big result from video and Trackman...his grip

When I took my lesson a few weeks ago, the pro didn`t insist on me changing the grip I have used for 3+ decades but he did notice my thumb on my lower hand was straying way too much around the shaft, asked me to bring it back to run right down the club, said by allowing my thumb around the shaft too often that thumb added to the issue of me pulling shots too often to the left. It wasn`t the only change I needed to make but he said I could change my swing plane and if I didn`t move that thumb I would still be pulling it.

As mentioned above, still learning the distances of my irons with the change in swing as I haven`t hit a ball this straight ever. Hitting my 7 iron consistently 165/170, PW about 150 now which is terrific.

Another issue I notice playing alongside others is on and around the greens, so many are way too loose with their wrist, too much hands. While I haven`t sunk much over the last two rounds, it hasn`t been due to making poor putts, just missing the mark and leaving balls on the lip but I rarely 3 putt and it`s not because I hit everything within 15 feet but because I typically leave lag putts in "gimmie" territory

I rarely use a club other than my 8 iron either around the greens, I can`t spin the ball so pulling out a wedge of any kind almost always leaves me short so I always take my 8 iron unless the lie is horrible and essentially hit it like my putter. Ball in the middle of my stance (which is more closed), I don`t lean the club forward I literally hit the ball like I am putting it and while my distance control is not perfect, the ball is almost always on a very good line and I watch my chips from start to finish to see the break, find too many hit their ball and stop watching

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Struggled to an 88 today. Some stupid mistakes and my putting was not as good as usual. Still mostly striking the ball well, though, especially off the tee. So that's a plus.

I play as a single often and have a Bruins bag, so I often get paired up with and get comments from Islanders and Rangers fans (and a Flyers fan once). Today I ended up joining a couple of guys, including one with a Patriots bag and playing a Red Sox ball. I was hoping to myself that this wasn't just random fan (like me) from around here. Nope, this gentleman grew up in Burlington and was a lifelong Bruins fan.

I usually don't like pairing up with strangers if I can help it, but if you're going to spend the round telling me stories about watching Bobby Orr and all those legendary Bruins teams, you can play with me any time.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I love those days, Donnie.

I may do that tonight by myself. Yesterday turned into a slog after the first three holes where I was feeling pretty good about myself

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Struggled to an 88 today. Some stupid mistakes and my putting was not as good as usual. Still mostly striking the ball well, though, especially off the tee. So that's a plus.

I play as a single often and have a Bruins bag, so I often get paired up with and get comments from Islanders and Rangers fans (and a Flyers fan once). Today I ended up joining a couple of guys, including one with a Patriots bag and playing a Red Sox ball. I was hoping to myself that this wasn't just random fan (like me) from around here. Nope, this gentleman grew up in Burlington and was a lifelong Bruins fan.

I usually don't like pairing up with strangers if I can help it, but if you're going to spend the round telling me stories about watching Bobby Orr and all those legendary Bruins teams, you can play with me any time.

I don`t have a Bruins bag, only a towel, head covers and ball markers, they all illicit responses from those I get paired up with. We get a ton of tourists here on the Island and the course I work at is busy so it`s not often a solo round happens. Caught up to some nice folks from Washington state last week, a father and his 15/16 year old daughter. Met them at the 10th tee where they looked exhausted and said they were grateful to have someone who knows the course playing with them.

While the course is fairly straight forward as far as knowing what`s in front of you or around this corner or that one, like every course, there`s spots you just don`t want to be and that sometimes applies to the fairway as well. They said they both shot around 47/48 on the front, I don`t know precisely what they shot on the back but it was considerably less. Both hit the ball very well, his daughter had a great swing but after hitting a few less than stellar shots you could see she had a bit of a temper. They had played a half dozen courses on the Island and said ours was the toughest test which it is, just a really good challenge. If you look at the scorecard you think it`s nothing special, but every hole presents it`s own challenge.

He was pretty excited about the NHL team in Seattle and looking forward to getting to some games. Real enjoyable to play with. Few weeks ago, played with a husband and wife from Switzerland, his English was terrific but his wife struggled with it, really nice couple. Played with a dude from Quebec a few months ago, grew up a die hard Habs fan but man was he livid and disgusted with his team in recent years, wasn`t one of those Hab fans who think his team could do no wrong or spew out the "do you know how many cups we have won" BS, it was fun hearing a fan so irate. Played a helluva game too, he rotated between playing the white tee`s and tips and I`m sure he played better from the tips.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don`t have a Bruins bag, only a towel, head covers and ball markers, they all illicit responses from those I get paired up with. We get a ton of tourists here on the Island and the course I work at is busy so it`s not often a solo round happens. Caught up to some nice folks from Washington state last week, a father and his 15/16 year old daughter. Met them at the 10th tee where they looked exhausted and said they were grateful to have someone who knows the course playing with them.

While the course is fairly straight forward as far as knowing what`s in front of you or around this corner or that one, like every course, there`s spots you just don`t want to be and that sometimes applies to the fairway as well. They said they both shot around 47/48 on the front, I don`t know precisely what they shot on the back but it was considerably less. Both hit the ball very well, his daughter had a great swing but after hitting a few less than stellar shots you could see she had a bit of a temper. They had played a half dozen courses on the Island and said ours was the toughest test which it is, just a really good challenge. If you look at the scorecard you think it`s nothing special, but every hole presents it`s own challenge.

He was pretty excited about the NHL team in Seattle and looking forward to getting to some games. Real enjoyable to play with. Few weeks ago, played with a husband and wife from Switzerland, his English was terrific but his wife struggled with it, really nice couple. Played with a dude from Quebec a few months ago, grew up a die hard Habs fan but man was he livid and disgusted with his team in recent years, wasn`t one of those Hab fans who think his team could do no wrong or spew out the "do you know how many cups we have won" BS, it was fun hearing a fan so irate. Played a helluva game too, he rotated between playing the white tee`s and tips and I`m sure he played better from the tips.
What course are you at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad