OT: Official Golf Thread II

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
I think I've finally made progress on curing my slice off the tee...

My grip on the club was far too low into my palm, leading to me having to over correct to square the clubface.

Huge progress made just by getting the grip more into my fingers.

Granted, I'm now closing the clubface a bit, and pulling the ball. But it's far better than my slice, and it's just a matter of practice at this point

Fix the Face, Fix the slice! I started really trying to pay attention to my order of steps in the down swing to keep my arms from coming down before I started my weight shift, has helped IMMENSLY to stop coming so far from the outside. Try to let the hipmove/weight shift start just as you've reach the top of the backswing for effortless swing speed without pulling your arms down, helping me learn to release the club properly and not Flip/Cast everything (Blocking to the right).

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Fix the Face, Fix the slice! I started really trying to pay attention to my order of steps in the down swing to keep my arms from coming down before I started my weight shift, has helped IMMENSLY to stop coming so far from the outside. Try to let the hipmove/weight shift start just as you've reach the top of the backswing for effortless swing speed without pulling your arms down, helping me learn to release the club properly and not Flip/Cast everything (Blocking to the right).
tenor.gif

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
been resting my back to ensure it`s ready for war on the links when my son comes tomorrow. Getting out to play 9 today , really won`t matter, for as much as I`m playing and as little as he is, he`s one of those golfers who can play once a month and seamlessly break 80

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Family scramble tournament is in a couple weeks, my team is playing a practice round Saturday. Lame to buy everyone a matching hat? Other ideas? Probably stopping by golf and ski on the way home from work travel.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Family scramble tournament is in a couple weeks, my team is playing a practice round Saturday. Lame to buy everyone a matching hat? Other ideas? Probably stopping by golf and ski on the way home from work travel.
Nothing wrong in my opinion with matching attire for competition. See the Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup. Team spirit baby!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I have a scramble at Mt Hood in a few weeks. My first time picking up a club since shoulder surgery last October! I think hats or visors is a great idea. We usually end up getting shirts for this one I’m playing in. With the usual fundraiser type stuff throughout the day.

Reactions: Flannelman

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

not lame at all, we set up a mini tournament a few years back, only 5 foursomes and we ordered everyone hats and golf balls with the Hacker`s Anonymous on them, was fun

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Most memorable shots of the year for you?

I had a crazy shot yesterday. 8th hole where I play is open. So I line up to hit my draw and try to put some extra oomph on it. I end up landing the ball on top of the bunker by the green... of another hole.

So I’m on hole 4, ball a good 18inches above my feet and I have a row of 40ft pines in front of me to get back to the 8th green. I’m about 190 out.

I play the ball forward in my stance 5” more than usual and I’m hoping that the 7 iron will get me over the trees and between the two bunkers before the green.

Smoked it boys. Landed the bastard on the green w a 33 foot birdie opportunity. I’ll remember that one for a while.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

I had a crazy shot yesterday. 8th hole where I play is open. So I line up to hit my draw and try to put some extra oomph on it. I end up landing the ball on top of the bunker by the green... of another hole.

So I’m on hole 4, ball a good 18inches above my feet and I have a row of 40ft pines in front of me to get back to the 8th green. I’m about 190 out.

I play the ball forward in my stance 5” more than usual and I’m hoping that the 7 iron will get me over the trees and between the two bunkers before the green.

Smoked it boys. Landed the bastard on the green w a 33 foot birdie opportunity. I’ll remember that one for a while.

I put a 4 hybrid onto the green from about 190 last month. Felt real good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

he`s such an arse

Can`t stand slow play but I`ll admit I`m one who tends to play quicker than most, I take 0 practice swings (that`s what the range is for) and on the greens I stand behind my ball and look at the line then address the ball and let er rip

Broke 80 yesterday with a 79 on my home course then ballooned to an 89 today on what is or should be a much easier course, couldn`t figure out the wind, wound up in 9 traps......not sure I`ve been in 9 the whole year, maybe I should play slower:sarcasm:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
he`s such an arse

Can`t stand slow play but I`ll admit I`m one who tends to play quicker than most, I take 0 practice swings (that`s what the range is for) and on the greens I stand behind my ball and look at the line then address the ball and let er rip

Broke 80 yesterday with a 79 on my home course then ballooned to an 89 today on what is or should be a much easier course, couldn`t figure out the wind, wound up in 9 traps......not sure I`ve been in 9 the whole year, maybe I should play slower:sarcasm:
I know the weird rounds.

Yesterday shot 44-38 82

Where was the back nine guy on the front?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Love to hear more about your (all) favorite shots you’ve had this year.

Last week a 44 for 9. Next day I couldn’t hit the drive at all until the 18th where I hit a low 3 wood 240 about 45 feet from the hole...

Hoping to find a range or a tight 9 hole course today or tomorrow morning while I’m on the road in western/central CT for meetings.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

beantown bullies

LOOOOOOCH
Jul 3, 2008
Boston
My job doesn’t let me get out as much as I used to in years past as I work 2:00-11:00 but I played a tournament back in the end of June where my favorite shot this year came from. Normally I am not the greatest putter but my group had a 25 foot down hill right-left breaker for birdie, I spotted a leaf on the right side about half way to the hole and used the leaf as my target as where the ball would break toward the hole. Right away I knew the putt had a chance had to fall and low and behold it dropped to give us the birdie! Not that it mattered as we lost the tournament by 5 strokes but hey a 25 foot birdie is still a 25 foot birdie!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know the weird rounds.

Yesterday shot 44-38 82

Where was the back nine guy on the front?

yep, but it also shows your the kind of player who can put a 9 that doesn`t meet your standards behind you.

I tend to be the same, wasn`t always this way which I think is fairly typical. When I was a junior golfer and single digit handicapper, I also had a temper, not necessarily the kind of temper where I`d toss clubs and make life miserable for playing partners but I had this internal combustion thing going on, just took me too long to put a bad hole or shot behind me. Not sure where or when I flicked the switch but once I did my game was for the better.

My son is down for a week and a half visit, hitting the courses all over the Island and having a blast hanging out, he too has a great ability to push aside a bad shot or hole. He has beaten me by 2 on day 1 then a mere 9 shots yesterday, nice guest, rolls in and rolls over the old man:laugh:

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Favorite shot this year-

My cousin and I went out and played 18 this past Saturday on a golf course we've never been to. Each of us also only go out so many times a year. I also rarely play 18. Usually just 9. And I'm usually in the late 40s early 50s through 9.

SO... We're on hole 9 at this course. a par 4 that's 286 yards. For the most part it's a straight shot to the hole. My cousin parks the ball dead center of the fairway, I would say it was about 70 yards out from the hole. Definitely closer to the red 100 yard marker than the pin.

Pulls out his PW, chips it, it takes one bounce off the edge of the green and rolls in. He gets his first eagle EVER.

He didn't have a good view of it but I had front row seats. I freaked out I was so happy. People around the hole we're just starring while we were jumping around. Pretty sure a few of them also had front row seats to the entire thing and didn't react... Lighten up people!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
been resting my back to ensure it`s ready for war on the links when my son comes tomorrow. Getting out to play 9 today , really won`t matter, for as much as I`m playing and as little as he is, he`s one of those golfers who can play once a month and seamlessly break 80
My son is like that too, though he plays more than that. Little shit.

Reactions: ODAAT

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Since I still have yet to play this year, don't have one for the year, but have one I'll always remember. I was 16 or so, playing a local course in the high desert of CA, and was just getting into golf. 2nd hole. Had hit my second shot way right (a common problem for me until relatively recently) off in the desert and weeds. I don't even know how far I was from the green, but hit a pure 8 iron to within 10 feet for a chance at par (which I actually made!). I think that was the shot that hooked me on golf.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
A couple of buddies and myself are heading to North Conway end of August and we're looking to play some golf, anybody have any suggestions for places to play? None of my buddies are nearly as serious about golf as I am (or good (I've played to about a 10 this summer)).

Thanks for anything!

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Didn’t play much this summer but in vacation for the next two weeks and played yesterday and today before leaving to Disney with the family on Thursday.

Had a nice 41-37-78 today and my 10y old son had his first under 100 game with an impressive 49-50-99. Amazed how much progress he made since starting to play last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad