[Official] Get your serving of crow with a piece of humble pie

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hey everyone. So I've been hanging around this board for some time now and I figure it's time to stop being a fly on the wall and join in on some of these awesome topics.

First I would just like to say I've been a die hard flames fan my entire life (yes, even through the Valeri Bure days) and a lifetime Calgarian and it's awesome to see the passion this board has for the flaming C.

I would have to say for me it's a gigantic serving for Poirier Pie. (Kind of surprised no else has mentioned this). I, like many other on this board, was irate with the fact that we passed on Shinkaruk for Poirier. However after I was done yelling at the TV someone posted a vid from youtube and my god what speed. Add to that a strong training camp and a torrid pace it start the year... boy was I wrong. Granted it is still very early on and Shinkaruk still may very well be the better player in the end, I am more and more impressed with this pick every day.

It hurts so good, i guess.
Welcome :)

And don't worry, it wouldn't be the first time a Flames fan was wrong. Just nobody tell Poirer that someone's eating his pie!

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I tried to think back on players I was critical and wrong about but I'm drawing a blank. I was/am most critical about Butler and I can't even smell the crow yet.

However it occurred to me that I did comment on how I had almost no expectations for this year's team to be successful and would be painful to watch. Success might be hard to gauge at this point, but this team is at .500 right now and has been far from painful to watch.

crow-on-the-cob.jpg

Yes. I too wasn't expecting this type of start to the season. I don't think anybody was.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Can we just say that Berra is the new Kipper and it's already a foregone conclusion that we'll he facing the Bolts in the SCF?

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Well I expected nothing less than the Art Ross, the Maurice Richard, the James Norris, The Calder Memorial, the Stanley Cup and the Vezina to all be Flames property, what do I eat? :sarcasm:

StanDarsh

Jan 24, 2012
I thought Mono was going to be a bust. I thought Flames would finish last, and I thought the Oilers would be a good team this year. I also thought the Oilers were rebuilding the right way by losing on purpose.....Ooops

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
I thought Backlund would play as poorly as last year and be done in the organization. He has looked good this year, he does a much better job of owning his ice.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I actually really like SOB. Not sure why everyone seems to rag on him. He plays relatively mistake free hockey in his limited minutes and seems like a great team guy. Plus, with guys like Russell, Smith, and Butler in the lineup, it's nice to have a goon type defensemen who isn't a defensive liability either. Seems like a win for both team because Sarich and Tanguay have been excellent for Colorado. Though I didn't care too much for what Sarich had to say about Hartley/Sutter:

"It was just the opinion of a coach. Or coaches," said Sarich, whose Flames were coached last season and still are by former Avs bench boss Bob Hartley. "The last two years, they didn't play me for a bit and then I come back and I was — not to toot my own horn or anything — but I was a really solid defenseman for our team. It just seems that the start of every season, it gets overlooked a little bit. So it's nice to have some people putting some faith in me again."

He pretty much got the ice time he deserved. I'm glad he's found his game, but he looked pretty damn slow out there the past couple of years with the Flames.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't know why anyone would need to eat crow for wanting Lindholm over Monahan. For one thing, it's been all of what, one sixth of a season? Secondly, and more importantly, its not as though the Flames had the choice between the two players; they didn't pass on Lindholm by taking Monahan. There's nothing to regret because the Flames didn't exactly have any options. One could make a case for needing to digest some crow if for example, they wanted Nichushkin over Monahan/Lindholm. Still flimsy, but it's better.

Anyway, Russell and Monahan are doing a lot better than I thought they would. I didn't think Monahan would stay beyond the nine game tryout but with the way he played, there was no way he could be sent down. I was skeptical over whether Giordano could rebound from his dismal play last year, but it looks like he took the captaincy to heart.

On the other hand, I thought Ramo would struggle and I was never a fan of the Bourque/Cammalleri trade. Ramo hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't exactly been good either.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know why anyone would need to eat crow for wanting Lindholm over Monahan. For one thing, it's been all of what, one sixth of a season? Secondly, and more importantly, its not as though the Flames had the choice between the two players; they didn't pass on Lindholm by taking Monahan. There's nothing to regret because the Flames didn't exactly have any options. One could make a case for needing to digest some crow if for example, they wanted Nichushkin over Monahan/Lindholm. Still flimsy, but it's better.

Anyway, Russell and Monahan are doing a lot better than I thought they would. I didn't think Monahan would stay beyond the nine game tryout but with the way he played, there was no way he could be sent down. I was skeptical over whether Giordano could rebound from his dismal play last year, but it looks like he took the captaincy to heart.

On the other hand, I thought Ramo would struggle and I was never a fan of the Bourque/Cammalleri trade. Ramo hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't exactly been good either.

I'm sure you had your reasons and I believe you. But in case you change your mind:
l1540991004.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Didn't even read why people should be eating crow.

I was pretty much dead on for everything. I liked the Tanguay trade, Russel trade ( in fact talked at length that it would be incredible if he found his offensive game again given a new lease), I was a huge fan of the Colborne trade (including telling the majority of you to stop listening to the Leafs fans and make your own opinions). I still think that Lindholm will be the better offensive star and true first line center Calgary could have used, and anyone who is using stats from less than a quarter of their first season as a comparison is clearly diluted and wadting their own breath (not unexpected). Plus Calgary didn't get a chance to draft him at the end of the day one way or another.

Overall, I've been happy. No crow or humble pie for this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 27, 2012
Earth

I was pretty much dead on for everything. I liked the Tanguay trade, Russel trade ( in fact talked at length that it would be incredible if he found his offensive game again given a new lease), I was a huge fan of the Colborne trade (including telling the majority of you to stop listening to the Leafs fans and make your own opinions). I still think that Lindholm will be the better offensive star and true first line center Calgary could have used, and anyone who is using stats from less than a quarter of their first season as a comparison is clearly diluted and wadting their own breath (not unexpected). Plus Calgary didn't get a chance to draft him at the end of the day one way or another.

This. Feaster has been questionable at points but lately he has been making good decisions with everything.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

You should consider becoming a gymnast. Those are some fantastic mental backflips you are performing there.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Didn't you say Stajan was useless at the start of last season?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just another poster using the humble pie thread to brag. :facepalm:

Anyway, regarding Monahan, there is some reason to eat crow at this point depending on why the person was criticizing him. For example, if someone was saying that Monahan didn't have the tools to ever be any kind of offensive force at the NHL level, but that he would be an elite 2 or 3C, then yeah, this pie is for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00