[Official] Get your serving of crow with a piece of humble pie

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Riiigght...

So any trade must equal a "good" trade? Not exactly a well reasoned arguement.

The point is, trading Iggy (with an expiring contract) for the best deal possible was a good deal. The alternative was getting nothing.

I have no idea what you are saying.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The point is, trading Iggy (with an expiring contract) for the best deal possible was a good deal. The alternative was getting nothing.

I have no idea what you are saying.

Feaster can't negotiate. I thought Morrow and Murray got a fair return from Pittsburgh

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
From the Boston incident maybe?

I'm not agreeing with anyone, but with Iggy having the NMC, Feasters hands were tied.

Anyways this is :deadhorse

This is true. Its beating a dead horse. But the only way Pittsburgh knew that Iggy would only play there is if Boston or Feaster told them. And only way Boston knew if Feaster told 'em. So either way Feaster opened his yap. Iggy isn't working the phones, that's why he has an agent. So that was completely on Feaster IMO

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
This is true. Its beating a dead horse. But the only way Pittsburgh knew that Iggy would only play there is if Boston or Feaster told them. And only way Boston knew if Feaster told 'em. So either way Feaster opened his yap. Iggy isn't working the phones, that's why he has an agent. So that was completely on Feaster IMO

My guess is Boston was pissed and called Pitts.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
My guess is Boston was pissed and called Pitts.

But who told Boston? Feaster.

If it was all but a done deal and all of a sudden Iggy refuses, Id tell Boston that Iggy wanted to play for either LA or Pitts. Or tell Boston anything. Tell them that ownership vetoed the deal!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
From the Boston incident maybe?

Timeline doesn't work. Chiarelli's press conference after the fact mentioned the Bruins thought they had a deal right until Feaster called and told them Iginla was going to Pittsburgh. It was only a little bit after the phone call to Boston that the Flames had their press conference saying the trade was complete.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
But who told Boston? Feaster.

If it was all but a done deal and all of a sudden Iggy refuses, Id tell Boston that Iggy wanted to play for either LA or Pitts. Or tell Boston anything. Tell them that ownership vetoed the deal!

Yea Feaster strikes me as a naive "honour" type guy. Just gets eaten alive in trade negotiations. Burke is the biggest shark in the sea. We needed him.. badly.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Before the preseason, me and a friend made one bold prediction for each team. Here are mine.

Anaheim: Getzlaf and Perry return to their point per game form. Perry scores 40+, Getzlaf is once again considered a top center in the league
Boston: Chara starts to show signs of ageing and wearing down from his style of play. Is no longer considered a top dman in the league
Buffalo: Makes the playoffs. Grigorenko proves he was a top prospect in his draft
Calgary: Baertschi wins the calder.
Carolina: Semin continues to evolve his defensive game, is a Selke candidate
Chicago: Toews has a very underwhelming season. Puts up about 50 points.
Colorado: MacKinnon struggles. 30-40 point season. Regardless, they are in the playoff race.
Columbus: Bobrovsky takes a step back, Columbus finishes in the bottom 10.
Dallas: Seguin and Benn are just ****ing magical together.
Detroit: Misses the playoffs
Edmonton: Almost makes the playoffs, but falls short by 1-2 points
Florida: After a brutal season, many fans lose interest. They struggle financially, and drop in attendance. Relocation talks begin the following offseason
LA: QUick has a disappointing season, but they still finish strong.
Minnesota: They take the division. Pominville becomes a huge threat to other teams.
Montreal: Briere rebounds, 50+ points
Nashville: Another brutal season, major lack of offense. Coach is fired.
Devils: Brodeur is relieved of the starter position by Christmas. Makes the playoffs because of Schneider
Islanders: Tavares scores 50 goals.
Ottawa: Lehner wins the starting position, Anderson is mentioned in trade talks.
Philadelphia: Lecavalier and Mason do very well, Flyers make playoffs
Phoenix: Doan requests a trade.
or is traded.
Penguins: Struggles due to goaltending, and the loss of several key players results in a near miss of the playoffs.
San Jose: Goes to the conference finals.
They win the presidents trophy, but are eliminated in the 1st round.
Tampa Bay: With Vinny out, the new era begins. St.Louis is traded towards the deadline
Toronto: Goes to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Nearly wins the division
Vancouver: Luongo has a stellar season, but the offense dries up. Sedins do poorly under Torts.
Washington: Ovechkin takes a step back again.
Winnipeg: Ladd puts up 70+ points. Still misses playoffs

Some are close, some are brutal.

As for just Flames predictions:

Again, I thought Baertschi would be doing much better.
I said a few times that Berra would be the starter for us by the end of the year. As of right now, that's looking to be correct.
I didn't think Ramo would do well. Still on the fence there.
I predicted Cammalleri would rebound and become a ppg guy again. So far, so good.
I predicted Colborne would step his game up after the trade, and seem to be correct.
I was way off on Russell, didn't think he'd be this good.
I thought Knight would make the Flames, that didn't happen.

I also predicted Billins would be the next coming of Bobby Orr. I was dead on.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
^^ Bold predictions serve some large dishes of crow. Kudos for effort, and some of which are pretty good.

Seguin and Benn certainly have made magic together.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Wow. I don't know what to say. I can't believe I'm here over Tim ****ing Jackman and a 6th round pick. I guess THERE WAS another deal in the works.

So I'll have a triple shot of bourbon to quench down this crow.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Wow. I don't know what to say. I can't believe I'm here over Tim ****ing Jackman and a 6th round pick. I guess THERE WAS another deal in the works.

So I'll have a triple shot of bourbon to quench down this crow.

Hold on, what was your initial prediction that you're now eating crow about?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I actually had Backlund written off before the season started. I don't know what Hartley did to him, but it worked.

crow-on-the-cob.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I actually had Backlund written off before the season started. I don't know what Hartley did to him, but it worked.

According to Backlund, not a whole lot.

And it was no different for Mikael Backlund, who was struggling mightily at the beginning of the season. Struggling to put up points. Struggling on the fourth line. Struggling, for one brief game in the press box versus the Toronto Maple Leafs, to stay in the lineup. Struggling with confidence.

So, smartly, he sought out some help.

“I talked to my coach at home, my personal trainer. He was here visiting me for a week,†Backlund said. “So, he was giving me a few tips, mentally and after the games, too. Another coach I work with, Darryl Belfry, a skills coach and playmaking coach. He works with Patrick Kane and a bunch of guys. Every couple weeks, I’ll get a video where he’ll tell me what I’ve done right.â€

After being jumped over by rookie Sean Monahan and Joe Colborne on Calgary’s depth chart at centre at one point during the road bump, he also consulted the team psychologist. Worked harder in the gym. Worked harder on the ice. Worked with Flames conditioning coach Domenic Pittis. Visiting with his dad, who was in town from Sweden for the Flames fathers’ trip, helped.

And Backlund’s self analysis? Simple — too much thinking.

“Pretty much right after that, it started clicking,†said the six-foot, 198-pound pivot who was Calgary’s first-round pick from the 2007 draft. “I obviously had meetings with the coaches here but it’s nice to have guys outside (of the team) that only focus on myself and look, personally, what I can get better at … it’s been paying off lately.â€

. . .

He brushed off the idea that his progress had coincided with the fact he was subject of trade speculation after TSN’s Darren Dreger reported on Nov. 22 via Twitter that four of five teams have “kicked tires†on Backlund and the Flames were “willing to move him.â€

At that point, he had only two goals and five assists in 22 games for the Flames.

Since that date, Backlund has scored points in six of 12 games, including three goals and three assists.

“I don’t know, I don’t know if it was a coincidence with (the trade rumours),†Backlund said. “Like I said, I had some good meetings around that time … my dad came in and he is a positive influence and I had really good talks with people that were close to me.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah but Backs has been doing this every season. He needs to have a season where his slump is the exception, not the opposite.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I still think his overall two way play has been really good, and for me, Backlund is a perfect 3rd line centre. And trading him won't net us a better return than that, so I want to keep him, as he's affordable, and is a good skater, and is one of our own draftees.

Is he living up to his pedigree? Not really, but I still think he is a totally ideal third line centre

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Backlund has been doing well lately, but he is still not more than your average third-line centre as of right now. For someone who, at the start of the season, thought I'd see a player eclipse 0.5ppg, I have no crow to be eaten.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Credit to Backlund for surrounding himself with quality people. But I do credit Hartley for making him work for it. The Oilers hand their rookies top 6 minutes, how's that going for them? Sven will be better for this to, mark my words.

I'm quite proud of Backlund, he's a hard worker and has a great attitude, it's all paying off now.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
The biggest thing that's been holding Backlund back IMO has been injuries. If he can play the rest of this season without being injured he'd play 80 games (first time playing more than 73) and is on pace for about 32 points (career high is 25). Sorry I'm sure my Math for his on-pace is a bit off, I just did an approx in my head.

Still not stellar by any means, but him having a career year on the worst Flames team in years does say alot. If he can stay healthy and consistent, he could finish an 82 games season with 40+ points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad