[Official] Get your serving of crow with a piece of humble pie

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I thought this would be a fun idea. We all say things and we all end up eating a huge helping of crow at one point or another. So let's dish up and laugh (or cry) are our bold statements or predictions.

On the menu is

300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg

and

CutestFood_com_5138265038_6f4936962f_z_large1.jpg

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I will start.

Kris Russell

Kris_Russell_20131011.png

I was very displeased with his acquisition and said he was going to be horrible defensively. So far Russell has come up huge and has been arguably out best defenseman.

Keep it up Kris, I am happy to be wrong.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I've never been wrong so I won't be posting in this thread much.

But I didn't expect Russell to be as great as he has been.

Actually Jones. I was wrong about Jones. So there is one. I have been wrong once.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I've never been wrong so I won't be posting in this thread much.

But I didn't expect Russell to be as great as he has been.

Actually Jones. I was wrong about Jones. So there is one. I have been wrong once.
Which Jones? Did you think Blair would be good or David would be bad? lol

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Biggest thing for me was that I was very optimistic about Shane O'Brien. Thought he could even be a top-4 guy for us.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't often post outright predictions or claims about players, so I have no crow to eat. I just wanted to post.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Jones and Colborne. Though the later I think still has some work cut out ahead of him to prove he's in the teams plans long term.

Glad to see I wasn't wrong about SOB though.

Aug 3, 2010
Jones and Colborne. Though the later I think still has some work cut out ahead of him to prove he's in the teams plans long term.

Glad to see I wasn't wrong about SOB though.
Does that even make sense? I mean... you'd rather feel good about the fact that you're correct about how poor of an acquisition SOB is, instead of wanting to see him turn it around and play the best hockey he's ever played?

I mean, that's kind of the point of the thread, is to eat crow when a player you dislike/had low expectations for would outperform and shine for the club, right?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I was wrong about Hudler. I thought he was going to be terrible but he is putting up points like crazy.
This is a beautiful idea for a thread.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I hated the Bouw trade. But now, we got a guy whos playing like a top 10 pick, Berra who was amazing tonight and Cundari who's doing great in the AHL

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well let's see.

I recall liking the Russell, Colborne, and Galardi trades
I recall not liking the Tanguay trade
I recall wanting a Berra/Ramo tandem to start the season
I recall not being a fan of Street eating a lot of ice time
I recall saying Poirer was skilled enough to be in the NHL
I recall thinking Monahan makes the team past 9 games (as well as the WJC being a good experience)

But I also said the Heat would challenge for a Calder, a Flame could win rookie of the year and that the Flames wouldn't make the playoffs and would challenge for the 1st overall. I also predicted Cammy, Stajan and Stemps traded at the deadline.

I didn't care for the Iggy + Jbow trades, but its way to soon to consider the pie on those returns. I've always liked Burke and Hartley. And I always thought that having both Jackman and McGrats was redundant. I've been critical of Backlund's offensive production. I think I too felt Gio would be captain.

So we'll see...

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't often post outright predictions or claims about players, so I have no crow to eat. I just wanted to post.

Does that even make sense? I mean... you'd rather feel good about the fact that you're correct about how poor of an acquisition SOB is, instead of wanting to see him turn it around and play the best hockey he's ever played?

I mean, that's kind of the point of the thread, is to eat crow when a player you dislike/had low expectations for would outperform and shine for the club, right?

:huh:

Bored?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues fan here, good to see Russell is doing well for you guys. He was always a likeable guy, we just didn't have enough room for him. He's pretty fast, and for his size he's not bad defensively. Definitely can be a little feisty and somewhat physical for his size at times. He's a really good shot blocker too.

Haven't been able to see the Flames yet this year though. Are him and Wideman the top pairing? Interesting to see two former Blues together.

Anyways I have always kind of liked Calgary and since we aren't in the same division I like when you guys do well. Hope they keep playing competitive.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Good timing, since mine was Berra. One game obviously does not a goalie make, but I expected a spectacular crash and burn when he was tried in the NHL. Kudos to him; I hope I continue regular servings of humble pie when it comes to his play.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Blues fan here, good to see Russell is doing well for you guys. He was always a likeable guy, we just didn't have enough room for him. He's pretty fast, and for his size he's not bad defensively. Definitely can be a little feisty and somewhat physical for his size at times. He's a really good shot blocker too.

Haven't been able to see the Flames yet this year though. Are him and Wideman the top pairing? Interesting to see two former Blues together.

Anyways I have always kind of liked Calgary and since we aren't in the same division I like when you guys do well. Hope they keep playing competitive.

They're the second pairing, technically, although Wideman's the team's TOI leader. Brodie/Giordano were getting the heaviest matchups before Gio went down, but Wideman/Russel have been worked quite a bit as well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They're the second pairing, technically, although Wideman's the team's TOI leader. Brodie/Giordano were getting the heaviest matchups before Gio went down, but Wideman/Russel have been worked quite a bit as well.
Ah, I gotcha. That makes sense. Brodie/Gio are two guys I find pretty underrated. Thanks.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well let's see.

I recall liking the Russell, Colborne, and Galardi trades
I recall not liking the Tanguay trade
I recall wanting a Berra/Ramo tandem to start the season
I recall not being a fan of Street eating a lot of ice time
I recall saying Poirer was skilled enough to be in the NHL
I recall thinking Monahan makes the team past 9 games (as well as the WJC being a good experience)

But I also said the Heat would challenge for a Calder, a Flame could win rookie of the year and that the Flames wouldn't make the playoffs and would challenge for the 1st overall. I also predicted Cammy, Stajan and Stemps traded at the deadline.

I didn't care for the Iggy + Jbow trades, but its way to soon to consider the pie on those returns. I've always liked Burke and Hartley. And I always thought that having both Jackman and McGrats was redundant. I've been critical of Backlund's offensive production. I think I too felt Gio would be captain.

So we'll see...

pf3e8.jpg

:sarcasm:

Aug 3, 2010
Well, I'm pretty sure you missed it. It's not to post whether you were right, it's to happily accept when you were wrong.

In other words, you want to be wrong in this thread.
Being right about SOB being bad goes against that.

Gosh, do we all have to explain to you how this works?

Also, yes, bored.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I never really understood that picture, and he's used for a lot of different messages. Is it because he's a young, street kid so its serious? Is he a wannabe?

But you guys' are right. Surely I must have been wrong about something. I was high on Corban Knight admittedly, but he is playing well in Abby, so its well justified thus far.

Wait, I got it! I was not a big fan of Ward's performance going into this year!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love pie and Crow tastes disgusting.

I won't single out any players but I will say the Flames are kind of playing how I expected. I don't think we'll make the playoffs but I think we'll surprise some people out there. It's a process and there's lots to be happy about.

I guess I can kinda eat crow on Monahan. I wanted him bad at first, but slightly changed my opinion to Lindholm right before the draft. I now would not change who we took for anything. Okay, maybe crow does taste good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->