[Official] Get your serving of crow with a piece of humble pie

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I never really understood that picture, and he's used for a lot of different messages. Is it because he's a young, street kid so its serious? Is he a wannabe?

The meme is "******* Steve." It's meant to refer to people being *******s in general. No offence, of course. :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The meme is "******* Steve." It's meant to refer to people being *******s in general. No offence, of course. :laugh:

Oh I see now. Yeah, I suppose that was a ***** move. There you go; I'll eat crow for thinking that posting all my correct predictions in the crow-eating thread was a good idea.

That doesn't feel so bad. I feel humbility (or whatever its called) already! In fact, I think everyone should eat crow at some point!

TheDebaser

May 1, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and say that Chris Butler might actually be good enough to be a real nhl player.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The 14 points that the Flames have is about 10 more points than I thought they would have. Nice to see them over achieve in October. Too many wrong predictions to list/remember them all.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'm not sure how far off I've been with my predictions but got at least 1 wrong

RI'm happy to be eating crow about saying Lindholm > Monahan at the draft. I had no idea how bad the 67's roster dragged down his offensive game and it wasn't until I had seen him close out the pre-season that I started to think he might actually put up points in the NHL.

Also had him with no shot at the Calder and #2 prospect behind Sven. Wrong on both counts thus far and I really don't see that prospect ranking changing. He has so much more potential to his game and is already very capable in the NHL. Almost every game I watch I just come away more impressed.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I was probably too harsh on Stempniak as a weak, inconsistent, and marginal winger. He's starting to remind me again of why I liked him when he was in St. Louis. He's still kind of a pushover though.. ;)

I can't really think of any other things I felt that strongly about that weren't true though.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
The only thing I'm eating crow about is the entire team in general. I did not think we'd be this competitive at all. I'm always hopeful and everyone is optimistic before the season starts, but I was ready for a horrific 30th place finish this year. I guess it's definitely still possible, but WOW are these guys fun to watch.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I was probably too harsh on Stempniak as a weak, inconsistent, and marginal winger. He's starting to remind me again of why I liked him when he was in St. Louis. He's still kind of a pushover though.. ;)

I can't really think of any other things I felt that strongly about that weren't true though.

It's a contract year - I knew he'd be playing well this year. I still don't think we should resign him. I'd be ok with a one year deal. Not a chance he signs that.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I was convinced Colborne was not an NHL quality player.

I thought Wotherspoon would play himself onto the team.

I actually expected the Oilers to be a better team than us this year, so that's good tastin crow. :laugh:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Same. I thought they were both fantastic prospects, and I was super happy the the Monahan pick, but yeah I had Elias over Money as well.
I'll eat crow on this one, as well. I liked Monahan early on (before the season) and throughout the season, but I wanted Lindholm and Barkov more (assuming we were going to be able to grab either of them). It wasn't a knock on Monahan, just what I wanted and I was happy with Monahan as a pick. Looking back on the draft and leading up to it, I'm very pleased we grabbed Monahan - even more now seeing him play the way that he is in this young season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I also thought Russell wasn't a great pick up. I didn't think it was bad for a 5th but I didn't think he had a lot to offer. Well let me be the first to say that I was terribly wrong. He has amazing hockey IQ and can skate like the wind. He has really helped replace the loss of Jbo.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Great thread. I'm enjoying reading everyone's pre-season predictions crumble.

Especially the one about the flames not being competitive.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like Russell more than I've ever liked Jay-Bo. :laugh::help:

Expectations?

When we got Jaybo he was suppose to become a top 10 defenseman who scored 40+ points a year and take us to the playoffs.

Russell was traded for a 5th round pick and most expected him to fit on the 3rd pairing.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Expectations?

When we got Jaybo he was suppose to become a top 10 defenseman who scored 40+ points a year and take us to the playoffs.

Russell was traded for a 5th round pick and most expected him to fit on the 3rd pairing.

Very true.

With expectations aside, I like Russell's game far more. He's feisty, skates very well and chips in offensively. JayBo was afraid of contact, skates very well and didn't chip in at all.

Plus the $1.5M price tag on Russell is nice. Also in a contract year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Very true.

With expectations aside, I like Russell's game far more. He's feisty, skates very well and chips in offensively. JayBo was afraid of contact, skates very well and didn't chip in at all.

Plus the $1.5M price tag on Russell is nice. Also in a contract year.

Yea I liked Jaybo more but given how cheap Russell is I think he is a better value. I'm hoping we re-sign Russell to play with Wideman for a few years.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Russell is perfect for Hartley in that he's great at blocking shots and has a fantastic first pass+ hockey IQ. Liked him from the start and glad to see him getting opportunities. He was awesome for med hat in his Jr days.

For me I honestly thought oilers would do better than us and I was scared of the times ahead. LOL nope.

This team is awesome to watch in that it never quits and plays as a team, circa 2004... Every expert had us in the finals that year :sarcasm:

GmOn3y

Nov 4, 2013
Hey everyone. So I've been hanging around this board for some time now and I figure it's time to stop being a fly on the wall and join in on some of these awesome topics.

First I would just like to say I've been a die hard flames fan my entire life (yes, even through the Valeri Bure days) and a lifetime Calgarian and it's awesome to see the passion this board has for the flaming C.

I would have to say for me it's a gigantic serving for Poirier Pie. (Kind of surprised no else has mentioned this). I, like many other on this board, was irate with the fact that we passed on Shinkaruk for Poirier. However after I was done yelling at the TV someone posted a vid from youtube and my god what speed. Add to that a strong training camp and a torrid pace it start the year... boy was I wrong. Granted it is still very early on and Shinkaruk still may very well be the better player in the end, I am more and more impressed with this pick every day.

It hurts so good, i guess.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I tried to think back on players I was critical and wrong about but I'm drawing a blank. I was/am most critical about Butler and I can't even smell the crow yet.

However it occurred to me that I did comment on how I had almost no expectations for this year's team to be successful and would be painful to watch. Success might be hard to gauge at this point, but this team is at .500 right now and has been far from painful to watch.

crow-on-the-cob.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3