Official 2015 tank thread III: Edmonton won!! I repeat, Edmonton won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bps21*

That came packaged with a guaranteed lottery win before they move to the highest bidder in 2 years when they reach the needed revenue loss to break the lease.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
I'll take being 7 points back at the new year after our stupid win streak earlier. Just imagine, if we went .500 instead of 10 wins out of 12 games or something, we'd be in last even with Edmonton's super collapse.

Here's to hoping the month if January is great for the tank. Huge away games this month, @NJ, @Carolina, @EDM. 3 losses there would be huge

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not sure if this was posted but the BOG approved the Arizona majority sale. Management should know in a few weeks the direction they will be allowed to take. The worst thing for us would be hearing that Maloney was fired or resigned as that would likely signal the start of a full fledged rebuild.

yeah I'm happy for Arizona but don't OK the rebuild please..

That came packaged with a guaranteed lottery win before they move to the highest bidder in 2 years when they reach the needed revenue loss to break the lease.

Honestly though, given the price he paid for the team....it has to be to relocate the team. Nobody would pay that much to keep the team in a market that has proven it can't support the team.

It's scary for the tank nation if you think about it. Burroway can really strip the team bare, make it just awful. He doesn't need to worry about keeping the fanbase happy because he's moving the team. Not only that, the worse he is, the faster he can relocate. And if he succeeds in tanking down to the bottom this year, he'll get a ready made franchise player to move to his new market with.

It'll be interesting to see how much he can ship out and stay above the floor.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Look at the gap the bottom 5 teams have in terms of games under .500

Edmonton: 14 games under .500
Carolina: 13 games under .500
Buffalo 7 games under .500
NJ: 6 games under .500
Arizona 5 games under .500

Philadelphia 2 games under .500
Colorado 1 game under .500

Last year, 5 games under .500 got you the 4th overall pick. .500 got you the 6th overall pick

It's not unrealistic to think Buffalo could finish with under 70 pts and be picking 5th overall. Edmonton picked 3rd overall @ 67 pts.

Given the season is near about 1/2 way done, going to project out the rest of the season:

January: 12 games, 8 on the road.

Projection: 3-7-2

17-28-5

Feb 13 games, 5 on the road

Projection 6-5-2

24-34-6

March: 13 games, 9 on the road, and post trade deadline. Really expecting a divebomb here.

Projection: 3-9-1

27-43-7

April: 6 games, 2 on the road

2-2-2

For a projected final record of

28-44-10, 66 pts, picking 3rd overall

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Our best hope is that we don't win more than 1 out of every 3 games. If we can maintain that, we would finish around 60 points.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I made a nice little spreadsheet about the Sabres McEichel sweepstakes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17hn4UYpEQ8YNg7nnXu57yiNL21ezJMKehag6FfX--fg/edit?usp=sharing

Turns out our tank is in a counter-intuitively decent shape, unless I've made a mistake there somehwere. :)

I actually did the same thing the other night haha

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12U6oi5oZZk0TXlq3k7DcWr4ItcjORUr2s-N7AgkSJK0/edit?usp=sharing

I expanded mine out for Hanfin and 4th (aka 3rd best forward) as well. Also used both the weighted and 50/50 methods from the same site.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I actually did the same thing the other night haha

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12U6oi5oZZk0TXlq3k7DcWr4ItcjORUr2s-N7AgkSJK0/edit?usp=sharing

I expanded mine out for Hanfin and 4th (aka 3rd best forward) as well. Also used both the weighted and 50/50 methods from the same site.
Nice, I was too lazy to do Hanifin. :) Imho, it doesn't make much sense to use the 50/50 method though.

Also, the odds are marginally higher, because there's a chance either NYI or STL don't make the play-offs, but I'm way too lazy to crunch those numbers.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Nice, I was too lazy to do Hanifin. :) Imho, it doesn't make much sense to use the 50/50 method though.

Also, the odds are marginally higher, because there's a chance either NYI or STL don't make the play-offs, but I'm way too lazy to crunch those numbers.

Oh good point. I just made a new tab on mine with those included. Only really raises values around 0.5%. Wish I knew more of the weighted formula besides "The weighted method takes the opponents record and home field advantage into account when randomly picking scores, so the better team is more likely to win."

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Cool
Weekly updates?
I'm probably going to update it all the time for myself. BTW, just added Hanifin + McEichanifin and NYI+STL.

If I stop updating it, anyone can download the spreadsheet (File->Download as) and just write in the new sportsclubstats.com odds for BUF/STL/NYI in the McDavid sheet (columns B, C and D) and all the pie charts will change automatically. :)

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
So Drew Stafford should be able to get us a late 1st rounder if Perron did, identical numbers... We couldnt have traded Stafford to play with his old friend Crosby for the same package?

I guess that extra year makes a difference.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
So Drew Stafford should be able to get us a late 1st rounder if Perron did, identical numbers... We couldnt have traded Stafford to play with his old friend Crosby for the same package?

I guess that extra year makes a difference.

It makes a pretty sizable difference. Half a year versus a year and a half of a player changes the price. Stafford might be able to pull a late first if a team gets desperate, but as we saw last year, most teams are loathe to part with a top-30 pick for a rental. (The market was much different the year Goose pulled one.)

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
If Perron can get a 1st, Stafford can as well hopefully.

Edmonton is all in on the tank early. C'mon Tim, don't get left behind

Stafford is UFA this summer. I'll take a 2nd rounder for him and be happy.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'll take being 7 points back at the new year after our stupid win streak earlier. Just imagine, if we went .500 instead of 10 wins out of 12 games or something, we'd be in last even with Edmonton's super collapse.

Here's to hoping the month if January is great for the tank. Huge away games this month, @NJ, @Carolina, @EDM. 3 losses there would be huge

It spends on the health of the team. If the Zads, Risto, and especially myers stay healthy then the team will likely be competitive again. This recent skid is due to Myers AND Risto being injured forcing Benoit to play major minutes.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I wonder if Perron wanted out of Edmonton.

That return is a little sad.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Perron was playing like crap in EDM this year. I don't think this deal is going to hurt the Oilers one iota in the short term.

It will, however, help the Pens a lot.

I'd say this deal is a win for the Sabres.

Won't change the situation in EDM but improve Pens chances of defending the division crown.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I also have to wonder if perron requested out. Probably unnecessary from a tank perspective if not. Unless they're absolutely married to putting hall on eichels wing and don't want to flirt with Carolina for it. Just hope they can pull an islanders next offseason and show they could replace the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad