Official 2015 tank thread III: Edmonton won!! I repeat, Edmonton won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Perron was playing like crap in EDM this year. I don't think this deal is going to hurt the Oilers one iota in the short term.

It will, however, help the Pens a lot.

I'd say this deal is a win for the Sabres.

Won't change the situation in EDM but improve Pens chances of defending the division crown.

I don't watch the oilers enough to confirm or deny, but he put up 57 points last year and was fourth on the team in scoring this year so far. How much of a liability was he away from the pick that they actually don't miss his offense?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Everytime I watched EDM this year, Perron looked like he was in a freaking coma.

I'll be that he puts up impressive numbers with Malkin/Crosby in Pitt but he was almost addition by subtraction for EDM.

If you're a Sabre fan, you should celebrate this deal. Doesn't hurt EDM, helps Pitt, and hurts other playoff bound teams (like St. Louis and Isles).

Milos*

Everytime I watched EDM this year, Perron looked like he was in a freaking coma.

I'll be that he puts up impressive numbers with Malkin/Crosby in Pitt but he was almost addition by subtraction for EDM.

If you're a Sabre fan, you should celebrate this deal. Doesn't hurt EDM, helps Pitt, and hurts other playoff bound teams (like St. Louis and Isles).

That's a bit of a twisted way of putting things. You're triyng to find a brightside on a trade in which there is none. Blues are in another conference, Perron is not going to make the Isles go from playoff contention to a high draft pick, and by saying it's addition by subtraction for the Oilers is absurd. Rose colored glasses indeed. Perron was useful, one of the few players that would drive to the net. You shouldn't try to spin it in a way that isn't reality...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Getting back to us, tonight is a must-lose. I don't think highly of our chances tomorrow night at NYR. The Rags have tonight off and should be well-rested. If we can drop tonight in regulation, we could be on our way into a nice little slump heading into the really-must-lose matchups at the Devils and Carolina.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
As for the Perron trade, I don't like it for our tank, obviously. He was one of the guys I thought would start regressing to the mean. He hasn't had lower than a 12% shooting percentage since 2008-09, and he's under 7% this year. He struck me as a guy who could start scoring a lot more when the games didn't matter anymore, which would help Edmonton earn some cheap points. Not good for us.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
That's a bit of a twisted way of putting things. You're triyng to find a brightside on a trade in which there is none. Blues are in another conference, Perron is not going to make the Isles go from playoff contention to a high draft pick, and by saying it's addition by subtraction for the Oilers is absurd. Rose colored glasses indeed. Perron was useful, one of the few players that would drive to the net. You shouldn't try to spin it in a way that isn't reality...

I'm an Islander fan! What makes you think I want to spin ANYTHING to make folk here feel better about their draft pick situation? If anything, I'd rather feel better about what the Isles gave up.

However, I do think this deal works to Buffalo's advantage. I don't think Perron was helping the Oilers one bit, I do think he could help Pitt defend the division title (which will help your pick) and I also think that eastern teams being stronger has implications for how far St. Louis can go in the playoffs (which does influence their pick).

So, my position still stands. I think this is a good deal from a Buffalo perspective.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
As for the Perron trade, I don't like it for our tank, obviously. He was one of the guys I thought would start regressing to the mean. He hasn't had lower than a 12% shooting percentage since 2008-09, and he's under 7% this year. He struck me as a guy who could start scoring a lot more when the games didn't matter anymore, which would help Edmonton earn some cheap points. Not good for us.

He just looked so disinterested to me. I really don't think EDM is going to miss him at all.

The only negative in this deal I can see from a Buffalo perspective is maybe it makes it less likely that Pitt will ask about Stafford or something like that.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
He just looked so disinterested to me. I really don't think EDM is going to miss him at all.

The only negative in this deal I can see from a Buffalo perspective is maybe it makes it less likely that Pitt will ask about Stafford or something like that.

I agree... gotta think that a less talented guy playing his ass off to get his next contract will probably be better than a guy who wants out.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I think the games stopped mattering a long time ago for Edmonton. Perron just seemed like a guy who didn't dig playing in Edmonton. I'm hoping its addition by subtraction, getting a malcontent out and getting assets in return is a huge win for Edmonton.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He just looked so disinterested to me. I really don't think EDM is going to miss him at all..

In the end it was the Oil's Paajarvi for Pen's 2015 1st rounder. We'll call that a push from an asset management perspective.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
In the end it was the Oil's Paajarvi for Pen's 2015 1st rounder. We'll call that a push from an asset management perspective.

A push? Paajarvi has been a huge disappointment after his rookie year in Edmonton. He's an AHL level forward now. That's a huge win asset management-wise for Edmonton, IMO.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
A push? Paajarvi has been a huge disappointment after his rookie year in Edmonton. He's an AHL level forward now. That's a huge win asset management-wise for Edmonton, IMO.

Huge win if McTavish and Lowe or whoever is running that farce called a hockey organization can uncover a gem with a late first round pick, which is highly questionable if past performance is predictive of future results.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Huge win if McTavish and Lowe or whoever is running that farce called a hockey organization can uncover a gem with a late first round pick, which is highly questionable if past performance is predictive of future results.

Like Adam for Pit 1st. That's what you're arguing against. Regardless of EDM's draft record.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Edmonton, until this point, wasn't even trying to tank. Let it sink for a minute.

Maybe we are looking right now at the greatest tank ever. A truly unstoppable force.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Like Adam for Pit 1st. That's what you're arguing against. Regardless of EDM's draft record.

It's the 800 lbs gorilla in the future's room. It's kind of hard to ignore , especially considering they just traded a 10th pick overall to get a shot at the 30th pick overall several years later if you really want to get technical.

My good friend Tommy Fucillo would hardly call that a "huge" win, and I defer to him on all matters huge.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Edmonton, until this point, wasn't even trying to tank. Let it sink for a minute.

Maybe we are looking right now at the greatest tank ever. A truly unstoppable force.

What if they tank, Carolina still comes in dead last and Buffalo wins the lottery?
That would slot Edmonton 3rd over all I believe. Not much of an effort given considering they've been near or at the bottom for a bit now.

If someone were to bring forth a bribe attempt on the lottery officials while behind closed doors, well then, I'll say it's the greatest attempt at a tank ever. The point is, none of us know where that 1st over all is going to land, yet..........

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
What if they tank, Carolina still comes in dead last and Buffalo wins the lottery?
That would slot Edmonton 3rd over all I believe. Not much of an effort given considering they've been near or at the bottom for a bit now.

Honestly if that happened I'd believe they'd be a better team in 5 years. Even if they get McDavid and find a quality goalie, I don't see them doing anything more than a 1st round sweep. If you look at when some of the current contending teams finally turned it around, it also coincides with a great defensemen emerging... Doughty, Keith, Pietrangelo, Hedman, Letang, Green (and the falloff when the last two haven't been as great). I'm sure there's other factors too, but Nurse alone won't do it for them.

Bps21*

Decent chance that by the end of the night the difference between us and last place will be shootout wins.

Shootout points. The pretend good.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Edmonton is on pace for 57 points this season.

And they've just now thrown in the towel and decided to actively tank.

We're never catching them.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

If they win tonight and Florida finishes us off there will only be a 5 point gap...anything can happen.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The best hope IMO is that the Hurricanes start winning and the Sabres can get into 2nd place. And then get some lotto luck to remain top 2.

I just don't think the Oilers are gonna be caught. That team just has so many issues...

Bps21*

Again...even with all of those problems...if shoot out points weren't so lopsided we'd be them

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo

Please. We've been actively tanking since 2013/14. So what?

Their streak of bad luck will end with or without Perron.

Also, a linear projection based on the points they currently have just shows that they currently have less points than the Sabres. :) It doesn't mean that they will continue losing at the exact same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad