Official 2015 tank thread III: Edmonton won!! I repeat, Edmonton won!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, let's talk about the importance of the last game of the month and the month of January.

So far, the foundation of our tank was laid in Oct, with a record of 2-8-1.

It seemingly continued into November, however, we finished November with a record of 8-14-2, meaning we went 6-6-1 in November.

While not .500 isn't tank busting, IT ISN'T REALLY TANKING NOW IS IT?

Now, December rolls to a close, and we are 14-20-3....or 6 games under .500. Thats 6-6-1 so far in December. A win on Wednesday, and thats above .500 hockey for the month of Dec. NOT COOL.

However, hope springs eternal, fellow tankites. 8 out of 12 games in January....ON THE ROAD. 4 games in 6 nights on the road after our game with Florida, then 3 games in 4 nights on the road to close the month. We could really see some forward tank movement. 3-4 games under .500 for January would really prime us for the trade deadline and pack it in season. Last thing this team needs is to sniff .500 for another month and get some hope.

Did you know the words 'playoffs' were mentioned by the team this month? IN A NON IRONIC FASHION? That will not do! Let's get this thing BACK ON TRACK. Remember, when it comes to finishing last overall, remember your ABC's and 123's

Anyone
But
Carolina

AND

1, 2, 3 1ST OVERALL PICKS IS ENOUGH EDMONTON. GIVE IT A REST ALREADY.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
With injuries mounting, a tough road schedule, Carolina getting a bit healthier, EDM making anti-tank moves is all positive developments for the tank. Bring on 29th! :yo:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington 3m3 minutes ago
#Sabres to face backup? RT @TBTimes_JSmith: #tblightning have recalled Andrei Vasilevskiy from @SyracuseCrunch. Will join team in Buffalo

Looks like another backup/AHL goalie coming at the Sabres, though Vasilevskiy is better than most backups/AHL 'tenders.

ZeroPT*

Looks like another backup/AHL goalie coming at the Sabres, though Vasilevskiy is better than most backups/AHL 'tenders.

He's not a back up though. He was absolutely dominant in his earlier games.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He's not a back up though. He was absolutely dominant in his earlier games.

He's certainly better than Nabokov at this stage, so that's good. Still, I'd prefer to see Bishop, who has great career numbers vs Buffalo (5-0-1, .926 SV%).

ZeroPT*

He's certainly better than Nabokov at this stage, so that's good. Still, I'd prefer to see Bishop, who has great career numbers vs Buffalo (5-0-1, .926 SV%).

Sure but he's no Poulin. Or any regular back up for that matter

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
how nice would it be to leap frog the Oilers on January 29th for last place.

Possible?

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
We should be riding neuvirth into the ground right now. All back-to-back games, plus every game on days ending in d-a-y. No way he could steal that many games like Enroth.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
We should be riding neuvirth into the ground right now. All back-to-back games, plus every game on days ending in d-a-y. No way he could steal that many games like Enroth.

Or Hackett....throw him into the fire to test the injury :)

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
how nice would it be to leap frog the Oilers on January 29th for last place.

Possible?

Possible, but not probable.

Edmonton and Buffalo have 12 games from now till Jan 29. It would take Edmonton winning 4 more games (8 more points) than us, so something "realistic":

EDM: 6-6-0
BUF: 2-10-0

If we are within 4 points of last by the end of January, I'll be happy. Right now, we're 8 back. A win against us on the 29th would be 6 back with identical records, so I don't think hoping for 1 more win from them over our record is asking much (well...)

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
We just need to continue rolling with the same d we used against ottawa. Instant tank.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Edmonton looked like a different team today under their new coach After Mac quit. Lots of potential now

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Edmonton looked like a different team today under their new coach After Mac quit. Lots of potential now
I've only seen a few of their games, but they kind of looked the same as they always have.

They can appear dominant when their top line is out and they're playing in the offensive zone, only for some Oilers defenseman to have a random hiccup a minute later that results in a conceded goal.

Also, for some reason Scrivens reminds me of a hyper U-18-level goalie in his mannerisms. He just doesn't instill confidence. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I've only seen a few of their games, but they kind of looked the same as they always have.

They can appear dominant when their top line is out and they're playing in the offensive zone, only for some Oilers defenseman to have a random hiccup a minute later that results in a conceded goal.

Also, for some reason Scrivens reminds me of a hyper U-18-level goalie in his mannerisms. He just doesn't instill confidence. :laugh:

They outplayed LA until they went up 2-0. At that point, like many bad/mediocre teams, they sat on the lead and let LA take it to them. Let's hope Tampa can take care of us tonight and the Oilers can steal a win in Calgary, at which point we'd only be up six on Edmonton heading into a month where we play 2/3 of our games on the road where we suck.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They outplayed LA until they went up 2-0. At that point, like many bad/mediocre teams, they sat on the lead and let LA take it to them. Let's hope Tampa can take care of us tonight and the Oilers can steal a win in Calgary, at which point we'd only be up six on Edmonton heading into a month where we play 2/3 of our games on the road where we suck.

This would be so great...it would make a tank believer out of me again, after giving up a few weeks ago. Six point gap with over half season to go...could definitely be worse.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This would be so great...it would make a tank believer out of me again, after giving up a few weeks ago. Six point gap with over half season to go...could definitely be worse.

What gives me hope is that on January 25, 2014 (last season), we were virtually ahead of Edmonton. We had 35 pts in 50 games while they had 36 pts in 53 games. From there, they earned 14 more points than us in 3 fewer games, and finished 15 pts ahead of us. It's not over.

Another good sign: since relieving Fasth in Calgary, Scrivens has stopped 57 of 60 shots (.950). Perhaps he's starting to show signs of life. Baby steps.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Let's hope Tampa can take care of us tonight and the Oilers can steal a win in Calgary, at which point we'd only be up six on Edmonton heading into a month where we play 2/3 of our games on the road where we suck.
Amen to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad