Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Should've traded Domi.

He apparently had a NMC & wouldn't have waived it to too many teams. If I recall correctly it was like a team or so & one them weren't in real contention this year.

He pretty much forced his way to London during his OHL draft year by refusing to play for anybody but them after Kingston drafted him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Makes sense. I wonder if the Sharks would send Bergman back for another year. He's a 95.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Makes sense. I wonder if the Sharks would send Bergman back for another year. He's a 95.

He signed his ELC already so they'd have to be willing to burn a year off it with him playing there.

I guess there's some small glimmer of hope that an NHL team would assign Werenski there after being drafted. Jones & Thachuk are better bets though. Jones being their first round pick last year & having a brother who plays in the OHL who's been rumored to be heading to London soon as well. Thachuk's a late birthday who's not committed to any college right now, apparently had to give up his committment at Notre Dame because of something academic related.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I can't check capgeek, but I think with Bergman being a late birthday his contract might slide. I think this was the case with Tatar. Someone might know better than me. I would think he would play in the AHL next year anyway, but part of me thinks maybe London knows something or they would have traded him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Meier with 4 assist tonight.

For those who want to see a great assist, go to the prospects section and click on him.

Think back to Ovechkin's goal on his back against the Yotes, well Timo's assist was like that.

Sorry Appleyard....he is going to be a 1st rounder instead of a steal later on. Lol.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I can't check capgeek, but I think with Bergman being a late birthday his contract might slide. I think this was the case with Tatar. Someone might know better than me. I would think he would play in the AHL next year anyway, but part of me thinks maybe London knows something or they would have traded him.

I don't know but what I read most assume he won't be back next year. He's an import so sometimes those guys are harder to trade since you're limited with two spots for them. He may have had trade protection as well. He'd take up an import & an overage spot next year as well which teams sometimes don't really like doing. They may value having the two import spots open for this upcoming import draft since they always get good players.

They seemed to not want to blow it up anyway. I think they wanted the playoff experience for the younger guys. They traded McCarron & Mermis because they were expandable & it recouped some picks for the upcoming years. They got Sterk back as well who can come close to replacing McCarron's production as well as he's an overager option next year. Mermis wasn't anything & they had a log jam on defense, his trade opened up more playing time for their younger defender's.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah I know imports are tricky.

Erie's PP is ridiculous. Could probably score a few against our PK. :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Marner didn't standout much offensively last night but he did defensively for me. He was getting down blocking shots & always hustling back on the back check. Some guys might not do those things with his skillset.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Man with mason down for who knows how long, I can see us picking 6th. And I was on the no to trade coburn club, but his game today, I would like to join the trade coburn group and keep Schultz. So that would get hexy and his scouts more flexibility.
Yah Marner sounds like what would quickly add a quality top 6 forward to our cupboard. I think we are now in the zacha,strome,kylington wheelhouse.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Marner didn't standout much offensively last night but he did defensively for me. He was getting down blocking shots & always hustling back on the back check. Some guys might not do those things with his skillset.
He made a great one-on-one play defending a SH chance while playing the point on the PP. Looked better than some of the defensemen we trot out.

London never had the puck and he still finished with 2 assists and +1.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He made a great one-on-one play defending a SH chance while playing the point on the PP. Looked better than some of the defensemen we trot out.

London never had the puck and he still finished with 2 assists and +1.

McDavid made some nice defensive plays as well. He stuffed Domi on back to back rushes while trying to gain entry on the PP. Although Domi was pretty brutal last night.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Marner plays the same brand of D as Giroux. That is, he doesn't have terrific defensive instincts like a Bergeron or Couturier, but he's a battler in his own zone and does a good job at the "hard work" type stuff like making stick checks and fighting for position. As he develops, I can see his two-way game developing like Giroux's did to the point where he actually becomes quite effective even if he doesn't start out as a trusted player in the D zone like some do.

Most everything about his game reminds me of Giroux, to be honest.

EDIT: There was also one play late in the game when it was 6-1 where Marner got stood up and got very frustrated, and when the play turned back the other way, he was so angry he skated even harder to break the play up. That's the kind of stuff I love to see out of young players. Channeling frustration in positive ways is huge.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Don't know if you guys ever watched this tsn special on the Pens tank, but here it is:

http://vimeo.com/101892039

I think this team could get to 4th last, catching Sabres, Oilers and Hurricanes would be tough.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
But with zona going to do some selling, and New Jersey as well, I don't think we have enough to catch them. The team picking 4th will end up with Marner or hanifan. Picking 5th would be a terrible spot for us, missing out on mcdavid,eichel,hanifan,Marner, well stuff happens, but why does it happen to us. Unless zona or New Jersey pulls a surprise, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
5 wouldn't be bad. 6 would be bad. I see a pretty clear top 5. I'll take 6th over 11 again though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I would be quite happy with Rantanen.

I was really impressed with him at the WJC. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going in the 2nd half of his season in Finland. I look forward seeing him play again later this season at the U-18.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was thinking...near the draft...we should have a thread called Posters vs Hextall.

Then, for those guys who really follow the draft and players could put in who they would take with our picks when it is our turn to pick. Then we could look back on it over time and see who we would have taken and others would see it as well.

Might be a bit hard to do though based on how fast the non 1st rounder get picked.

Just an idea.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was really impressed with him at the WJC. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going in the 2nd half of his season in Finland. I look forward seeing him play again later this season at the U-18.

He's too old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad