Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
No one stands out in the 6-8 range, but in particular, none of the forwards are really exciting at this point in that conversation.

I like Provorov, Kylington, and J. Roy (though I have only watched Kylington I think once) more than any other forwards in that range save for maybe Zacha. Rantanen's there, too, I guess. But I'm more excited about those three defenders than I am anyone else for now (excluding the big 5).

It'll be tough to not take a skilled forward, but if no one makes a stand out case for a selection, I have no problem going for D again.

But then it becomes a priority for me to target Bracco (or Meier) with a late 1st/early 2nd presuming we get one for Coburn or someone else.

EDIT: Dark horse for now is also Travis Konecny. If he can come on hot in the second half, I wouldn't be opposed to taking him, either.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Another team could also take Crouse that high. And I doubt we end up better than 6th. That's where we'd pick if the season finished now, unless a team ranked above us won the lottery and pushed us down to 7th.

But I'm used to the player I want getting picked before the Flyers get a chance to take him after Ristolainen and Milano.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think the Flyers made out just fine with Morin and Sanheim. I don't have a good feeling about Milano.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Another team could also take Crouse that high. And I doubt we end up better than 6th. That's where we'd pick if the season finished now, unless a team ranked above us won the lottery and pushed us down to 7th.

But I'm used to the player I want getting picked before the Flyers get a chance to take him after Ristolainen and Milano.

It really depends on what us & the Devils do going forward with our/their rosters but I wouldn't rule out the 5th overall pick. Severson should be coming back in these next couple of weeks so the Devils should get a boost on their backend.

I would agree though that the top 4 seems pretty unlikely at this point.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Hell I could definitely see the Flyers being one of those teams that really like Crouse enough to use a top 5 pick on him.

Agreed. They'll be tempted by his size and his untapped ability. The projected upside might be too tempting for them. I'm wondering though if Hextall will go for the safer approach in the sense that they've already taken two rather big projects (Morin, Sanheim) and that a third might be too much, especially if they're choosing in the top third of the draft.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Agreed. They'll be tempted by his size and his untapped ability. The projected upside might be too tempting for them. I'm wondering though if Hextall will go for the safer approach in the sense that they've already taken two rather big projects (Morin, Sanheim) and that a third might be too much, especially if they're choosing in the top third of the draft.

Hextall during his press conference said you build down the middle and in the salary cap world one position has to get devalued and for him it was on the wing. His drafting history with LA reaffirms that as the highest they ever took a winger was 30th overall. The Kings were also able to find very good wingers in round 2. How much of that was Lombardi versus Hextall, who knows? However I'll take him at his words so I don't think the Flyers will pick a winger in the top 10. My money would be on a center or defender with defenders probably being the highest ranked prospects when the Flyers pick.

TerrapinFlyers

Dec 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I really wouldn't call Sanheim a project. D usually take a lot longer to develop but Morin and Sanheim shouldn't take longer than anyone else. If they were the same players and came from Europe I'd call them projects because they'd have to get used to the ice size. What makes you think of these two as projects? Just curious because I see them as our two best prospects and really think Morin gets half the season with the big club next year.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be more than happy if we come away with Pavel Zacha with our pick. I'd love as much as anyone to get one of the top five guys but Zacha could be just what we need in our offense. If turns into another Voracek like player we'd be set.

DornyDude

Jan 12, 2015
If we’re picking around 8th or so and miss out on Marner, I’d prefer we double down on D by selecting Provorov. Watched him play against the Hitmen on SN a few days ago and was struck by the kid’s poise and confidence on the backend. I think he’d be a tremendous addition to our growing stable of defensive prospects. He isn’t as flashy as Sanheim or Ghost nor an intimidating physical presence like Morin but he’s no less impressive than any of those guys. I would compare him to a bigger, more physical version of Kimmo. You take him for granted back there because he rarely screws up, yet his offensive skills (currently second in scoring among WHL defensemen) are no less outstanding than his defensive smarts. The only drawback to him is he is another left-handed shot, but the way he plays will make you forget about that. He moved to PA at 14 to play NA hockey and seems committed to making it in the NHL, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned about the Russian factor with this kid. FWIW Button has him ranked 8th on his January list.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
USHL top prospects game is on today at 7 central.

Though Erik Foley, Brent Gates and Robby Jackson are not playing... three of the USHL forwards who intrigue me the most. All pulled out of the game though with injuries.

Vili Saarijärvi, Nikita Pavlychev and Tanner Laczynski are though, I think all three could be interesting players in future.

Most of those 6 should be available from round 3 onwards.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
just looking for opinions. Any regrets with Morin pick in 2013? I know we needed d but with a guy like Domi on the board as well as Morrissey? Would anyone have drafted differently if they had the choice?

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
just looking for opinions. Any regrets with Morin pick in 2013? I know we needed d but with a guy like Domi on the board as well as Morrissey? Would anyone have drafted differently if they had the choice?

Too early to say. Don't think you can fully judge any player til they turn 24-25 and that applies to Morin even more so.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It's going to be a while before we fully know what we've got in Morin. Like, years. If he manages to hit his ceiling we'll have a better skating Chara on our hands. That's pretty damn tough to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille