Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
But with zona going to do some selling, and New Jersey as well, I don't think we have enough to catch them. The team picking 4th will end up with Marner or hanifan. Picking 5th would be a terrible spot for us, missing out on mcdavid,eichel,hanifan,Marner, well stuff happens, but why does it happen to us. Unless zona or New Jersey pulls a surprise, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You're selling Strome short. He's right up there with everyone else. Strome wouldn't be a bad consolation prize at all.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
You're selling Strome short. He's right up there with everyone else. Strome wouldn't be a bad consolation prize at all.

And who knows if we can get down to 4th or 5th pick, Hanifan could slip if the other teams take forwards. Just have to get down below Jersey and Arizona somehow.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

No he wouldn't but to me Strome appears to be the furthest away from the NHL out of him, Hanifin, & Marner.

He still needs to bulk up, improve on his skating, & show what he can do being the guy in Erie for a bigger sample size in my opinion.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Latest from central scouting:
1. Connor McDavid, C, Erie Otters
2. Jack Eichel, C, Boston University
3. Lawson Crouse, LW, Kitchener Rangers
4. Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College
5. Mitchell Marner, C, London Knights
6. Dylan Strome, C, Erie Otters
7. Zach Werenski, D, University of Michigan
8. Pavel Zacha, C, Sarnia Sting
9. Mikko Rantanen, RW, TPS Turku
10. Oliver Kylington, D, AIK
11. Kyle Connor, C, Youngstown
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/01/08/ce...l-draft-prospect-rankings-after-world-juniors

So if someone bites on Crouse early even with his lack of production, Hanifin could fall to 5 or even 6 if Strome continues to perform. I also think Werenski is a great get even if Hanifin is off the board. He is not that far behind. Here is a snippet from that link:
Zach Werenski, D, USA: “Zach showed why he keeps jumping up our list with his play in the WJCs. At times, he was more impressive than Noah Hanifin, his more highly touted teammate, and his overall skill set will prove to be very effective at the NHL level. Playing against grown men while playing at the University of Michigan has been good for his game and he will only continue to improve.†(Rank: 7)

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
I was thinking...near the draft...we should have a thread called Posters vs Hextall.

Then, for those guys who really follow the draft and players could put in who they would take with our picks when it is our turn to pick. Then we could look back on it over time and see who we would have taken and others would see it as well.

Might be a bit hard to do though based on how fast the non 1st rounder get picked.

Just an idea.

I would definitely participate in this. I had actually posted my personal picks at the time of this past draft. It's certainly fun tracking the progress of the players you would have selected.

Here's how I would've picked them the past two years:

2013:

11) Max Domi (7th on my draft list - went 12th overall; Wennberg and Morrissey were my next two BPA, ranked 8th and 10th, respectively)
41) Robert Hagg (41st overall, obviously)
72) Jackson Houck (94th overall)
132) Greg Chase (188th overall)
162) Viktor Arvidsson (undrafted in 2013; drafted 112th overall in 2014)
192) Kyle Burroughs (196th overall)

2014:

17) Robby Fabbri (6th on my draft list - went 21st overall; Bleackley and Barbashev were my next two BPA, ranked 9th and 10th, respectively)
48) Ryan Donato (56th overall)
86) Shane Gersich (134th overall)
138) Tyson Baillie (undrafted)
168) Kyle Jenkins (187th overall)
198) Reid Gardiner (undrafted)

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
I would be really satisfied with one of Hanifin/Marner/Strome
But what about Lawson Crouse...LW...big body do you like him?
I also like Jeremy Roy if we can find a 15th to 20th overall pick in a trade.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Yah sorry I do like Strome a lot. Some power forward traits, high end skill. So yah 5 would work nicely for us. its just gonna tricky with jersey and they only have 38 games left and we only play them once. Are they gonna take him or go off the board. And us as well, if strome is their at our pick, and we tend to take risers, but going bpa strome in a heartbeat. And if he's not, is it Kylington or werenski. I heard kylington is falling though. And werenski is close to hanifanhanifan but is rhd.
So if we nab a first for coburn, their will be lots of risers and fallers, maybe a guy like Meir.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I would be really satisfied with one of Hanifin/Marner/Strome
But what about Lawson Crouse...LW...big body do you like him?
I also like Jeremy Roy if we can find a 15th to 20th overall pick in a trade.

Crouse isn't a bad prospect but I don't think he deserves to be a top 8 pick. I wouldn't feel comfortable selecting him at all in the top 5 like some scouting services suggest.

AFTeRMaTH*

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Zacha
Rantanen
Kylington

Is the order of the players I want the Flyers to take.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm worried that we'll end up selecting somewhere between 6th to 8th... we really need to be in the top 5. We're not getting McDavid or Eichel so I really want one of Hanifin, Marner, or Strome... not that the other guys behind them aren't good prospects, but I think there's a decent drop off from 6 onward.

I wonder if we're going to end up picking a rapid riser again, like we did with Morin and Sanheim, or will we pick someone who was highly regarded all year?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I was thinking...near the draft...we should have a thread called Posters vs Hextall.

Then, for those guys who really follow the draft and players could put in who they would take with our picks when it is our turn to pick. Then we could look back on it over time and see who we would have taken and others would see it as well.

Might be a bit hard to do though based on how fast the non 1st rounder get picked.

Just an idea.

It would not be too hard to do, if people do their own top ~100-120 and then pick ~20 sleepers I imagine there is a player there in every round!

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
How do we catch jersey. Play emery lots. Us fans can be as crazy as the coach right. Strome would be awesome but werenski would be great to fall into our laps. Man a d of morin-werenski, sanheim-ghost,hagg-alt, that d would be crazy for a decade. With a couple cups with that crew.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Just an idea.

Don't we already do that? Seems like every time a pick is made there are gobs of posters saying they would have taken X instead of Y.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
No he wouldn't but to me Strome appears to be the furthest away from the NHL out of him, Hanifin, & Marner.

He still needs to bulk up, improve on his skating, & show what he can do being the guy in Erie for a bigger sample size in my opinion.

That's fine. Give him the two years in junior. Strome has magic hands that can't be taught. The straight ahead speed is fine with Strome as well, it's the cross over skating that he needs to improve. In terms of bulking up, he's 6'2, so there's lots of room for that.

Now, I like Marner (watch him a lot in London), but he's also another guy that needs to fill out a bit. He's growing height wise (he started the season listing in at 5'11, but he seems to be around the 6 - 6'1 mark now) but he still needs to put on about 20 to 25 pounds (he's only 164 pounds, so he's rather light - adding 20 to 25 pounds puts him in the 185 - 190 range).

Hanifin is probably the most physically ready, but he's only played a handful of games when compared to others. Would he be best served playing in Philadelphia or is it best that he plays in Lehigh Valley to get used to the pro grind? If that's the case, then it's a year for Hanifin.

I'm worried that the Flyers end up with the sixth pick and that's where the wild cards will begin to happen. It could get really interesting. They could either go with the safe pick here (Kylington) or they could try to hit a home run with a player who's scratching the surface (Crouse) or they could go with someone who's struggling, but could be poised for a big year next season in junior (Zacha). Sixth really worries me.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hanifin could be in the NHL next year depending on the team. He's ready physically & ready defensively it just comes down to whether a team would want to give him one year to see if he can grow offensively.

I seriously doubt Marner is over the 6 foot mark & while he's still lanky he'll have this summer & the next to bulk up. It's the only thing that will keep him in juniors next year & after he rips it up again next year it's likely going to be hard to justify keeping him down there for his final year.

6th overall would be a rougher spot though with no real obvious choice there.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's always a chance a team below us reaches for a player outside our consensus top 5.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There's always a chance a team below us reaches for a player outside our consensus top 5.

Maybe knocking Strome out but I really can't see Marner nor Hanifin being selected outside of the top 5.

Hell I could definitely see the Flyers being one of those teams that really like Crouse enough to use a top 5 pick on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad