Official 2015 Bruins Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Hope we take Svechnikov, elite offensive skill and competes very hard.

While he not be "good" at defense currently as is, hes the type of guy that lays his body out on the ice to block a slap shot even if the Eagles were down 2+ goals and then come out the next shift and score a highlight reel goal to spark the comeback.

Very competitive player, hates losing and will do whatever it takes, I have no doubt that he will work hard on the defensive side of the puck more next year and in the future.

One negative is that hes very passionate while playing and it sometimes leads to undisciplined penalties, the worst game I ever saw him play he took 4 different minor penalties and a 10 minute conduct. Obviously not a regular occurrence but just figured I'd mention that.

Also he ended the season with I want to say.. 28 points in the final 17 or 18 games playing center with a 52% faceoff percentage. Doubt he'll be a centerman in the pros but hes versatile.

If anyone has any questions about his game I'll do my best to answer, not a scout or anything but love his game.

He's a player that has grown on me as I've done some research on this draft. My favorite thing I heard about him was the GM or Coach for his team said:

"He's always at the gym or the last one off the ice. We realize he's not used to the rigors and length of season in the Q so sometimes we have to tell him to not go to the gym or take it easy after practice." (loosely quoted from what I remember)

Love when players have that passion for everything it takes to be a professional. That said he has a great shot, slick mitts and a good compete level.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
He's a player that has grown on me as I've done some research on this draft. My favorite thing I heard about him was the GM or Coach for his team said:

"He's always at the gym or the last one off the ice. We realize he's not used to the rigors and length of season in the Q so sometimes we have to tell him to not go to the gym or take it easy after practice." (loosely quoted from what I remember)

Love when players have that passion for everything it takes to be a professional. That said he has a great shot, slick mitts and a good compete level.

I think he goes mid to late first, so if we want him its gotta be at 14

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I'm with the majority here in that I don't want merkley. Plays on a great team with great players, that's why his stats are elevated. In general the reason I'd pause on guys like konecny, Connor, and other small skilled forwards is the likelihood bracco is available in the 2nd, who has just as much upside as any of them, and could be even greater. Size is growing less and less important as players like Tyler Johnson and Johnny gaudreau are excelling. A reason I'd pause on reaching for a big body like bittner and greenway is similar. Dergachyov is probably available in our spot in the 2nd as a high upside power forward, likely to slip because of where he's from. A Dman like zboril or kylington, a forward like white. Those are guys I'd target. Zboril for his defensive acumen, kylington for his pure skating and upside and white for his versatility (not to mention he dominated at u18s for usa).

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'm with the majority here in that I don't want merkley. Plays on a great team with great players, that's why his stats are elevated. In general the reason I'd pause on guys like konecny, Connor, and other small skilled forwards is the likelihood bracco is available in the 2nd, who has just as much upside as any of them, and could be even greater. Size is growing less and less important as players like Tyler Johnson and Johnny gaudreau are excelling. A reason I'd pause on reaching for a big body like bittner and greenway is similar. Dergachyov is probably available in our spot in the 2nd as a high upside power forward, likely to slip because of where he's from. A Dman like zboril or kylington, a forward like white. Those are guys I'd target. Zboril for his defensive acumen, kylington for his pure skating and upside and white for his versatility (not to mention he dominated at u18s for usa).

to be fair Connor isn't small at 6'1 183. http://thehockeywriters.com/kyle-connor-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/

I do like White, but don't like his offensive upside enough to pick him at 14. If Meier and Connor/Konecny are gone I would give Zboril a hard look at 14, he's my favorite D after Werenski

Kyle Connor does have the talent to be a late top 10 draft pick, but the 12-15 range is probably where he’ll end up.

NHL Potential:

1st line two-way center that plays in all scenarios (ES/PP/PK).

NHL comparison: Jonathan Toews

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Again with my Ducks jealousy. There's a few key stats to note here. (you can do this with other contenders CHI TPA etc too)

Average age
Average Ht/Wt
How the team was built

Lets compare. http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/tott.php?Bos

Boston:
Age - 28.7
Ht/Wt - 6'1 200.8

HOW BOS WAS BUILT
Drafted - 5 (i think it's 7. dont think they counted Spooner or Pasta yet)
Free agency 5
Waivers 0
Trades 12

Anaheim:
Age - 25.8
Ht/Wt - 6'2 205.4

HOW ANA WAS BUILT
Drafted - 18
Free agency 5
Waivers 0
Trades 14

My point in all this, is how poor drafting has really screwed us over. Could you imagine if the Leafs didn't suck so bad those two years and we miss out on Seguin and Hamilton? Or if we didn't get incredibly lucky with Pasta at 25? We would be picking in the top 5.

ANA is also significantly younger and bigger as well (not my main point but I'm still gonna point it out :laugh:)

Sweeney needs to turn the drafting around, and 14 and 37 need to hit. These players should be contributing by 2016 and be parts of the core/

Last edited:

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
MacKenzie is saying that the Bruins got pick compensation from EDM for Chiarelli. Did I miss something? What pick was it?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I had a dream that at the draft both Meier and Konency were available but the Bruins went way off the board to grab some lower ranked forward. Talk about a nightmare.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I had a dream that at the draft both Meier and Konency were available but the Bruins went way off the board to grab some lower ranked forward. Talk about a nightmare.

That wouldn't be completely unordinary. In fact it's not even all that insane that a guy universally lauded as a 17-25 type player goes in the top 15 and it wouldn't be considered off the board. Hardly as insane as when Calgary picked jankowski in the 1st (looks like a mistake) or again when they picked poirier (looks like a savvy decision). If players 1-11 or 12 that I truly want are gone then I wouldn't be freaking out if they grabbed a guy that was likely a late teens pick or low 20s if they felt he was a better fit than player ranked 13 or 14. My list is probably
1. Mcdavid (nope)
2. Eichel (nope)
3. Hanifin (nope)
4. Marner (nope)
5. Strome (nope)
6. Provorov (nope)
7. Werenski
8. Barzal
9. Crowse
10. Rantanen
11. Zacha

After that, anyone ranked 12-22 I'd be okay with I think, at least at the time. If they go a little off the board and it doesn't pan out, then it's time to criticize.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Guessing Dom or someone has mentioned him somewhere in this thread but any thoughts on Matthew Spencer at 37? Sounds like a plus skater, physical and some good offensive tools. Wondering if his defense is up to par? +/- generally doesn't mean much but wondering if he was just on a bad overall team?

member 96824

EDM picks the year (2015-2017)

no way the choose this year

In pretty surprising news, it doesn't have to be Edmonton's picks. Buffalo is sending Pittsburgh a conditional third between the Islanders and Canucks third rounders that they acquired through trade.

Not consistent with anything the NHL does because why would they ever value consistency?

Flying by night. I don't think anyone knows the ins and outs of this rule including the very executives that voted on it.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
In pretty surprising news, it doesn't have to be Edmonton's picks. Buffalo is sending Pittsburgh a conditional third between the Islanders and Canucks third rounders that they acquired through trade.

Not consistent with anything the NHL does because why would they ever value consistency?

Flying by night. I don't think anyone knows the ins and outs of this rule including the very executives that voted on it.

Ohhh that becomes an interesting choice for the Oil then. Do you give up the later Habs pick (#57) in a deep draft this year or work on the assumption that you aren't going to be as bad in 16/17 and give up the 2nd rounder say in the mid round.

If you're the B's do you want the Habs pick or one of those 2 out years. Could they theoretically just go and try to trade for the #60 pick and give the B's that one?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Ohhh that becomes an interesting choice for the Oil then. Do you give up the later Habs pick (#57) in a deep draft this year or work on the assumption that you aren't going to be as bad in 16/17 and give up the 2nd rounder say in the mid round.

If you're the B's do you want the Habs pick or one of those 2 out years. Could they theoretically just go and try to trade for the #60 pick and give the B's that one?

It will be the 2017 2nd no doubt in my mind. By then this rule will probably have been abolished and the compensation will be retroactively forgiven. The Devils could have lost the 30th pick or their next 1st. They picked their next first and by then the decision was overturned and they never lost anything. I hate this petty decision by the Bruins. Hate it. Now chiarelli can sign hamilton to an offer sheet and receive 0 PR backlash because the Bruins shot first. Had they not been petty, chiarelli would have lost face with other gms If he stole hamilton from the bs because he had handcuffed the bs salary cap wise the years before. Now the Bruins will maybe get a 2nd, and then a 1st and 3rd for hamilton. I'd rather Hamilton

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Colin white? Or Dan paille?
Now if he is Dan paille then he's not worth a 1st, but seeing as his floor might be that of an extremely effective 4th liner, penalty killer and leader with the chance for more- something to think about. Maybe not at 14 but if they traded back a few spots, picked up a low 2nd or 3rd and landed a sure think bottom 6 center/wing, I'd be happy, particularly since he can skate (unlike Caron/hamil.) other potential selections are Connor and konecny if they go forward. Both higher upside guys who if be happy with, but more a top 6 or bust with them.

I'm in the minority but think the Bruins have quite a bit in the top 6 skill department in the system. Pastrnak, Connolly, spooner, khoklachev, Marchand, krejci. All skilled guys looking to make impacts this season. Cehlarik, donato, heinen, farther away but of the same mold.

They lack what might sound like an oxymoron but high upside bottom line players. The Colton hargroves and bobby Robbins and Justin floreks might be adequate 4th line guys, but not impact ones, in the way paille was during their cup runs. White could be one of those impact 4th liners at his lowest potential based on his skating alone.

Still think a D is the biggest need, but also the riskiest considering the Bruins are picking high and can't afford a mistake at 14 this year. They have to hit one. Forward is easier to project. Also hoping Crouse falls because of his lack of upside and falls into the Bruins lap. It would be dougie hamilton all over again. No brainer

Great post- been watching White and I think he is long gone before us. The guy I am digging at 14 even if a reach is Zboril. What do you think is it just to early to take? I wouldn't care - it looks like they nailed pasta why not go after one of his countrymen

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Great post- been watching White and I think he is long gone before us. The guy I am digging at 14 even if a reach is Zboril. What do you think is it just to early to take? I wouldn't care - it looks like they nailed pasta why not go after one of his countrymen

I like zboril. Reminds me of Johnny boychuk a bit considering his build and skill set. Might be a better skater but not quite as physical. Not the same slapper but a better wrist shot. I'm fine with anyone that's been ranked by pundits anywhere from 12-22ish as long as the Bruins have faith in them. I won't crucify a pick until a year or 2 down the road if I don't like what I've seen. Like I've said I'm partial to white and zboril particularly in the 1st, so I probably live and die by my current faith in them (white more so than zboril). But anyone else be in Connor, Meier, konecny, etc. I'm a-ok with as long as they pan out

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like zboril. Reminds me of Johnny boychuk a bit considering his build and skill set. Might be a better skater but not quite as physical. Not the same slapper but a better wrist shot. I'm fine with anyone that's been ranked by pundits anywhere from 12-22ish as long as the Bruins have faith in them. I won't crucify a pick until a year or 2 down the road if I don't like what I've seen. Like I've said I'm partial to white and zboril particularly in the 1st, so I probably live and die by my current faith in them (white more so than zboril). But anyone else be in Connor, Meier, konecny, etc. I'm a-ok with as long as they pan out

I have not got my RL Draft Guide or ISS but RL May newsletter has Zboril at 30 and Roy at 12.

I agree with you on Zboril and White. I do get the impression this group of Sweeney, Gretzky, Bradley and scouts will not be following a standard list and anything could happen at 14. Fighting is slowly going out of the game but Zboril can toss them if need be- has good technique and is pretty tough. I'm all in on him but want to see what Woodlief has to say- not that he's all knowing but he's pretty good and certainly doesn't follow a script.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm rethinking my opinion on Merkley of late. I wrote him off pretty early as another Zach Hamill. Then he had a great playoff run and was one of the best players in the Memorial Cup, so I thought he deserved another look.

This is a great video to understand his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZo6ENtYyc

It shows basically a game's worth of shifts (playoffs, no less) and is not a just a highlight reel. Watch how many times he bodies players off pucks. He lays a big hit on Carlo, who is a 6'5 defenseman projected to go in the first round. His acceleration is much better than I was led to believe. He seems agile. He makes silky smooth passes and reads the play well. Showed good speed and good finish on his goal.

Unlike Hamill, who had a late September birthday, Merkley is one of the younger players in the draft (just turned 18 on May 23.). He also indisputably has a far stronger build. The kid is built like an english bulldog.

I see him more as a cross between Khokhlachev and Marchand. He is a righty shot, and can play the RW just as easily as center.

I'm not saying he's necessarily my guy at 14, but I won't be upset if the Bruins take him there. I'd still prefer Konecny, Connor, and Meier, but I'd have to put Markley in approximately the same level now. That's a good thing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It will be the 2017 2nd no doubt in my mind. By then this rule will probably have been abolished and the compensation will be retroactively forgiven. The Devils could have lost the 30th pick or their next 1st. They picked their next first and by then the decision was overturned and they never lost anything. I hate this petty decision by the Bruins. Hate it. Now chiarelli can sign hamilton to an offer sheet and receive 0 PR backlash because the Bruins shot first. Had they not been petty, chiarelli would have lost face with other gms If he stole hamilton from the bs because he had handcuffed the bs salary cap wise the years before. Now the Bruins will maybe get a 2nd, and then a 1st and 3rd for hamilton. I'd rather Hamilton

I doubt it.

Your tenuous connection between the B's receiving compensation and Chia offer-sheeting Dougie is one of the biggest stretches I have ever seen.

I guess we will see BUF offer-sheeting PIT players as well and Chia going after SJ guys also?

Please.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm rethinking my opinion on Merkley of late. I wrote him off pretty early as another Zach Hamill. Then he had a great playoff run and was one of the best players in the Memorial Cup, so I thought he deserved another look.

This is a great video to understand his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZo6ENtYyc

It shows basically a game's worth of shifts (playoffs, no less) and is not a just a highlight reel. Watch how many times he bodies players off pucks. He lays a big hit on Carlo, who is a 6'5 defenseman projected to go in the first round. His acceleration is much better than I was led to believe. He seems agile. He makes silky smooth passes and reads the play well. Showed good speed and good finish on his goal.

Unlike Hamill, who had a late September birthday, Merkley is one of the younger players in the draft (just turned 18 on May 23.). He also indisputably has a far stronger build. The kid is built like an english bulldog.

I see him more as a cross between Khokhlachev and Marchand. He is a righty shot, and can play the RW just as easily as center.

I'm not saying he's necessarily my guy at 14, but I won't be upset if the Bruins take him there. I'd still prefer Konecny, Connor, and Meier, but I'd have to put Markley in approximately the same level now. That's a good thing.

I never saw Zach play live in the WHL, but I did see him numerous times in PRO...and Merkley looks absolutely nothing like him. I have read here that he's not a good skater, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. He's quick when he needs to be, but a lot of the time it looks as if (without the puck) he's varying his stride to create lanes and to find open ice. Looks like a very intelligent and responsible player.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I doubt it.

Your tenuous connection between the B's receiving compensation and Chia offer-sheeting Dougie is one of the biggest stretches I have ever seen.

I guess we will see BUF offer-sheeting PIT players as well and Chia going after SJ guys also?

Please.

if those players could help those teams out, then yes. I wouldnt be mad at chiarelli for taking a low blow and giving the bruins a poison pill after they demanded compensation that they dont deserve just because theres a bad rule. If they waived their right to receive compensation and chiarelli gave the bruins a poison pill everyone would hate him for basically ruining the bruins cap and then capitalizing on it. everyone being the national public, including GMs around the league.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
if those players could help those teams out, then yes. I wouldnt be mad at chiarelli for taking a low blow and giving the bruins a poison pill after they demanded compensation that they dont deserve just because theres a bad rule. If they waived their right to receive compensation and chiarelli gave the bruins a poison pill everyone would hate him for basically ruining the bruins cap and then capitalizing on it. everyone being the national public, including GMs around the league.

It's not going to happen, but if you want to obsess over the possibility...knock yourself out :laugh:

ps there's already another thread for this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad