OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If you're over 60, especially with other conditions, COVID has a high fatality rate among tested people. We're talking about a strain identified less than 90 days ago that for all of the talk of it being a pandemic has killed less than 4500 people globally as of yesterday. Roughly half of the deaths in the US were in one facility located in Washington state ... elderly, sick, in close proximity ... the perfect storm for high fatality rate.

H1N1 is estimated to have killed 2-3x as many people in the US in 2009-10 as COVID19 has globally to date ... CDC estimates at 8800 to 18000 deaths in the US alone out of 270k + hospitalizations. This is far from the first new strain with an initially high fatality rate ... nor will it be the last. It is also unlikely to become the next Spanish Flu or Black Death. Perspective and common sense are lacking in reporting about this.

The advice from the WHO and CDC are the same common sense approaches for all viral diseases ... wash your hands, don't touch your face or stick fingers in orifices ... especially if you didn't wash them first, know the symptoms and seek medical attention if you have them, don't go around people if you're sick.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well my job is not one that can ever be done from home ( operate a printing press ), but they just installed a new work place policy that actually makes sense. Basically you need to be 100% healthy to come to work or they will send you home.

We've had another that's been out since last week with what I figure is the flu. He came back last night and they forced him to go back home until he was fully good to go.

I'm really hoping the government comes up with a plan on what to do for workers and forced quarantine because most Americans can not afford to be out of work for two solid weeks ( or longer )without pay. It would be bad enough to get this mess and then lose everything you have worked for because of it too.

Reactions: hockey diva

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I hate all the confusing information. Either the governor of the state or the mayor of NYC said today on CNN that you had to basically be hit in the face by the fluids of someone coughing or sneezing, not from surfaces .... then the next video was showing people wiping down ATM's, outdoor benches and spraying sidewalks.

That's mixed messages for you.

Thanks for any reliable info you can provide V82.

Also heard as many as 100,000,000 (roughly 1/3 the population) US infections are on average, given the conservative estimate of 1% in the US that's a million deaths here. Glad I live out in the country and self isolating is my norm, maybe seeing anyone face to face a couple times a week is on par, even with my age and preexisting conditions I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be around for next season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
@PredsV82 any idea how long this thing might live on surfaces? I hit lots of buttons and touch lots of surfaces so kind of wonder if that is a concern. The main control panel is pretty easy to wipe down, the rest of it not so much.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Looks like the party is over.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="#BREAKING hashtag on Twitter">#BREAKING</a> The NHL will have a statement re: the remainder of the season tonight. ... Personally I&#39;d be shocked if they didn&#39;t follow the NBA&#39;s lead and postpone games</p>&mdash; Kevin McGran (@kevin_mcgran) <a href="">March 12, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If these guys can’t play sports then what does that say for the rest of us? These guys are young and in shape so the least likely to have any real issue. The leagues are likely out a lot of money if they do this. How does regular joe going to work tomorrow process this? I imagine it would be easy to come to a simple conclusion: ‘what do they know that I don’t?’

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
They didn’t cancel until one of the players tested positive.
That's the thing. It's one thing to play games in empty buildings. They would have been happy to do that. They still get their TV money and all. But as soon as a player gets it, that goes out the window. You can't have them playing and transmitting it to each other and their families etc.

They're going to shut it down. At least we're in a Wild Card spot right now... uh, wait, depending on tonight's Jets game? :eek:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
If these guys can’t play sports then what does that say for the rest of us? These guys are young and in shape so the least likely to have any real issue. The leagues are likely out a lot of money if they do this. How does regular joe going to work tomorrow process this? I imagine it would be easy to come to a simple conclusion: ‘what do they know that I don’t?’

The unfortunate reality is sports leagues can suspend their businesses without worrying about bankrupting their employees or their businesses. Most everyday businesses with everyday workers can't do this.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Once testing becomes more readily available I would imagine each league could test their players and then hold games in empty arenas. However, one might look at that as a gross misuse of those tests.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
@PredsV82 any idea how long this thing might live on surfaces? I hit lots of buttons and touch lots of surfaces so kind of wonder if that is a concern. The main control panel is pretty easy to wipe down, the rest of it not so much.

I'm pretty sure I just saw a study claiming 3 day survival on surfaces, which sucks...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Sorry to break form the COVID discussion, but the weather reporting leading up to tonight is trending eerily similar to the reporting leading up to last Tuesday. Storms tonight should even roll through around the same time.

Just stay alert and be prepared. Hopefully it's nothing like most storms, but it never hurts to be ready for something worse.

Reactions: Jonesey

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I forgot to ask in all of this pandemic talk, was anyone in our HFcommunity actually affected directly by the tornado?

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Sorry to break form the COVID discussion, but the weather reporting leading up to tonight is trending eerily similar to the reporting leading up to last Tuesday. Storms tonight should even roll through around the same time.

Just stay alert and be prepared. Hopefully it's nothing like most storms, but it never hurts to be ready for something worse.

Agreed.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I forgot to ask in all of this pandemic talk, was anyone in our HFcommunity actually affected directly by the tornado?
Just power outages for me. But I was lucky. The pictures of one of the leveled schools, two leveled churches and a daycare are all within a mile or two of my house and work (in more than one direction!)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Just power outages for me. But I was lucky. The pictures of one of the leveled schools, two leveled churches and a daycare are all within a mile or two of my house and work (in more than one direction!)
This is something I can never imagine. Finland doesn't experience any natural disasters and life is generally really safe here.
Is the landscape also really flat in TN? That probably causes some of the damage locally.
Hate to hear about the effects of the tornado but that's one thing mother nature constantly throws at the US.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is something I can never imagine. Finland doesn't experience any natural disasters and life is generally really safe here.
Is the landscape also really flat in TN? That probably causes some of the damage locally.
Hate to hear about the effects of the tornado but that's one thing mother nature constantly throws at the US.
Where I live is relatively flat, there are gently rolling hills and one true hill next to the river--and some homes were destroyed there but they were on a high bluff. It's right next to the Stones River and looking at the map it seems the tornado followed the river at least for awhile. The land in Nashville is pretty diverse. There is flat, rolling hills, and part of the south and western area has pretty high hills. But flat certainly gets more of the damage.

Funny thing is people from other areas have the idea that Nashville is part of the Smoky Mountains and it's just...not! You have to go 50 miles east just to get to the foothills!

Reactions: JustaFinnishGuy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad