OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Awkward to follow up without context but continuing with 'JustaFinnishGuy' the fan cooler on the 2700X is rated really well. Currently I don't have a program that shows the specific temperatures, and rebooting and going into UEFI with nothing else running to check temps isn't really effective. I had Speccy running on my other PC but it has a bug related to the new processor. Been told that the Celsius and Fahrenheit are mixed up or it is just glitchy. Was showing CPU as over 90 degrees C. and that was supposed to be F. Since that's buggy I don't trust the program. Do you have an trusted on screen display for temps app?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I could star in one of those DNA test commercials where they thought they were one nationality and turned out to be something else.

I got a kit as a gift for my birthday and just got the results yesterday. Always assumed I was mostly Italian based on all four grandparents on my mom's side immigrating from Italy in the early 20th century, on my dad's side it was never discussed much other than saying there was a big mixed bag of nationalities and nobody really knew... turns out i'm only 30% Italian and 34% Scottish, and obviously quite a mix of other stuff, only 10% Dutch despite having a Dutch surname.

Fascinating stuff, i'd recommend it to anyone who has been thinking. The kit I got was from 23 and me, they give you a lot more information (that i'm obviously not going to share here) than just a breakdown of where your DNA comes from.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I could star in one of those DNA test commercials where they thought they were one nationality and turned out to be something else.

I got a kit as a gift for my birthday and just got the results yesterday. Always assumed I was mostly Italian based on all four grandparents on my mom's side immigrating from Italy in the early 20th century, on my dad's side it was never discussed much other than saying there was a big mixed bag of nationalities and nobody really knew... turns out i'm only 30% Italian and 34% Scottish, and obviously quite a mix of other stuff, only 10% Dutch despite having a Dutch surname.

Fascinating stuff, i'd recommend it to anyone who has been thinking. The kit I got was from 23 and me, they give you a lot more information (that i'm obviously not going to share here) than just a breakdown of where your DNA comes from.
Agree those things are awesome. WW2 played a number on european heritage for sure. My wife was born in Scotland and we both did the kits.... I’m more British than she is and it’s not even close!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm leery of what all this DNA data is being used for. I'm not usually that sort of person--I will happily give my favorite ice cream flavor in order to find out what country I should live in because duh, Canada WHAT DO YOU MEAN ESTONIA??? -- but for some reason this one gives me pause. Also, what if I found out I'm NOT even a little bit Dutch? I'd be crushed.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm leery of what all this DNA data is being used for. I'm not usually that sort of person--I will happily give my favorite ice cream flavor in order to find out what country I should live in because duh, Canada WHAT DO YOU MEAN ESTONIA??? -- but for some reason this one gives me pause. Also, what if I found out I'm NOT even a little bit Dutch? I'd be crushed.
23andMe Is Terrifying, but Not for the Reasons the FDA Thinks

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

I already considered that, I had long assumed that participating in these types of things would mean handing your DNA information to a huge database that could later be sold or stolen. I don't see how it's a whole lot different than participating in google or facebook or any number of social sites, even signing up for loyalty cards at stores and just about everything we do now. These days, everyone has your data, it's not about keeping your data private but about protecting yourself when it inevitably falls into the wrong hands.

Anyway, there were several opt-in/out steps along the way, including one to have all of your data deleted and your DNA destroyed after receiving your results.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I already considered that, I had long assumed that participating in these types of things would mean handing your DNA information to a huge database that could later be sold or stolen. I don't see how it's a whole lot different than participating in google or facebook or any number of social sites, even signing up for loyalty cards at stores and just about everything we do now. These days, everyone has your data, it's not about keeping your data private but about protecting yourself when it inevitably falls into the wrong hands.

Anyway, there were several opt-in/out steps along the way, including one to have all of your data deleted and your DNA destroyed after receiving your results.
Yeah, it wouldn't stop me either. But I would definitely do it fully expecting that I was giving my data to Skynet, and for all I know Cyberdyne would be able to design custom biowarfare that would allow them to wipe me and my descendants and relatives from the face of the earth at will when the day comes.

But they could get that anyway just by sending their nanobots to collect samples at the office, or during checkups, etc. It's not exactly data that you can ever keep out of the hands of Skynet if they ever truly wanted it.

Um, sort of like I'm posting this at work, despite knowing full well my every keystroke is being monitored by corporate HQ. You guys rock! :thumbu:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I did mine several years ago and its about as boring as I hoped it wouldn't be. My last name is Evans, which is a very Welsh name. My mothers maiden name is Nichols, which is a northern French name. Ended up 70% southern Britain ( which is
Wales) and northern France, which are generally close enough genetically they are often grouped together. Other 30% was Scots-Irish which isn't surprising being both families migrated through Tennessee and into northern Arkansas ( ozarks).

I'm not really worried about the DNA thing. With as much blood as I have drawn for medical reasons they probably would have it from it anyways.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm not really worried about the DNA thing. With as much blood as I have drawn for medical reasons they probably would have it from it anyways.

True enough. I have blood drawn every 2 months...if they want my info I'm sure they could get it. Still, they might have to go through a few more hoops.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Hate to break it to you but the ancestry part of those tests is pseudoscientific baloney. No real statistical validity to those numbers. They should come with a "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer

Reactions: Viqsi and NNCbama

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Hate to break it to you but the ancestry part of those tests is pseudoscientific baloney. No real statistical validity to those numbers. They should come with a "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer

I think it's a bit more accurate than what you're trying to represent here. Based on reading up on this (including publications from genetics organizations), and then seeing how my results pretty much agree, with a slight variation, with what I know of my family history, including a bit that my mom had gotten from a different company that we hadn't known and also showed up on mine. I got a small surprise, but nothing crazy that couldn't have been expected.

Sure there's the story of identical twins getting different results, but that was still only like .1-1% difference per ethnicity listed. But it seems that the larger the sample size (and it's growing constantly) that the company has, the more accurate. I felt like they also left a fair bit of the unknown in the results, for example a % is "General Europe" or "North Africa" which is rather unspecific, and while it claims to pinpoint down to regions on some ethnicities, on others they specify that they do not have enough data to make a more accurate assumption.

edit: I don't know about the other companies doing this, but 23 and me allows you to adjust the results based on a level of "confidence". So the minimum confidence needed to predict results is 50% in which case you would get more detailed results, but it's labeled as more speculative. If you raise it all the way up to 90% confidence, you get more broad results and it's labeled as more conservative.

They also have pages upon pages detailing the process and the limitations, though I'm certain most people don't read all of that, and if you did you would see that these kits are only really good for people with European heritage as there is almost no information on African and Asian ancestry.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Awkward to follow up without context but continuing with 'JustaFinnishGuy' the fan cooler on the 2700X is rated really well. Currently I don't have a program that shows the specific temperatures, and rebooting and going into UEFI with nothing else running to check temps isn't really effective. I had Speccy running on my other PC but it has a bug related to the new processor. Been told that the Celsius and Fahrenheit are mixed up or it is just glitchy. Was showing CPU as over 90 degrees C. and that was supposed to be F. Since that's buggy I don't trust the program. Do you have an trusted on screen display for temps app?
I don't have an app to monitor my CPU temps. I know it's bad to not do so but now that I checked, they were around 30-40C when idling and about 60-70 when playing games. Over 90 is pushing it imo. I checked my temps with something called ''Core temp''.
I have also overclocked my 4690K so I'd say my cooler is doing more than fine.
There are some others that you can also check out, like HWinfo.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think it's a bit more accurate than what you're trying to represent here. Based on reading up on this (including publications from genetics organizations), and then seeing how my results pretty much agree, with a slight variation, with what I know of my family history, including a bit that my mom had gotten from a different company that we hadn't known and also showed up on mine. I got a small surprise, but nothing crazy that couldn't have been expected.

Sure there's the story of identical twins getting different results, but that was still only like .1-1% difference per ethnicity listed. But it seems that the larger the sample size (and it's growing constantly) that the company has, the more accurate. I felt like they also left a fair bit of the unknown in the results, for example a % is "General Europe" or "North Africa" which is rather unspecific, and while it claims to pinpoint down to regions on some ethnicities, on others they specify that they do not have enough data to make a more accurate assumption.
Judging by the headaches we go through with ancestry clustering during data cleaning, if it is more accurate than that, it isn't by much.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Start new job, arthritis pain, catch the office bug, feel like all the power in my body gone.
Been sick since the first of the year and we bought a new house right before Christmas. So much I haven't been able to get done just because it takes all I have to go to work. So I feel your pain.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Been sick since the first of the year and we bought a new house right before Christmas. So much I haven't been able to get done just because it takes all I have to go to work. So I feel your pain.

Ditto. At least I have my caffeine extract to supplement.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Why birds have trust issues!

upload_2020-1-16_19-50-42.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad