OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know this is a pretty small board and most of you know me but for the benefit of the lurkers or the uninitiated reading this thread, one of us in this conversation is a physician, if you're trying to decide who to believe.
The thing with modern society in the age of fake news and conspiracy theories however... you may get even less respect for your statements as a result. Authority figures, climate scientists, doctors... pick your poison, anybody who says anything that doesn't fit with what somebody just decides to believe on their own isn't going to be heard. They're just trying to manipulate things or serve an agenda. The age of willful ignorance is upon us. :help:

Reactions: JR303 and LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The thing with modern society in the age of fake news and conspiracy theories however... you may get even less respect for your statements as a result. Authority figures, climate scientists, doctors... pick your poison, anybody who says anything that doesn't fit with what somebody just decides to believe on their own isn't going to be heard. They're just trying to manipulate things or serve an agenda. The age of willful ignorance is upon us. :help:

Once that stance is decided it's like the freaking Alamo up there.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
What.The.f*** is going on in here? The US mortality rate is much higher right now, but I also think it will go down if we can get tests out reliably. Saying that there isnt much to worry about when discussing an airborne virus that has no vaccine is just dumb.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Please keep in mind I'm not one of these, I'm having a private discussion with him to make sure numbers and things are accurate. I'm not someone that just grabs things from his buddies Facebook feed and then tries to act like its gospel. I'm always learning.

And yes I've heard some conspiracy theories, but I'd also like to clarify that at no point did I say I gave any of them credence. Which is why I put the :p in there.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Will verify that AB and I are having a more extensive discussion in PM and hes being reasonable, which is cool

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Will verify that AB and I are having a more extensive discussion in PM and hes being reasonable, which is cool
Well hey, I for one wouldn't mind if you guys did that publicly here. I'd be all for learning more about it too. But I guess in this post-hf politics board world, we also have less latitude for straying off topic from hockey stuff. :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well hey, I for one wouldn't mind if you guys did that publicly here. I'd be all for learning more about it too. But I guess in this post-hf politics board world, we also have less latitude for straying off topic from hockey stuff. :(
Could just take it to offtopic

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Bottom line, COVID is easier to catch than previous "bad" viruses like SARS. If the public health people take what seem like Draconian measures, try to be patient and understand that we are at desperation level trying to mitigate a disease which could kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

That said, good handwashing absolutely is the most effective thing you can do to help. But by itself it's not going to be enough. And soap is much more effective than hand sanitizer, so hoard Dial not Purell.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Bottom line, COVID is easier to catch than previous "bad" viruses like SARS. If the public health people take what seem like Draconian measures, try to be patient and understand that we are at desperation level trying to mitigate a disease which could kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

That said, good handwashing absolutely is the most effective thing you can do to help. But by itself it's not going to be enough. And soap is much more effective than hand sanitizer, so hoard Dial not Purell.

Thank you. Please note, I dn't quite have a 'death wish' I have a, 'I don't really care if I die wish' I hear stats where 3.4% death rate and 17% death rate for 70 years old and up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No. It's actually already mutated into a stronger strain
Yikes. What about double whammys? Say you didn't get your flu vaccine this year. Can you get hit by influenza, then kicked while you're down by Covid-19? Would that be like extra bad?

Half my office is coughing today. I don't know if that's just normal and I don't usually notice it, or...? We're all flying all over the place all the time. Nobody is freaking out or anything, but I guess the jokes are slightly nervous ones sometimes.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I’m trying to figure out if they are planning on quarantine for large cities on this issue. I know sports and events are the logical first step but some cities and places are shutting down so I’m not worried about economy or anything just worried about being shut in for an extended time

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I am not enough of a virologist to know if having the flu or other viral illnesses, especially the nonCOVID19 coronaviruses actually helps by priming the immune system or hurts by wearing you out before COVID hits...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I am not enough of a virologist to know if having the flu or other viral illnesses, especially the nonCOVID19 coronaviruses actually helps by priming the immune system or hurts by wearing you out before COVID hits...

My sister (PharmD) tells me that having the flu before or during, doesn't increase or reduce your chances of getting Corona, but if you had them simultaneously it would increase your risk for developing complications such as pneumonia which is usually what actually kills people with either disease.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My sister (PharmD) tells me that having the flu before or during, doesn't increase or reduce your chances of getting Corona, but if you had them simultaneously it would increase your risk for developing complications such as pneumonia which is usually what actually kills people with either disease.

Yeah concurrent infection would be brutal

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Interesting discussion. I've heard 2% deaths from flu rather than 0.02%, though that does seem pretty high as it would mean for every 10 million people catching the flu, 200,000 would die compared to 20,000. It's more likely to be 0.2%.

As for the higher numbers quoted for elderly deaths from covid, I don't put much faith in those because we don't know the real number of people who are infected. 7 deaths in a 100 people would be 7%. In 10,000 it would be significantly lower. We need information and for that we need tests.

Reactions: PredsV82

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Seconded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad